Chain heal rage

85 Dwarf Shaman
So, i've been chaining the first 3 5-mans in order to re-gain the skill of healing. while trying out new spells and what not, i've come to find that chain heal is not doing as good as it used to. even on crits its leaving me frantically spamming my 'short order' heals to catch up and thus depleting my mana with in a min of battles. I am just curious if anyone else is finding this true? or if im jacked up some how. and yes, i now how riptide works and what not.
Reply Quote
This may not be very helpful seeing as I am a tank and partially have no idea what you just said, since I am still not fluent in WoW/Healer speak.

I read many, many blue posts a few weeks/months ago. They were saying they made healers so they will run out of mana faster unless they healed just right. Basically the new tactic might be to keep everyone at 70-80% health and not 100% health, this way you can be sure you don't waste heals, healing people past 100% health.

I used to heal in EQ, where we would not pop a heal until people were at 20%-10% health. We only healed to full if we knew a big hit was coming. You see we had these BIG heals that could heal most people for 70% of their health and it used very little mana, but it took 8 seconds or more to cast. so everyones health was always springing around and you rotated to each person. Wait till their health got near 30-40%, begin casting and hope it pops after 30%, but before 0% (LOL) then you pop a quick HOT on them and move to the next person.

Sorry if you already do these things I don't mean to step on your toes. Just wanted to give my 2 cents
Edited by Orig on 12/8/2010 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Perhaps they expect you to use it in conjunction with Healing Rain at 85. But yes, I've noticed this since I started playing again about a week ago. Quite depressing.

Chain heal was always my go-to spell, 'F' key and right-click in Vuhdo. Ah well.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
yea, same here. @Orig interesting concept. i always get nervous in these early under geard runs for a Crit to kill someone. but ill try that out. whats the worst that can happen. progression? bring it...
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 12:06 PMPosted by Leproon
yea, same here. @Orig interesting concept. i always get nervous in these early under geard runs for a Crit to kill someone. but ill try that out. whats the worst that can happen. progression? bring it...

Cool! And if there are any wipes just tell them Orig gave you the 'stupid' Idea LOL. I hope the tactic works for you. As soon as I heard about the new system it instantly made me think of EQ. I plan on making a worgen Druid so i am going to see how this tactic works myself.

Good Luck man!
Reply Quote
12/08/2010 11:52 AMPosted by Kahji
Perhaps they expect you to use it in conjunction with Healing Rain at 85. But yes, I've noticed this since I started playing again about a week ago. Quite depressing.

Chain heal was always my go-to spell, 'F' key and right-click in Vuhdo. Ah well.

Yeah I heard mention that everything is meant to work just right at 85, from 1-84 things might be dicey. Some people might be overpowered and some might be underpowered cause they don't want to focus too much time into balancing 1-84 when once once you reach 85, none of that matters.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I haven't had any problem yet. I always end the fights at 90%+ mana. I've only done the first 2 dungeons so far and I know things will get harder and more mana intensive as things progress.

My chain heal is working just fine. Yes people are taking more aoe damage so chain heal doesn't instantly pop them to full may take 1 or 2 to do that and I have noticed that I may need to use a single target heal on 1 or 2 people after a chain heal, but I don't feel like it is hitting for an extremely low amount or anything like that.

The problem as I see it so far is that people need to be more raid aware. There are a lot more high damage spells being cast by mobs and bosses (that people could avoided).

90% of the time if it wasn't for me wind shocking the bosses, i'm sure the hard hitting spells that they cast that make your dbm go off would 1 shot someone or a group of people.

Healing intensity has gone up a good bit, i've noticed that almost immediately, but you also have to factor in that people are use to being able to just stand there and dps and not having to move or interrupt or cc things as much and that should get better as we progress through cata.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Chain Heal was the shaman's only spell needed for WotlK. I could fall asleep on my keyboard, healing icc25, and just spam chain heal alternating between a tank and a ranged. Oh, maybe throw up Earth Shield, but there was probably other shamans in the group chain healing with me, they'll get ES.

Chain Heal was nerfed into the ground and I love it. I went from an initial 24k crit to umm ... i think it's down to 14k crits, something like that, it's been a while since I stared at my green numbers.

Gylph of Chain Heal is also changed - if you're using it, it no longer extends CH to one more person - four people is now automatic and instead it reduces the initial hit by 15% and then increases the healing gained by the next three targets by 10%.

As shamans, we're now forced to use all of our healing spells - and this is why I love it.
We can't use Chain Heal and expect it to tank heal AND heal all the melee dps, then throw it on two groups of ranged and have healed 15 people (counting in Ancestral Awakening) in 6 seconds and only used a bit of mana.

Now, we need to use Healing Surge, Healing Way, Greater Heal Wave, and Riptide

With spells taking up more mana and less spirit, we're going to have to choose which spell to use to balance mana used and healing done.

I always played my shaman with a huge emphasis on Riptide and would use the Synergy afforded by Tidal Waves to make Greater Heal Wave my go-to spell.
In Cata, with mana being the priority, I'll probably be forced to use Healing Wave instead - which heals for about 1/3 of GHW for 1/3 the mana.

Shamans are an interesting class with massive mana use, super long cast times, and one "oh sh-" spell (Nature's Swiftness) with a 2 minute cooldown.

We have to learn to stop spamming Chain Heal and learn how to use all of our spells.

And I couldn't be more excited.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
12/08/2010 12:25 PMPosted by Varohtep
but you also have to factor in that people are use to being able to just stand there and dps and not having to move or interrupt or cc things as much and that should get better as we progress through cata.

sure hope so. tired of healing my butt of while the mage sits in the fire. YOU KNOW WHO U ARE... -.-
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
12/08/2010 12:34 PMPosted by Epidra
We have to learn to stop spamming Chain Heal and learn how to use all of our spells.

yes. amen.

i moved it to slot 9.
Edited by Leproon on 12/8/2010 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I've been enjoying it so far, so boring not doing anything in instances in wotlk. I'm having a blast so far have to work harder and pay more attention.
Reply Quote
As shamans, we're now forced to use all of our healing spells - and this is why I love it.
We can't use Chain Heal and expect it to tank heal AND heal all the melee dps, then throw it on two groups of ranged and have healed 15 people (counting in Ancestral Awakening) in 6 seconds and only used a bit of mana.

I don't really use all my spells. I feel like in the new dungeons I just use Greater Healing Wave and thats about it. Chain Heal and Healing Wave are used rarely based on the situation.

Reply Quote
12/08/2010 12:36 PMPosted by Leproon

yes. amen.

i moved it to slot 9.

exactly the point of the change.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Dont forget, too, that at level 81 you get Unleash Weapon, which, with the weapon enchant, gives an instant heal plus a 30% (according to tooltip) boost to the next direct heal.
On WoWhead there is some contension as to whether Chain heal counts as a direct heal or not, but the boost is not to be sneezed at.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
-Use Healing Wave as much as you can get away with

-Use Riptide one someone when they will be taking damage consistently for a while or if you need to heal while moving

-Use Chain Heal when your it will heal 3-4 people guaranteed and it's an isolated aoe attack

-Use Healing Rain when it will heal the entire party and the aoe damage is constant and reoccurring

-Use Healing Surge if you need an emergency big fat heal really really fast, but your mana won't last long

- Use Greater Healing Wave with Unleashed Elements for a big fat heal on the tank if he's getting low and Healing Wave isn't keeping up

- Use Unleashed Elements to boost Greater Healing Wave or when you need another heal while moving after using Riptide
Edited by Primacy on 12/8/2010 7:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
thank you Primacy for your post. I was leveling the whole time as elemental(without a problem) when a few guildies ask if i could heal Black-rock Caverns. Without a doubt i healed it but i was a major newb in every sense. I was lacking coordination and hell, i didn't even have Greater Healing Wave on my bar. So i just took some time to re-evaluate how i healed and now things are looking better. Your post is very informative, and hopefully other shammys can learn a thing or two.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
What Primacy said.

Healing Wave should be your most casted heal, but a very large margin.

I can count the number of times i've used Healing Surge in a heroic on both hands and still have fingers leftover.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I've found healing rain to be far superior to chain heal in most situations. If people are repositioning themselves or something like that, chain heal may be worth casting though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]