if you que as a random dps you should quit.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
i have been through 3 random groups and as soon as we get chained not one of you idiots have spent that past 4 months or so to learn to kill that thing that chains us together before you all die....

take 1 minute to learn what is going on. people shouldn't have to hold your hands.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not being a !@%# when the content is new to a significant chunk of the player base is also a pretty good idea. Not everyone reads websites to learn the strategies to kill bosses before they're even released. Hell, I follow most of the news and I don't know what most of the new instance bosses do; I've never been able to pick up strategies just by reading text, so I tend to wipe once or twice, learn the mechanic, and move on.

Bottom line: if you know the fight and it's new content, offer to explain. Don't be an ass.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
12/07/2010 12:55 AMPosted by Brewpounder
i have been through 3 random groups and as soon as we get chained not one of you idiots have spent that past 4 months or so to learn to kill that thing that chains us together before you all die....

take 1 minute to learn what is going on. people shouldn't have to hold your hands.

I'm going to queue as random DPS and deliberately wipe the group if I see your name in there.

But the rest of the time I'll be patient, try to learn and ask when I don't know a fight. You know, like pretty much all the players who post on the forums. The bad players - they never come here, your advice is wasted.
Reply Quote
35 Troll Priest
I hear marking be hard, mon.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
12/07/2010 5:08 AMPosted by Eddo
Let's not go too hard on the OP here, let's keep in mind that it is a good player's responsibility to ask about new mechanics and fights before they move on to a big fight. If there is a boss that you haven't seen before you must simply ask. And if you feel like someone is doing it wrong, explain to them.

Some people are too shy even on a video game to ask questions, whether it's because of bad English or afraid of getting kicked out. But being nice will go along way!! The only time that I got mad at someone was at twin emperors fight, because a DK just couldn't get it right. So I had to yell at him and make him feel bad and stupid in front of everyone for his own good.

While I agree new players should ask, it's also not bad policy for those that know the fight to ask if anyone needs an explanation or not. I typically do that on new fights, because there's always, Always, one person that doesn't really know what's going on.

On another note, just doing the LFD leveling up again is teaching some players leveling new toons how the game is supposed to work. Dying in Strath isn't history anymore, it's a reality, and it happens a lot with bad players. Granted it always was with the damn web silence combined with the gargoyle silence but no one really ran it for a long time and now we are again. Of course, some players, like the ret paladin that tried to heal, and then tank using a 2 hander and chain casting exo, just have no hope for them and don't warrant wasting your breath.
Reply Quote
12/07/2010 5:35 AMPosted by Dyse
Let's not go too hard on the OP here, let's keep in mind that it is a good player's responsibility to ask about new mechanics and fights before they move on to a big fight. If there is a boss that you haven't seen before you must simply ask. And if you feel like someone is doing it wrong, explain to them.

Some people are too shy even on a video game to ask questions, whether it's because of bad English or afraid of getting kicked out. But being nice will go along way!! The only time that I got mad at someone was at twin emperors fight, because a DK just couldn't get it right. So I had to yell at him and make him feel bad and stupid in front of everyone for his own good.

While I agree new players should ask, it's also not bad policy for those that know the fight to ask if anyone needs an explanation or not. I typically do that on new fights, because there's always, Always, one person that doesn't really know what's going on.

On another note, just doing the LFD leveling up again is teaching some players leveling new toons how the game is supposed to work. Dying in Strath isn't history anymore, it's a reality, and it happens a lot with bad players. Granted it always was with the damn web silence combined with the gargoyle silence but no one really ran it for a long time and now we are again. Of course, some players, like the ret paladin that tried to heal, and then tank using a 2 hander and chain casting exo, just have no hope for them and don't warrant wasting your breath.

I never ask if people need an explanation. I just give it anyway. If they know it, worst that'll happen is they'll say "Dude, we know, let's get on with it". But if they don't know it, well, now they do.

In Beta, after I learned the fights, I started explaining them to everyone else whether they asked or not. And it did help, because I find that if you ask them if they know the fight, no one will respond, the tank will pull, everyone will wipe, and someone will say "It's not my fault, I just didn't know the fight". Seems ridiculous that that could happen, but it definitely does. A lot.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I didn't know about the chains the first time.

The second time I advised everyone in the group of them.

It's called learning and working as a team. It's not hard unless you're a baboon.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
12/07/2010 1:40 PMPosted by Jezziro
I didn't know about the chains the first time.

The second time I advised everyone in the group of them.

It's called learning and working as a team. It's not hard unless you're a baboon.

do you mean chains like the mobs in CoT: Hillsbrad Foothills?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior

I remember the first time that I ran Trial of the Crusader (Dungeon)

I started the Instance by typing into the party chat "Hi I have never done this one before"

No one said anything, they started up the instance, a couple of guys on horses killed me and then they vote kicked me

You remind me of one of those players, get off the high horse, it will only be a matter of time before everyone can faceroll and sleepwalk through the content again

Just try to remember a time when the game was about experimenting, discovering new content and having fun and not about power leveling, server firsts and getting a high score
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
Learning takes time.
Reply Quote
A wipe doesn't equal the end of the world... People like me have trouble learning how to do things without being able to put it into practice, so I never bothered to read up on the dungeons beforehand. I run through and look at the bosses after, otherwise the information disappears like it was never there. And you know what? I'm not sorry. It's way more fun this way. So someone may die, that's life. It's the easiest way to learn. We're not all going to be pro the first day the game is released, and I'm immensely grateful for that.

Go run with some friends. If you can't have fun with us while we learn, then you shouldn't join a pug the first day the game is live. Or week. Probably month. Let's just go with "Ever."

~edit
Make a macro explaining the troublesome encounters. Then all you do is push a button and that's that. I might do that now, actually.
Edited by Janaire on 12/7/2010 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I ran with guildies to learn the mechanics of BRC and Throne. We wiped once (killed all the little dogs, whoops).

I may consider running it as random, but probably not. Capped on JP already.

BTW I'm a tank. The OP should not be so insulting to DPS. Educate, and if people aren't willing to listen, kick them. But be patient. I'm sure you didn't do everything perfectly the first time.
Edited by Dekkar on 12/7/2010 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

This. A lot of the problems with the playerbase are because of players like the OP. As a player who knows the fight, it is your responsibility to makes sure everyone knows what is going on; especially on new encounters. It is both ignorant and stupid to expect people to go to outside sources to learn an encounter (this falls on Blizzard's shoulders as well).

You learn through wiping. figure out what went wrong, educate your TEAMmates, and move forward. If you are not willing to educate your fellow players, then expect to wipe (you may not want to be playing an MMO either).

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/07/2010 3:07 PMPosted by Janaire
A wipe doesn't equal the end of the world... People like me have trouble learning how to do things without being able to put it into practice, so I never bothered to read up on the dungeons beforehand. I run through and look at the bosses after, otherwise the information disappears like it was never there. And you know what? I'm not sorry. It's way more fun this way. So someone may die, that's life. It's the easiest way to learn. We're not all going to be pro the first day the game is released, and I'm immensely grateful for that.

Go run with some friends. If you can't have fun with us while we learn, then you shouldn't join a pug the first day the game is live. Or week. Probably month. Let's just go with "Ever."

This is a great point. One wipe can provide more information on how to perform a fight than pages worth of theory crafting on some website.

Telling someone how to ride a bike is nowhere near as effective as allowing them to get their hands on the machine and give it a go.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Take 1 minute to teach someone...?

I dunno, I'm probably too old school, but I find figuring out what's waiting for you in a game is part of the fun of playing it don't you think?

How boring would it be if you're just "moving" through the world because you've seen it all, studied it all and know exactly what's coming.

But, different strokes for different folks I guess. Just don't lament the fact that there will be plenty of players who want Cata to be "new", not just "opened".
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

lol someone is jelly
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]