The new Ret. play style is a mess.

95 Blood Elf Paladin
It feels fine while face rolling through quest mobs or whatever. Go into an instance and it all turns to crap for me.

It doesn't even matter how much DPS I'm doing. (I've been top every dungeon I've been in except one.) This simply isn't fun.

Keeping Inquisition up when it lasts for 30 seconds isn't fun. This is like having to reseal with super added extra annoyance. I despise this most of all.

For being a supposed 40% chance nothing hardly ever procs a charge of HP.

Waiting 4 seconds while doing white swings because everything is on CD is fun? I liked always having something to press, why take this away from me? It fit my play style and it kept me focused. Blizzard has said "If you can't stand waiting a few seconds between button presses the game has problems". This was a play style we had, this is why I played the spec. You can't expect people to play a class that ALWAYS has them pressing things to sitting there waiting and not be bothered by it.

Why are we back to relying ridiculously heavy on RNG mechanics? It was a bad formula the first time around.

Why are we the only mana user with two resources to restrict us?

Why did anyone think it'd be fun to play a game of "watch the proc/timers"? Have to watch for Exorcism procs, have to watch for when you have three HP, have to watch for oddly timed CD's with no rhythem to them what-so-ever, have to watch for when you can use HOW, have to watch for when inquisition is going to wear off. It's extremely boring, I don't want to do nothing but watch for procs and count down seconds on a timer. The RNG factor just adds to the mess, you'll be sitting there having nothing to press when all of a sudden every fricking stupid thing you have will proc. It's clunky, it's no fun, it's just horrible.

There's nothing here that even remotely resembles a rotation anymore. It's just complete and total chaos. I downloaded an add that basically tells you what to press next. This just pissed me off more, I shouldn't require something so stupid. It's like playing whack-a-mole with what's off CD based on your FCFS rotation, it's constantly changing. *press judg..owait...exo..owait..HOWait. *Press judgment...crusade..owait..templar...owait..exorcism!!* Even with the add on I'm constantly watching it because what I should be pressing next is CONSTANTLY changing. It's like a great big joke. If wanted to do absolutely nothing but stare at bars and meters I'd roll a healer.

Our AOE DPS is just bad. It's not even worth it until there's 5+ mobs and even then it's not that good. We used to specialize in being able to AOE while single targeting. Us having a niche was a problem... why?

I've sat through a lot of changes, a lot of nerfs, some buffs, the complete restructuring of the spec more times then I care to remember. This has just gone too far though, I've never had such little fun playing a class/spec before.

P.S. Thanks for getting rid of Armor Pen because it was too much of a god stat for some and bad for others, then going ahead and adding Mastery. Lowest priority stat for us and warrior yet you put it on all the plate gear. Awesome.

I'd rather go back to lolret and enjoy playing my class while not doing heroics and not raiding then be having a miserable time. Some of the things I mentioned wouldn't even be that big of a deal, when you add it all together though it just sucks.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
TBD
12/08/2010 2:35 PMPosted by Sedx
Why did anyone think it'd be fun to play a game of "watch the proc/timers"? Have to watch for Exorcism procs, have to watch for when you have three HP, have to watch for oddly timed CD's with no rhythem to them what-so-ever, have to watch for when you can use HOW, have to watch for when inquisition is going to wear off. It's extremely boring, I don't want to do nothing but watch for procs and count down seconds on a timer. The RNG factor just adds to the mess, you'll be sitting there having nothing to press when all of a sudden every fricking stupid thing you have will proc. It's clunky, it's no fun, it's just horrible.

I'm on board with you. One of the big issues I have with it is they've made a mockery of the interface. Unless you go through extraordinary measures to rework your UI, the crap on the screen makes it painful to play. Using a vanilla setup:

1) Upper left to watch your Holy Power
2) Upper right to watch your Inquisition timer
3) Middle of the screen to watch your random procs
4) Bottom (right for me) to watch your cooldowns because my cooldowns are affected by stats
5) Back to the middle of the screen to watch the actual FIGHT

It's a travesty of software design (coming from someone that codes front end designs, and those designs are given to me by people who design intuitive interfaces for a living...). I personally get annoyed that I have to go download extra crap just to make the UI usable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 2:43 PMPosted by Fúry
If you top the meter everytime what are you complaining about? I'm so sorry you have a rotation

I think the OP is trying to say that the "rotation" is too spastic and random, which makes it not fun for him/her. I agree that Ret should rely less on RNG. Maybe at least make judgements give a 100% chance of holy power.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
If you top the meter everytime what are you complaining about? I'm so sorry you have a rotation

this should read "If you were top of the meter everytime everyone else was doing it wrong"

Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2010 3:09 PMPosted by Calsun

this should read "If you were top of the meter everytime everyone else was doing it wrong"

This shouldn't read anything because it never should have been bothered being posted in the first place.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
There's nothing here that even remotely resembles a rotation anymore. It's just complete and total chaos. I downloaded an add that basically tells you what to press next. This just pissed me off more, I shouldn't require something so stupid. It's like playing whack-a-mole with what's off CD based on your FCFS rotation, it's constantly changing. *press judg..owait...exo..owait..HOWait. *Press judgment...crusade..owait..templar...owait..exorcism!!* Even with the add on I'm constantly watching it because what I should be pressing next is CONSTANTLY changing. It's like a great big joke. If wanted to do absolutely nothing but stare at bars and meters I'd roll a healer.

Wow, this sounds kind of familiar.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100112175433/wowwiki/images/7/71/Catdps.jpg
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret has been incredibly frustrating for me since... yesterday. I wasn't amazingly happy with a secondary resource being introduced, but I got used to it quick. But this Cataclysm? This is a joke, I really hope. I picked ret up way back when because I -always- had SOMETHING to do. Always. Now, I'm relying on really slow white swings (thanks for all of the useless mastery guys, really) to fill in 4-5 gaps while I sit there and wait for something to happen.

Oh, and leveling sucked. I enjoyed the edge-of-your-seat action in heroic raids, but I am not fond of the idea that two mobs can kill me WHILE LEVELING. Self-healing is a joke, either I'm in a situation where I need a heal quick and don't have one (why am I using Lay on Hands while leveling anyway? I can't cast a heal while I'm taking more damage in 2.5 seconds it takes to cast than the heal is actually worth), or I have a quick heal but it heals me for 10k while I have a 100k health pool. This is poor design and it goes back to poor beta testing (LOOK GUYS, I'M "TESTING" CATACLYSM!).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What they really need to do for Inquisition is just add something that refreshes the duration of it. It be one step that would help smooth out the playing a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haha, that flow chart is epic.

And yes, Retribution is a sloppy spec at the moment from which I yield no joy. I get a headache just darting my eyes around the screen monitoring all the random crap my DPS depends on. /shockadin.
Edited by Deluz on 12/8/2010 4:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree. Ret right now is just all over the place, not very fun to play at all anymore. We're one of those classes that look good on paper but its all just one big mess in the field. I'm still trying to figure out why our mastery is so obviously different from other dps specs, why we went back to having so much RNG, why we have 2 resources that don't last very long, why exorcism hits harder then TV, why does CS and DS share CD, why does our AoE suck now, why did our single target dps drop substantially, why am I relying on stacking haste to streamline my rotation (CS 3sec), why is that so many things clash i.e. I'll be waiting to hit something and then BAM HoL PROCS OMG USE THIS,THIS,THIS OR THIS OMG AoW PROC USE IT QUICK, POP WINGS OMG HoW GOGO, ZEALOTRY NOW PEWPEW....and then after the smoke clears my mob still isn't dead because they nerfed the dmg on us. oh and yes our heals are kinda LOL worthy considering they heal for 10-20k and my hp pool is 100k. No wonder they lowered the CD on LoH
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I love how once again Blizzard gives us nothing but stony silence. This whole ret business is a mess and caused me to focus on leveling alts rather than enjoy cataclysm with my level 85 brethren. Clearly something needs to be done when 90% of the paladin forums are about how awful ret is. Each of us put a lot of time and effort into gearing and leveling our characters and none of us want to see them become what we fear most, not fun anymore! Because isn't having fun more important than topping the damage charts while we play whack-a-mole with CLC ret and other mods which tell us which buttons to mash? I don't know who decided that waiting for procs is a fun way to play, but it's not. Please change our rotation blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have yet to upgrade to Cata strictly because of the way the forums has portrayed the class, Ret in particular. No point in spending $40 now and not enjoying my class for awhile.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/08/2010 2:50 PMPosted by Zyxa

I'm on board with you. One of the big issues I have with it is they've made a mockery of the interface. Unless you go through extraordinary measures to rework your UI, the crap on the screen makes it painful to play. Using a vanilla setup:

1) Upper left to watch your Holy Power
2) Upper right to watch your Inquisition timer
3) Middle of the screen to watch your random procs
4) Bottom (right for me) to watch your cooldowns because my cooldowns are affected by stats
5) Back to the middle of the screen to watch the actual FIGHT

It's a travesty of software design (coming from someone that codes front end designs, and those designs are given to me by people who design intuitive interfaces for a living...). I personally get annoyed that I have to go download extra crap just to make the UI usable.

I am having the same difficulty and I'm currently looking for some kind addons to help solve this problem.
Reply Quote
I start out trying to be positive when I post and try to give constructive criticism. I end up thinking of nothing but profanity when I remember what it's like to actually play the spec now compared to before. I couldn't agree more when you said that this must be some kind of a joke. It's like they let an ADD child with a gambling problem design the spec.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ya. I can't understand how this really happened. Beta testers called all this out months ago, and nothing happened. Not even a word of discussion. It's really quite aggrevating and idk what bliz expects the people to think if they get upset at all the inflamatory posts
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/08/2010 3:44 PMPosted by Mnejing
Ret has been incredibly frustrating for me since... yesterday. I wasn't amazingly happy with a secondary resource being introduced, but I got used to it quick. But this Cataclysm? This is a joke, I really hope. I picked ret up way back when because I -always- had SOMETHING to do. Always. Now, I'm relying on really slow white swings (thanks for all of the useless mastery guys, really) to fill in 4-5 gaps while I sit there and wait for something to happen.

Oh, and leveling sucked. I enjoyed the edge-of-your-seat action in heroic raids, but I am not fond of the idea that two mobs can kill me WHILE LEVELING. Self-healing is a joke, either I'm in a situation where I need a heal quick and don't have one (why am I using Lay on Hands while leveling anyway? I can't cast a heal while I'm taking more damage in 2.5 seconds it takes to cast than the heal is actually worth), or I have a quick heal but it heals me for 10k while I have a 100k health pool. This is poor design and it goes back to poor beta testing (LOOK GUYS, I'M "TESTING" CATACLYSM!).

Agree with everything above. It is just sad.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I just wish blizzard would say something about it. Its been brought up for months and nothing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]