wait a minute: Why not Prot 2-h?

85 Tauren Paladin
I was just reading a detailed pallytank guide and i noticed that the rotation really didn't use avenger's shield much at all, basically just for pulling.

I just looted a nice 2-h with 30 stamina on it and great DPS: What (besides block chance and AS) do I lose if i switch to 2-h?

Is the block chance reduction difference big enough to seriously impair my survivability?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Shield of the Righteous........
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
bah with the overheal talent spec'd spamming WoG is better for mass pulls anyways.

Maybe I should set up an equipment change macro so i've got 2-h for mass pulls and sword+board for bosses?

would that work at endgame or would mass pulls without a shield just get me keeled?

Edit: totally spaced mastery. Yeah, once I have mastery gear, it would be dumb to not use a shield.
Edited by Raygecow on 12/8/2010 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/08/2010 3:51 PMPosted by Farranor
12/08/2010 3:50 PMPosted by Raygecow
bah with the overheal talent spec'd spamming WoG is better for mass pulls anyways.

Maybe I should set up an equipment change macro so i've got 2-h for mass pulls and sword+board for bosses?

would that work at endgame or would mass pulls without a shield just get me keeled?

Again: AS is big threat. It's key for AoE pulls.

What you are proposing (insisting on, it seems like) is a very poor idea, especially as you get to higher levels.

I would trust Farranor with my firstborn.

Seriously though, you lose most of prot's functionality and playstyle switching to a 2hander.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Ok, thought I would mention it at least. Maybe the guide I read was outdated. It said grand crusader was meh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
because prot hits people with their shield and 1h weapon for large chunks of holy damage, perhaps?
Reply Quote
If they ever made a viable 2 handed tanking spec for paladins I would never play another class or role again.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 6:27 PMPosted by Muraden
If they ever made a viable 2 handed tanking spec for paladins I would never play another class or role again.

Hmm tanking w/a 2h weapon,that sounds familiar.......ever hear of a dk?

As for the OP,why would you not use a shield? Thats just stupid,especially when you go to spec and there is a picture of a shield and about 1/2 of the abilities use shields.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
2H Wep, aint so good for tanking..
You lose your abilities, that require you to have a shield equipped..

You could wear DPS gear and go ret tanking, But still need to use shield and a 1H wep..
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You do more damage, have more threat, and take less damage with a shield.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Don't forget that shields offer more armor than any other equivalent gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 4:16 PMPosted by Raygecow
Ok, thought I would mention it at least. Maybe the guide I read was outdated. It said grand crusader was meh.

Grand Crusader is kind of meh. This doesn't mean we don't use AS.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Yeah, I have to admit GC (Grand Crusader) is meh, but it is nice for added burst or whatever. Biggest deal with it though is, it only resets the CD on it, so if you don't blow AS every CD, the procs don't matter.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
raygecow, Prot is set up for a 1H and Shield. As others have said the abilities are set up to use those.

I just got my prot pally to 80 right before Cata and I can tell you it is the most fun / easiest time I ever had leveling. You level so fast because you can run around and grab up to 8 things you want to kill then set there and burn them down so you get XP faster. The only time I died was when I did something stupid like grab 6 things 5 levels higher than me and backed into a boss as well :-)

Sure you lose some dps, but your surviveablility is off the charts. Get you a sword and board and go round up some baddies and have fun!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I still put points in GC I like the cooldown and getting to use shield more often.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Back when reckoning was first unleashed upon Azeroth, paladins were trying to steal the unforgiving knowledge of the new pvp gods.

'Watch out rogue, don't touch that pink dress wearing pally... he has a 2 hander, it might be a reckoning bomb.'

These days however, 2h prot only a good idea if you want to lol at the very unstable reckoning procs... and even then you'd just be better going ret.

p.s. yes I played a while as a reckoning bomb, and yes the first well noted reckoning bomb DID solo Kazzak. I have a clear vid (druid onlooker pov) of the pally that did it. Reckoning was hotfixed asap to stop the procs building 'too high'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]