A Healer and his mana

90 Goblin Rogue
So, I did a dungeon today, specifically The Slave Pens.

So we come across the first boss, the guy who patrols up and down the ramp.

Our Mage, being gnome and awesome decides to pull the adds at the bottom of the ramp while the boss is walking down the ramp.

Needless to say, we didn't kill all the adds by the time the boss engaged us, but that is ok because we killed the boss and all the adds with ZERO deaths.

The fight is over, but suddenly our healer says "oom" I believe back in the early days of cavemen and WoW this was referred to as Out of Mana.

So we wait for a little bit while he regains his mana, suddenly out of nowhere the healer BURSTS into rage saying..

"Maybe you shouldn't pull anymore!"

He was very upset that the Mage pulled instead of the tank but that is ok I understand that part but then I figured he was getting a little bit out of control with his anger so I had to step in.

Me: "Everyone is alive, what is the problem?"
Healer: "The problem is I just spent 4k+ mana on ONE PULL.."
Me: "Which also happened to include a boss plus a lot of adds"
Me: "So grats you did your job, I don't see the problem"
Mage: "Sorry if you can't handle it"
Tank: "Yup and healz has to bounce around and keep healin for no reason"

This is when it starts to get fun...

Me: "Oh noes, healers having to heal?!"
Healer: "F*** u gaiz"
Me: "Not in my expansion!"

Healer then proceeds to rage quit.

Now I fully respect healers and the job they do especially when they do it well, I even show the appreciation by generally saying "Good job" or something similar.

But this healer thought using mana and going OOM after a long fight was a bad thing.

Now I'm no expert on this topic but I believe their are vendors in Azeroth and across the world that sell drinks SPECIFICALLY for this reason, to replenish your mana in times of it becoming low.

Now I understand that our speed run of The Slave Pens was hindered by 30 seconds due to the healer having to drink for a little bit but I found this to be acceptable due to the circumstances of the fight, but in the end he did his job well and everyone survived.

I just felt that I should share this story with the healer community.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Must have been a druid, they are very touchy these days :p
Edited by Hoofnpuff on 12/6/2010 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Mage
So someone got mad at a dps who put the group in danger by pulling, instead of letting the tank pull.

He was also mad that he had his time wasted because he now had to sit and drink, when it would have taken less time to pull the pack of mobs, kill them, then pull the boss and kill it.

Now I for one wouldn't have @%%*%ed anyone out about it. But it seems to me the (*MAGE*) should not be pulling, since this is not Mimmiron phase 3 and theres no need for a caster to be tanking anything.

TL/DR

Healer gets mad at retarded dps, but goes on a rage fest and wastes more time. Moral of the story, dps shouldn't pull, healer shouldn't @%%*% so much.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
I'm sure as a dps that pull* was fun. Lots of adds! AoE! Pew pew! Big numbers! But the tank and the healer had to work very hard to keep that dumbass mage alive. It wasn't much fun for them I bet. It was probably very stressful.

* there really must be another term for this which isn't a double entrende, but I can't think of one right now.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
How is a challenging situation during a snorefest run actually stressful?
Sure, if the tank is keeping a decent pace, let him pull and don't do anything stupid, but if everybody lives and the situation prevents me from passing out at the keyboard, I can't see a problem with it, other than the mage maybe being a bit spunky.

It's not like somebody did something stupid with LK at 11%, or didn't know an instance and insisted on pulling the wrong groups or broke cc, it's just slave pens. Losen up people.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
None of the BC dungeons are really snorefests, even on normal and even after dungeon nerfing/character buffing. This is especially true if you are not 100% familar with them and you're in a LFD pug. If you pull more than one pack at a time, theres a good chance you will wipe. When I was levelling my DK tank through them I couldn't just switch off and run through chain pulling like I can in Wrath dungeons, I really had to concentrate.
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Mage
12/06/2010 6:54 PMPosted by Hoofnpuff
How is a challenging situation during a snorefest run actually stressful?
Sure, if the tank is keeping a decent pace, let him pull and don't do anything stupid, but if everybody lives and the situation prevents me from passing out at the keyboard, I can't see a problem with it, other than the mage maybe being a bit spunky.

It's not like somebody did something stupid with LK at 11%, or didn't know an instance and insisted on pulling the wrong groups or broke cc, it's just slave pens. Losen up people.

How did you think healers would reply to a story about a healer being pissed at a mage with ADD?

No really, because I'd like to know exactly what you thought we'd say.
Reply Quote
It's always annoying when a dps pulls an extra group while the healer and tank have to pick up the pieces. When that happens and the healer manages to save everyone, it sends the message "Hey, do whatever you want, be as terrible as you want, the healer's got you covered". And so this makes the healer angry, because by allowing the dps to get away with acting like morons, the healer's just put the entire burden of the party onto his shoulders. Now he feels like he's responsible not only for his own mistakes, but for the inadequacies of the whole party. And that's a lot of pressure for a quick 5 man dungeon. Furthermore, the fact that everyone lived means that as the healer gets annoyed, the dps goes "Hey man, chill, everyone lived, no harm done", and now the healer feels like his achievement is devalued while still having this pressure of supporting the party through their idiocy. Now he doesn't even get the recognition he feels he deserves because the moronic dps who pulled is now acting as if it was a good idea to pull an extra group, and to top it off, that dps is being condescending. All of this builds up until the healer rage quits, and while it seems like to nothing to you, it's a whole instance's worth of aggression being pent up and released.

So yeah, it may seem like he's overreacting, but there you go. It's not that he was angry for being low on mana, or even for the pull. He was probably angry by the way that the dps acted as if HE (the healer) was the one being wrong for saving the party and justifying the mage's actions.
Edited by Flintte on 12/6/2010 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/06/2010 7:01 PMPosted by Sorciere
How did you think healers would reply to a story about a healer being pissed at a mage with ADD?

No really, because I'd like to know exactly what you thought we'd say.

All I'm saying is that "stressful" is either a tad excessive, or means you take alt runs (and probably the game in general) entirely too seriously.

You're healing a PUG with an alt that probably costs 2g per wipe to repair or less. If you ragequit a group that has otherwise been doing well for what the OP is saying, as much as the mage might have been wrong in first place (and I agree he was), you have some issues IMO.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
12/06/2010 6:24 PMPosted by Hoofnpuff
Hoofnpuff
80 Draenei Shaman
The War Machine
Edited by Hoofnpuff on 12/7/10 2:24 AM
Must have been a druid, they are very touchy these days :p

I would be too if i lost permanent tree form lol
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Sometimes a person is in a bad mood from work sucking and just wants to sit back relax and play a little warcraft to unwind, and then someone makes the game stressful for him and he blows a cork over something that 99.99% of the time he wouldn't care about or might actually find fun.

*shrug*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This has probably already been said but...

Idiot DPS does something stupid.
Healer covers for the mistake.
Healer rages a bit because he had to cover for the mistake.
Other party members verbally abuse their healer.
Healer leaves group.

*Thinks for a moment* Minus the rage, the healer did the right thing.

If anyone abuses me, I have no inclination to stick around either.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest

This was a jerkish thing to say.

The healer shouldn't have had to defend his reasoning for not wanting the mage to pull.

This is why:
It's always annoying when a dps pulls an extra group while the healer and tank have to pick up the pieces. When that happens and the healer manages to save everyone, it sends the message "Hey, do whatever you want, be as terrible as you want, the healer's got you covered". And so this makes the healer angry, because by allowing the dps to get away with acting like morons, the healer's just put the entire burden of the party onto his shoulders. Now he feels like he's responsible not only for his own mistakes, but for the inadequacies of the whole party. And that's a lot of pressure for a quick 5 man dungeon. Furthermore, the fact that everyone lived means that as the healer gets annoyed, the dps goes "Hey man, chill, everyone lived, no harm done", and now the healer feels like his achievement is devalued while still having this pressure of supporting the party through their idiocy. Now he doesn't even get the recognition he feels he deserves because the moronic dps who pulled is now acting as if it was a good idea to pull an extra group, and to top it off, that dps is being condescending. All of this builds up until the healer rage quits, and while it seems like to nothing to you, it's a whole instance's worth of aggression being pent up and released.

So yeah, it may seem like he's overreacting, but there you go. It's not that he was angry for being low on mana, or even for the pull. He was probably angry by the way that the dps acted as if HE (the healer) was the one being wrong for saving the party and justifying the mage's actions.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
DPS are VERY annoying when they pull before the tank, now healers are all freaking out right now because this is totally not going to be heal throughable in a few hours in the new cata instances. So why not teach players early to

Not pull before tanks
Give tanks 5 sec rule
Kill caster/worse mob first usually Skull > x > square and so on
CC mobs
Move out of fires/blizzards/void zones/crashes etc
Self heal
Carry food and water
Use cooldowns

If you cant do the above you wont be able to do the new instances and healers dont want the blame for your stupidity
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Also for DPS it might be a 'snore fest' but not always for healers and tanks. If your going to behave like a 2 year old who isn't getting their fav candy then your replaceable in most peoples eyes.

VOTE KICK the moron - dont blame the healer
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The job is to heal the tank and occasionally the rest of the party, not everyone all the time. If it were to heal everyone all the time than there woulndt be a need for a tank role.

If dps want to pull things they can, but if they do, they are expected to handle the mobs they pulled on their own.

Rules of pug healing:
Dps get aggro, let them die.
Dps stand in the fire, let them die.

Mana is now scarce specialy at low levels, don't think healers will pick up the slack when you are doing things that you are not supposed to.
Reply Quote
12/06/2010 5:57 PMPosted by Meimnot
Our Mage, being gnome and awesome

Ignoring that these two things cannot be combined, nothing about this story is awesome.

DPS should not pull, excepting CC pulls, as you might recall were extremely common in Magister's Terrace. When they do, they have done wrong.

I would have skipped the cursing and the name-calling, but I would have quit as either the tank or healer if the group gave any indication they thought this was OK. I like smooth runs too much to suffer through having to pull off a DPS who's trying to do my job, poorly, and have little patience for healing non-tanks who have been taken by a desire to tank on their cloth-wearer.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Priest
12/06/2010 5:57 PMPosted by Meimnot
So we wait for a little bit while he regains his mana, suddenly out of nowhere the healer BURSTS into rage saying..
"Maybe you shouldn't pull anymore!"

No, I don't think he burst into rage until after you came back with:

See, it's likely the healer was trying to prevent more stupid pulling by the mage or whoever that could easily wipe the party later. I know if I was the healer, I would do the same, though I would try to phrase it in a way that came off as calm and just wanting to help the party by preventing future wipes. I'd probably say "Well, that was exciting, but we might want to let the tank pull in the future as that could have easily been a wipe." Not to mention as others said it is more efficient to do pulls like that separately since likely wouldn't have to wait for the healer to drink that way.

Finally, for many healers (and tanks) it is stressful when stuff like that happens because they know that if a wipe does happen, they are likely to be blamed and berated. Most of us heal because we like to do so and for us someone dieing when we could/should have saved them hurts us like it would hurt a DPS person to be last on the meters. Add to that that someone dieing often makes them pissed off at the healer (or tank) and maybe you can see why that might be stressful.

So yeah, the healer did his job, kept the group alive, but that job was made much more difficult and stressful by the actions of the mage. The mage was rude to the healer and the group to pull like that, but instead of the mage being asked to stop, your group berated the healer for it? Ick!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]