Guild Experience Change

85 Night Elf Druid
This seems very unnecessary and very hastily done. Please fix it back just as quickly. Learn from your mistakes. All this did was allow people to work towards a common goal in a game they enjoy. Where are the voices of support for this change?
85 Gnome Warlock
Horrible, knee-jerk decision.

Should have been a temporary measure to allow time to consider the options.

A lot of posts here reflect my disappointment so nothing to add that hasn't already been said.
100 Human Mage
12/07/2010 6:15 PMPosted by Pattyfathead
How are the realm firsts going to work, like guild level 25. Now that every guild levels at the exact same pace? Is it just whoever gets the most people to log in at 2AM and turn in the most quests right away on the last day?

I wonder this myself. Honestly they should just remove the guild level 25 server first - there's no point to having it now.
1 Draenei Warrior
Such Angry people
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Let me tell you a little story about a little cow out in Zul'drak farming ore.

So I was minding my own business, mining some cobalt before work. Being that this is the first day of a glorious new expansion, I quickly perused the brand new highly-touted guild achievement system and had a moment of realization--my little cow was actually doing something beneficial for the guild by contributing to Mighty Miners. Not knowing of the startling announcement I'd be greeted with, I felt a sense of purpose and pride mining that lonely cobalt, because I thought I was doing something good for the guild.

Purpose. Being a contributor. Thinking of a cause other than yourself. Teamwork.

All concepts which have been widely lost in the past expansion.

I was really, really looking forward to completing achievements with my guild for a reason. Not just because it's a shiny number, but because it provides a real, almost tangible benefit to my guild. Feeling like I'm helping my guild become better and a more cohesive unit.

And with one swift blue post, it was all destroyed.

As so many others have pointed out, you've singlehandly demolished the entire reason for doing guild achievements. There is now absolutely no difference between any guild and any other guild.

I can understand trying to protect the smaller guilds, but (most) smaller guilds really don't want this. We wanted to work together to earn our perks by doing certain achievements. We wanted a real motivation to do something other than the current raid tier. Now, you might as well arbitrarily release Guild Level 25 on X day for all guilds. :/

12/07/2010 5:58 PMPosted by Ocultnix
Congratulations, you've created guild achievements, they're exactly the same as personal achievements that people already have, but now you want an entire guild to do them, again, for what? A sense of belonging to your guild? I have a sense of belonging to my guild because I help them with quests, dungeons, I talk to them on a daily basis. I don't need to run RFC to reaffirm my status in my own guild, and I get no sense of accomplishment just because I'm doing it with guildies.

I would, however, do it if it gave me even the tiniest boost of guild xp. Even at an extremely reduced level. Let people set themselves apart from other guilds by leveling via different achievements. Oh cool the best guild on the server did glory of the cataclysm raider, lets try to catch up to them by massacreing the poor critters across azeroth tonight guys! Break out the stormchops it's crittergeddon time!

This needs to be re-read again and again until it's ingrained in the minds of whoever thought of this horrific, unwanted change. Look how the poster was actually motivated to do something with the guild. I haven't been motivated in this game in months. The achievement system was going to change that...

I wouldn't leave my guild if I had fond memories of late nights trying to level my guild by smiting as many creatures as I could. I'd become too attached to the people I did it with.

I'm not going to say "please reconsider", because I think it was pretty terrible to make this kind of a change on launch day.

You need to reconsider this change for the health of the player base and guilds as a whole. This one change has completely negated the purpose of implementing guild leveling (to encourage guilds to be more cohesive and to be less likely to guild hop).
85 Goblin Priest
Acheivements are worthless, but some are required to gain perks, it doesn't make any sense at all. If a 10m strict guild gets server first over (level 25) one of the top 5 heroic ICC guilds its more broken than being 1500th in the queue.
85 Tauren Warrior
Could we get the person that made this call to come down here and explain it to us? The Community Managers here are very generous in taking their time to make posts. But as I understand it, they are just the messengers. Can we get someone that was part of the decision making process here, to go through the logical rational they used to make these changes?

The blue post doesn't go over that process. It just states balance concerns, and their fix, was to create a greater imbalance, that doesn't make sense to me.
100 Human Paladin
12/07/2010 6:35 PMPosted by Persephøne
Let me tell you a little story about a little cow out in Zul'drak farming ore.

So I was minding my own business, mining some cobalt before work. Being that this is the first day of a glorious new expansion, I quickly perused the brand new highly-touted guild achievement system and had a moment of realization--my little cow was actually doing something beneficial for the guild by contributing to Mighty Miners. Not knowing of the startling announcement I'd be greeted with, I felt a sense of purpose and pride mining that lonely cobalt, because I thought I was doing something good for the guild.

Purpose. Being a contributor. Thinking of a cause other than yourself. Teamwork.

All concepts which have been widely lost in the past expansion.

I was really, really looking forward to completing achievements with my guild for a reason. Not just because it's a shiny number, but because it provides a real, almost tangible benefit to my guild. Feeling like I'm helping my guild become better and a more cohesive unit.

And with one swift blue post, it was all destroyed.

As so many others have pointed out, you've singlehandly demolished the entire reason for doing guild achievements. There is now absolutely no difference between any guild and any other guild.

I can understand trying to protect the smaller guilds, but (most) smaller guilds really don't want this. We wanted to work together to earn our perks by doing certain achievements. We wanted a real motivation to do something other than the current raid tier. Now, you might as well arbitrarily release Guild Level 25 on X day for all guilds. :/

12/07/2010 5:58 PMPosted by Ocultnix
Congratulations, you've created guild achievements, they're exactly the same as personal achievements that people already have, but now you want an entire guild to do them, again, for what? A sense of belonging to your guild? I have a sense of belonging to my guild because I help them with quests, dungeons, I talk to them on a daily basis. I don't need to run RFC to reaffirm my status in my own guild, and I get no sense of accomplishment just because I'm doing it with guildies.

I would, however, do it if it gave me even the tiniest boost of guild xp. Even at an extremely reduced level. Let people set themselves apart from other guilds by leveling via different achievements. Oh cool the best guild on the server did glory of the cataclysm raider, lets try to catch up to them by massacreing the poor critters across azeroth tonight guys! Break out the stormchops it's crittergeddon time!

This needs to be re-read again and again until it's ingrained in the minds of whoever thought of this horrific, unwanted change. Look how the poster was actually motivated to do something with the guild. I haven't been motivated in this game in months. The achievement system was going to change that...

I wouldn't leave my guild if I had fond memories of late nights trying to level my guild by smiting as many creatures as I could. I'd become too attached to the people I did it with.

I'm not going to say "please reconsider", because I think it was pretty terrible to make this kind of a change on launch day.

You need to reconsider this change for the health of the player base and guilds as a whole. This one change has completely negated the purpose of implementing guild leveling (to encourage guilds to be more cohesive and to be less likely to guild hop).

Persephone, I couldn't "Like" your comments more if I tried.

Completely agree with these sentiments, reposting because I feel it reflects the most coherent and concerning objections from the player base in reaction to the change.
Edited by Marolas on 12/7/2010 6:50 PM PST
85 Tauren Warrior
I still am the leader of Rejects. We just changed our name to The Remnant. Same people, same guild. Sorry for the side track, just wanted to respond.

Edited by Pattyfathead on 12/7/2010 6:47 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
12/07/2010 6:40 PMPosted by Pattyfathead

The blue post doesn't go over that process. It just states balance concerns, and their fix, was to create a greater imbalance, that doesn't make sense to me.

This.
76 Troll Shaman
12/07/2010 6:32 PMPosted by Elm
I wonder this myself. Honestly they should just remove the guild level 25 server first - there's no point to having it now.

No way, it has a point still, just as much point as Realm First Cooking does now. It'll go to the guild who plans ahead enough to have EVERYONE in the guild turning as many things in the second the daily cap resets on some day a few months from now.

It's still has similar value to many other Realm First Feats of Strength... it's just that the launched implementation was so much more than that.

They really took something that was a great improvement, that had people wanting to work together and just crushed the motivation level to the point that the majority of people who were looking forward to working together, as a team, now would rather just solo level. It baffles me that they would take a system that really took advantage of the MMO nature of the game and water it down to the point that the cap is easily reached by people just soloing.
90 Human Death Knight
just another carrot on a stick tactic being implemented.
94 Blood Elf Paladin
Wow, you guys are really whiners... What is done, is done... get over it and move on. It is just a game guys, that is all it is.
85 Orc Rogue
12/07/2010 6:51 PMPosted by Urakabermeil
Wow, you guys are really whiners... What is done, is done... get over it and move on. It is just a game guys, that is all it is.

In many cases, people who complain over a video game are passionate enough to not be thrown around like a ragdoll with every little thing they do. Even if they don't get what they want, their voice gets heard and that's important.

Also, it's a game, which is supposed to be fun, that lost some of it's fun.
86 Human Paladin
Allow people the play the game and achieve at different rates. This PC everyone has to achieve at the same rate crap is... well crap.
87 Human Warrior
I am honestly quite peeved about this. I am not in a huge guild, but we have over 100 characters. We had worked out a great system to work towards the crafting achievements, not for bragging rights of having any kind of "FIRST", but to help level the guild and unlock perks, as well as encourage members to gain experience and guild rep. To accomplish this, the idea was, simply, for members to work together. For gatherers to donate mats to the vault, and for crafters to take those mats and craft useful items, or at least items that the enchanters could break down and in turn level their profession.

We had no hope to do this in a day or even a couple of weeks, especially given the final numbers in contrast to what we had previously read (DE 100,000 items as opposed to 10,000?!). But it was team-building. There was a common goal, regardless of whether the member is most interested in PVP or raiding or social questing: to level the guild and unlock perks that will benefit everyone.

BUT, by taking away experience from earning guild achievements, you, Blizzard, have made these worse than the Insane in the Membrane achievement: with no purpose other than bragging rights, shared by a very small population (including those people that played 15 hours straight so they could be the first level 85 of their class on their server). You honestly might as well take the guild achievements out of the game, because there is no real, productive incentive for anyone to go for them. In fact, it would be better for us to not even try, because it would end up being a huge waste of money.

I feel for the guilds that invested a lot of gold and/or manpower getting mats ready ahead of time. I am also, understandably, feeling quite discouraged right now. I hope, Blizzard, that you will realize that your players LIKE getting achievements, and the idea of granting guild experience for guild achievements was in fact a stroke of genius, and that you will decide to put things back the way they were.
12/07/2010 6:56 PMPosted by Weldrock
Allow people the play the game and achieve at different rates. This PC everyone has to achieve at the same rate crap is... well crap.

My guild earned 339XP yesterday ;)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]