Completely Lost Ret Pally

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So yea I stopped playing about a year and some months ago after I hit 80 and just came back because of that huge volcano thing that happened.

So I redid my talents, went ret and tried out the whole new mechanics thing and it seems like people kept passing me by saying "omg did he died" because I have no idea whats going on.

Anyway I'm looking for quick pointers as to where I am going wrong with my rotation:

I generally just do something like this:

Crusder strike (until 3 HP)
Divine Storm
TV whenever I have 3
Randomly cast Exorcism when its free and instant
Also throw in zealotry anytime I can
Hammer of Wrath when appropriate.

tldr; help me maximize my deepz so I can get to 85 and ditch this horrible abortion known as a ret and move to holy and prot
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'll just make it as simple as possible ;)

- Crusader Strike and Judge on CD while leveling to build HP and keep your mana high.

- Templars Verdict at ONLY 3 HP (it does less damage than CS at 2 HP)

- Holy Wrath when it's up to build HP

- When you get an exorcism proc only use it with 0, 1, or 2 HP. If you have 3 HP Templars Verdict than exorcism (don't waste the chance to get another HP).

- Mastery procs - Use Templars Verdict or WoG, whatever is needed at the time.

- Use holy light after a kill - 300% more healing done for 15 seconds with that ability after killing a target that yields EXP or honor.

- Divine storm is best used when there are more than 3 mobs attacking you, it doesn't require HP but it does share the CD with CS. It's not worth using on 3 mobs or less, you will be better off killing them 1 by 1 instead of using AOE to kill them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You sir just made my day. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good stuff, I have been playing since the changes. I approve this message. (not that it matters)
Edited by Gamathore on 12/8/2010 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Krunchi, I shudder to think of the problems you are having leveling in Cataclysm right now. You're at a disadvantage right from the start because you stopped playing after hitting level 80 in WotLK. You didn't get a chance to experience higher level questing areas, dungeouns/raids, and Argent Tournament activities which reward you with better gear.

It should get better for you once you start getting Cata quest rewards or maybe even buy some Cata greens from the AH if they're not too expensive.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems to be going pretty well for me now getting the hang of it. Which seal do you guys recommend to use the most leveling?

My gear doesn't seem to be causing me problems ATM but I have piled up enough gold to be able to raid the AH if need be once I get higher. Hopefully I can pick up some healing or tanking gear along the way and use my other spec to get into instances to get even better gear.

Oh how much fun that will be!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's cool that you're getting the hang of it. I'm not sure what seal to use while leveling since I don't have Cataclysm yet.

And yeah it should be real "fun" gearing up for all 3 specs! Good luck! :P
Reply Quote
7 Troll Shaman
Thanks Ghostchantxi !!!!!

I think I know enough now to get my Paladin alt to 85.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
No need to buy gear, you'll get all you need from the quests in Hyjal and Vashj'ir. For leveling I tend to use Seal of Righteousness unless it's an elite, SoR has always done more burst DPS for me and SoT can't really get going unless you're fighting something for a while.

Just a tip, If you're grouped with a warlock they have a new spell that basically works like Focus Magic, except it's focused on DoTs. If you're grouped with one put on your seal of truth so that the procs will benefit your demonic friend over there. (Please note that you will not take priority over another warlock, fire mage, feral druid, or anything along those lines, they simply have more Dots than our seal of truth and exorcism if glyphed)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
great post! I leveled as prot all the way through wotlk. Then raided as Holy. Now, I'm trying to level as ret and was so clueless until this post.

Now, I have a question.. Since I plan on raiding at 85 as Holy, should I not worry about Holy gear until I hit 85 and just farm instances/mats for gear? Or try to save up some 83 holy gear I get some vendors to use when I'm 85. My Holy gear at level 80 has 45k mana.. would that be enough mana for level 85 heroic dungeons before hitting up the raids?

thanks in advance for the advice guys!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Level as holy. I'm trying to gather some gear to make the switch. Sharded my ICC healing gear like an idiot.

Holy is more fun, faster leveling, and you can queue for dungeons more quickly without having to worry about your gear while you level.

Retribution doesn't suck per se... it's just a lot of waiting, usually. And then every now and then all your abilities will proc at once, that kind of things. Very RNG, very boring version of whack-a-mole. Go holy!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If I level as Holy, I am limited in attack abilities.. aren't I? I can only think of exo, HS, cons and judge as my attack abilities. and then hammer of wrath at 20%. are there more that I am missing? I haven't checked my spellbook in a while for attack abilities as holy. :p
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 1:36 PMPosted by Geoda
If I level as Holy, I am limited in attack abilities.. aren't I? I can only think of exo, HS, cons and judge as my attack abilities. and then hammer of wrath at 20%. are there more that I am missing? I haven't checked my spellbook in a while for attack abilities as holy. :p

Levelling holy you'll pretty much spam Exo.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 1:40 PMPosted by Babyfactory

Levelling holy you'll pretty much spam Exo.

Which is FUN!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/09/2010 1:25 PMPosted by Geoda
great post! I leveled as prot all the way through wotlk. Then raided as Holy. Now, I'm trying to level as ret and was so clueless until this post.

Now, I have a question.. Since I plan on raiding at 85 as Holy, should I not worry about Holy gear until I hit 85 and just farm instances/mats for gear? Or try to save up some 83 holy gear I get some vendors to use when I'm 85. My Holy gear at level 80 has 45k mana.. would that be enough mana for level 85 heroic dungeons before hitting up the raids?

thanks in advance for the advice guys!

Personally if I was planning on going holy at 85 i'd save my green plate with healing stats, probably in the bank or something, until that last ding. Probably not happening though, It seems i'm one of the very few paladins that likes the new Retribution structure. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Reply Quote
62 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 4:27 PMPosted by Krunchi
Seems to be going pretty well for me now getting the hang of it. Which seal do you guys recommend to use the most leveling?

I run with Seal Of Righteousness first then switch to Seal Of Insight if things take a bad turn.
BUT...I am afew lvls below you...lol so this may not be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 1:58 PMPosted by Xaro
[quote="14059952831"]
Personally if I was planning on going holy at 85 i'd save my green plate with healing stats, probably in the bank or something, until that last ding. Probably not happening though, It seems i'm one of the very few paladins that likes the new Retribution structure. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

After Ghostchantxi gave me pointers I am loving the new ret set up... I dont see whats so bad about it, I am having a ton more fun than leveling in WOTLK.

Ill prob be saving all my PROT and HOLY gear and flip a coin and choose which one for 85 heroics and what not.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm really struggling with ret, its soo rng. but here are some tips.

-Word of glory is your Friend.
I found that if i continued a normal burn rotation on a mob after i had agroed 2, or maybe even 3, i would die far too quickly. If you pop zelotry you can alternate crusaider strike and word of glory for ~ 5000k hps. it is a real life saver.

-Use your cooldown
your damage goes up massivly with cooldowns, use them, specailly on named quest mobs.

-Interrupt spells
Generaly, casted spells hurt.

-Also use your repentence and your hammer as much as u can in these situations.

Later, you might find that the single holy light wont fill ur bar. Pop a Divine light and that should do it.

Also
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks. This will help me level faster.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So, is it the general consensus that seal of righteousness should be used on trash and seal of truth is for bosses/tough enemies? This whole time i've just been using seal of truth for every situation =O .
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]