Define "Heal Fail"

I have a low level Druid and I've only healed in dungeons a few times. So far only 1 wipe in which I was accused of a heal fail.

I just wondered what everyone's opinion of what an actual heal fail is.

(As far as I am concerned, if the tank and I are the last two standing before the wipe in Stockade, it wasn't a heal fail, it was either a tank fail or a DPS over-aggro fail).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Fail healer is a healer who refuses to do their job. Ones who care more about DPSing than healing (not bashing any disc healers out there but get past 83 and you won't be spamming so much.)

A healer who is obviously busting their ass to keep a party alive - with 1 or 2 deaths - though it does suck, is not a fail unless they're spamming mana inefficient spells or don't know their class.

Everyone will have a different opinion. What you need to keep in the back of your mind (but never act upon) is that most people will not take responsibility for their own actions. It's better to blame the healer for a dead DPS because even though that DPS did pull aggro, it is the healers fault for not keeping that DPS up. Complete BS I know, but you'll have to get used to it. The only remedy is to join a good guild.

*edit: spelling
Edited by Epohlast on 12/8/2010 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It depends on the dungeon and the circumstances. In places where dps are going to take aoe damage no matter how careful they are, you are expected to (and should) keep them alive.

If they pull before the tank and take too much damage too quickly for you to heal them through it, then it's their fault for dying.

If they are just doing their normal rotation and the tank isn't holding aggro and they die as a result, it's probably a tank problem. But it might just be that dps needs to hold off a bit before they open up. This will be the case when dps outgears the tank by a fair bit. If you see that a dps player is in better gear than the tank, you should expect some of this and be prepared for it. It doesn't mean it's your fault if they die, it's just that being a good healer means adapting on the fly.

If you get tunnel vision on the tank and let one or more dps die accidentally, it's your fault. Likewise, if you choose the wrong spell at the wrong time and someone goes down, it's your fault too.

Running Stockade, if the dps'ers are doing their job and the tank is doing his/hers, then you should only have to heal the tank. So I'd agree with you on your last point that it was probably not your fault.

For me, I tend to take it personally anytime someone dies, unless it was because of a huge screwup on someone else's part (like an idiot who keeps dpsing when the Devourer of Souls has Mirrored Soul on someone in FoS). I've never been openly accused of a "healer fail" (although people may have thought it to themselves, IDK), but I always try to analyze what went wrong and what I could have done to prevent it.

Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Fail healer stands in fire.
Fail healer /spits on your corpse when they didn't heal you
Fail healer was talking during boss and so their last line of chat, just before you died, said: "2222222233132222222222".

Fail healers usually fail because they just don't heal right, wear supporting gear or even try to have a clue to know what they are doing. I haven't seen too many to be honest. Most wipes I have ever seen usually result from other people doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 12:34 PMPosted by Nachtelf
Fail healer was talking during boss and so their last line of chat, just before you died, said: "2222222233132222222222".

I'm going to intentionally put that in my chat next time someone yells about dying!
:P
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2010 12:39 PMPosted by Azaghal
12/08/2010 12:34 PMPosted by Nachtelf

I'm going to intentionally put that in my chat next time someone yells about dying!
:P

It is good for a giggle or 3. This is especially true when you have forged the typical, yet amazing pink relationship with your tank. Poor DPS miss out on so much. Usually when people die, it is because the tank and I are chatting it up lol.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If the Tank dies its the Healers fault.
If the Healer dies its the Tanks fault.
If a DPS dies its the DPS's fault.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/08/2010 1:03 PMPosted by Gnouge
If the Tank dies its the Healers fault.
If the Healer dies its the Tanks fault.
If a DPS dies its the DPS's fault.

Not attempting to help that DPS out with a renew or some sort of HoT is fail in my book. No one's saying you have to go out of your way to heal them but watching them die and you not doing anything is retarded. Unless the tank is taking massive damage and you have to concentrate on them.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
His point is that if a DPS is taking so much damage that they die then they are doing something wrong, unless there's some kind of unavoidable damage.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Heal fail: if anyone dies to healable unavoidable damage.
Reply Quote
"heal fail" - I failed at staying out of fire or some other avoidable damage, and died but I don't want to admit it so I will blame the healer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]