New to Prot Pally Tanking

68 Blood Elf Death Knight
Just posted this on the Tanking section, but figured this would probably be a more suitable place to post this,

Just started tanking today, so I am getting used to everything. I know about the different spells and buffs, such as the Seal of Righteousness I believe.

Anyways, is there a specific rotation that I should follow? I know that at 15 I don't have much room to work with due to the lack of spells, so I'm just going off of common sense.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
In short: HoR every 3 seconds, and in between each HoR use an ability. When you get 3 Holy Power, use SoR as that ability. I'm not too familiar with what generates the most threat, but AS is up there very high. Just pick whatever ability's not on cooldown.
Reply Quote
AS to pull,
HoR-Jd-HoR-AS/HW*-HoR-WoG/SoR**, thats the basic rotation for multi target, for one target, replace HoR with CS and thats it.

* - Use the one thats not on cooldown.
** - WoG is good to get a lil load of the healer and build a little threat. SoR hits like a truck, best use with 3 holy power charges, and it builds a lot of threat. You'll have to decide based on the situation.
Edited by Ravlaor on 12/7/2010 3:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I always use HoR over CS, Judgement replaces whatever mana I use. More holy damage = more threat.

Basically, HoR whenever it is off cooldown (i.e. every other ability), and I follow up with Word of Glory to keep it easy on the healer and (if specced) for the extra mitigation.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
When you're dealing with mob trash, I prefer HotR over CS. The AoE isn't precise, but that's not bad in my opinion; I'd rather draw the agg of patrols that I've got my back to than let them slip past me and catch the healer.

In different situations, different circumstances apply. If the oft-rumored "CC matters again!" situations start showing up, use CS. Breaking CC by mistake is a Bad Thing. (Note that as of yesterday, I hadn't seen a need for CC in the slightest. YMMV.)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Common sense should work fine up until you get a good amount of talent tree abilites and passives and tons of activated abilities.

Eventually you get a triple taunt and 2-3 area of effect spells, and it's pretty straight forward.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Don't use Exorcism, unless you're using it to grab mobs at the beginning of the pull. At which time, you should prefer Avenger's Shield or Hand of Reckoning if at all possible.

I feel like this should be common sense, and yet...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]