So I just healed Blackrock Caverns...

7 Gnome Priest
12/07/2010 10:33 PMPosted by Allenda
The best part of BRC is finding out what happens when you kill Runty before Beauty.

This... I told my guild group going in "for the love of god, don't kill runty!!"

Then killed him when Beauty was at about 5%.

Scared the healer half to death, but we all laughed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
No, I did fine.

I'm a bit sad that the burst damage is still as bad, if not worse now then in WotlK. There certainly hasn't been a reduction in how fast people drop, if anything its worse. I've seen tanks go from 100% to 20% instantly. It doesn't happen often though, and thats what Guardian Spirit is for but its still a bit jarring.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Only had one wipe in BRC last night. First time in there, didnt realise those fire elementals stacked damage and armor reduc!

Other then that, LOVE HEALING.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2010 6:07 AMPosted by Saykes
No, I did fine.

I'm a bit sad that the burst damage is still as bad, if not worse now then in WotlK. There certainly hasn't been a reduction in how fast people drop, if anything its worse. I've seen tanks go from 100% to 20% instantly. It doesn't happen often though, and thats what Guardian Spirit is for but its still a bit jarring.

I didn't expect burst damage to completely go away. In short fights, mana is only of use as a limiting resource if you're forced to use your expensive heals, too. It also on some level creates adrenaline rushes, which is probably intended design.

That said, what I haven't seen is persistent, heroic-Gormok-at-5-Rising-Anger or heroic-Festergut-at-3-inhales constant heavy damage (it may still hit us, of course), and that's a good change so far. I'm looking forward to what the next tier of instances brings, of course. Vortex Pinnacle, by all accounts, has some interesting pulls (in the Chinese curse meaning of "interesting"). Worst part so far was a tank who took every single Dark Fissure hit from Commander Ulthok to the face, but even that was hardly unhealable, even with his 50k buffed health.
Reply Quote
Healing is still generally easy at level 80 and 81. After that, scaling gets so low that your crit and haste might as well be non-existent, and mana costs and health pools skyrocket while healing strength pretty much stays the same.

Healing normals and heroics in Beta crushed my soul =(
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/08/2010 6:49 AMPosted by Flintte
Healing is still generally easy at level 80 and 81. After that, scaling gets so low that your crit and haste might as well be non-existent, and mana costs and health pools skyrocket while healing strength pretty much stays the same.

Healing normals and heroics in Beta crushed my soul =(

This has been my experience so far. Healing at 80 and 81 hasn't been much different than wrath and mana wasn't much of an issue. Once I hit 82 and ran a random I noticed a big change in output vs mana usage.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Thought it was so fun! We did get fooled by Beauty. We killed Runty and the tank looked like Leeroy Jenkins running in there and getting owned in one second by Beauty with Berserk's +500% damage buff. It was classic!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/07/2010 7:22 PMPosted by Outiluke
And... uhm... yikes.

Anyone else doubting their skillz?

I had no problems on a disc priest. It was really easy @ 80 and 81 (although it was depressing how much crit and haste I lost). I don't think I ran it once I hit 82, and that's when I started to feel the mana changes quite a bit.

I think the fire elementals were the hardest part, but the tank pulled the fire elementals + boss by mistake once, and we managed to kill them all (I was 81 at the time). That was really clutch though, and not recommended.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/08/2010 7:48 AMPosted by Katekip

Uh oh, for a minute there I thought I was actually getting good at healing.

Some of the difference might have been whether or not you read up on mechanics/watched videos based on beta before you first healed it. Being familiar with the mechanics is pretty significant in pretty much all of these dungeons.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
The changes to healing aren't that big a deal. It just feels like my mana regen was sufficiently gutted. Normals were easy with my guild. We famed BRC until 82, then hit up Stonecore until close to 83. Heroics are certainly a challenge. We cleared Heroic BRC right after I hit 85 last night and cleaned up some achievements; also wasn't that bad.
Edited by Barnaby on 12/8/2010 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Not me. Though i felt a bit annoyed when the entire group got chained together, and failed to DPS it down.

I mean really, if you play with enemy nameplates up LIKE YOU SHOULD BE, then it's almost impossible not to realize you have to break the chains. And they only have 30k HP. I mean, Christ some people are dense.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Kylxia on 12/13/2010 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Got to 81 yesterday, went to Throne of Tides since I was already there and did a random LFG for it.

I probably got lucky, everyone else was 81, pally tank at about 48k who knew what he was doing and dps was decent. There are some major surprize hits, but one thing I CANNOT get over is the terrible nerf to Nourish. That thing used to be my bread and butter for supporting people getting hit hard.

I've always been one to love MP5, never had a problem all the way through killing the LK. Now running through the ToT, there were times people came close to death and drinking after each boss or heavy groups is necessary. I can't complain that things cost mana now, but I'm going oom on a simple regular five man at 81 thanks to making Rej expensive as hell and slowing Nourish down to the point that it's as slow as Healing Touch. Healing meters-wise, heal numbers have definitely jumped, but alot of my mana is wasted just keeping people topped off.

Adding a problem to this is our new extremely simplified talent trees. To get one skill you have to waste points in another, it shouldn't be that way. Any other resto druid probably agrees that they're healing tree is practically full, skipping a waste or two, and they have what they want from the boomkin category & even the 2% healing boost to shape-shifting talent under Feral. I'm betting this will be getting revamped again. If they could differentiate PvP from PvE, things might be evened out.
Edited by Seldomane on 12/8/2010 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

Not in the slightest. Having something be actually challenging for once doesn't mean I doubt myself.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
And... uhm... yikes.

I healed it on my druid just fine... Blackrock Caverns and Throne of Tides weren't mana intensive. However, I just did Vortex Pinnacle on my druid and went oom about 5 times, and I probably went through a full stack of water. It hurts... big time.

I miss the way healing used to be :'( QQ
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I've only done the first 2 instances so far and I have to say they weren't too bad. The ones with guildmates went a lot smoother of course but for the most part not bad. Although I did have a somewhat undergeared tank stand in poison for the longest time on a double pull during a PUG....I wasn't able to keep him up so the dps just kited/tanked the remaining mobs until they died.

Haven't dipped below 75-80% mana so far for the exception of one boss where I think we were taking way more AoE damage than we were supposed to. I'm mostly in heal chakra, using heal and flash heal if someone is going down too quickly. Renew is up on the tank and/or party when expecting a lot of AoE dmg. I renew dps who aren't left at full by the end of the pull instead of direct heals.

Like others have said, you might be healing too much with flash heal or PoH. Or people are just taking a lot of uneeded damage.
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 1:46 AMPosted by Sherbear
Healing I haven't really had a problem with. Went through BRC no problem with guildies.

I did stupidly attempt a random and ended up in a group full of jerks. Not only did they not attempt to do the instance as a group (dps pulling and fighting their own mobs) but when I asked once to hold for mana, I was promptly kicked for it.

No more LFD for me unless it's guildies if that's the attitude within the expansion.

I have been doing LFD religiously from 13 to 67 and will probably keep doing it all the way to 85. (disclaimer: 80 is top heavy so maybe that's where all the jerks are.) I have hit a few bad apples, but really maybe only one bad PUG in every 15-20. Overall my LFD/PUG experiences have been great.

I do also realize that for a tank and healer an OK group to me might be hell on earth to you. All I need to do is grab aggro and heal myself. Where you need to keep healing that same DPS has he keeps pulling crap.

So maybe a Tank is better equipped to handle bad and ok groups since my main concern 80% aggro, 20% other stuff (watching dps and healers mana etc...)

I hope I don't sound like I am bragging or anything I just felt bad you have had bad LFD experiences. Cause I almost live and breath by the LFD tool. I hope it was just bad luck, but I also realize; what I might consider an OK group; might be impossible for you to handle given all the things you need to react to.
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Shaman
After healing Stonecore at 81 and having the tank accidentally pull two groups with a brusier each, I have to say it was challenging. Lost 1 melee dps and probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't have ToL on CD.

It probably is harder for Druids because of the fact that we have no spammable AoE heal and I had to Rejuv everyone, which was a mana drain. Priests have it easier because of PoH, not to say that isn't a mana drain itself.
Edited by Lavarinth on 12/8/2010 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2010 11:39 AMPosted by Lavarinth
Priests have it easier because of PoH, not to say that isn't a mana drain itself.

Prayer of Healing is actually extremely mana-efficient when the entire group is taking damage. That's not to say that you will be able to mindlessly spam it (you won't!), but if if hits for full effect, then its HPM is pretty spectactular.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]