Item Level and Existing Characters

100 Night Elf Druid
From the very start of the Alpha, I noticed that the gear provided is low in item level compared to what can be currently obtained in MoP, and the gear that was provided for the first glimpse of dungeons at last year's Blizzcon. So with this, I have a few questions:

1. Will the gear that will be obtainable from the first quests at the launch of WoD be this low in item level and therefore be completely overshadowed by players' current gear?

Or

2. Will the quests and monsters (as well as overall difficulty) of the starting content for WoD be raised to challenge players with higher item level gear?

More importantly, about the Alpha:

3: Will there be, or is there already, a way to import character data from live MoP accounts into the Alpha? Namely, I would like to be able to play MY characters rather than just use WoD template characters.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I think that this is blizzards current close cplan ilvl wise for a starting zone, I managed to copy this mage over to the Alpha client and everything is extremely easy to kill and quest with an ilvl of which I have that is 584.

At the moment only Horde characters can be copied and they cannot be Pandaren either.

EDIT: Kraineth's information on the portal to Frostfire ridge in the cataclysm portal zones in the major cities.
Edited by Kaidien on 6/10/2014 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
06/09/2014 11:59 PMPosted by Kaidien
I think that this is blizzards current close cplan ilvl wise for a starting zone, I managed to copy this mage over to the Alpha client but the only way to get to frostfire ridge is to get a warlock to summon you. Everything is extremely easy with an ilvl of which I have that is 584.

At the moment only Horde characters can be copied and they cannot be Pandaren either.

Just a note here, anyone can get to Frostfire Via a portal in Orgrimmar near where the cataclysm zone portal are, It looks like a tiny Dark Portal.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You can transfer over characters though if you're ally they become horde obviously. You can get to Draenor wither via a summon or apparently a portal.

The starting ilvl was a bit rough from a solo healer questing standpoint but nothing so difficult that I felt as if I couldn't complete the content.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I doubt copying a ally character just makes it horde, it will either

A. just not let you copy it
B. Let you copy it and then the character will be locked and unusable until ally are ready for testing
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Mage
I copied a character to Mekkatorque so I could hang out with EU mages.

Then they all told me Mekkatorque isn't even up. But it was on the list... I'm stupid :(

My druid is on Lost Isles though, but when I try to log him in it does not work - you just get an error box. Only horde is in now. I'd imagine it will change eventually.

I just hope some more character copies open up once Alliance is turned on so I can move my mage to Lost Isles.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I'd say this is very good approach, as long as your SoO gears get replaced before 100. It's OK for those gears to work a bit longer.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
06/10/2014 06:46 AMPosted by Warpedsoul
I doubt copying a ally character just makes it horde, it will either

A. just not let you copy it
B. Let you copy it and then the character will be locked and unusable until ally are ready for testing

I can confirm that I was able to copy this Alliance priest to Lost Isles, but then get an error message when attempting to log in using this character. There is no free faction-swap option, as has been used in past betas and PTRs.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/09/2014 11:44 PMPosted by Gaeth
Will the gear that will be obtainable from the first quests at the launch of WoD be this low in item level and therefore be completely overshadowed by players' current gear?

Yes. We want players who have spent the time and effort to collect endgame Mists of Pandaria gear to go into the expansion with a bit of an advantage. We also need to make sure that players who haven't been farming endgame gear aren't struggling just to complete their first few quests in Warlords. That means, much like previous expansions, your current epic gear will likely last you for a little while into Draenor.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
06/10/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Lore
Will the gear that will be obtainable from the first quests at the launch of WoD be this low in item level and therefore be completely overshadowed by players' current gear?

Yes. We want players who have spent the time and effort to collect endgame Mists of Pandaria gear to go into the expansion with a bit of an advantage. We also need to make sure that players who haven't been farming endgame gear aren't struggling just to complete their first few quests in Warlords. That means, much like previous expansions, your current epic gear will likely last you for a little while into Draenor.

Any info on the iLv of next leveling zone? Since at 100, the blue quest rewards will be as high as 630(or not?), that's a lot iLv to catch up in a few leveling zones...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue

Free 550 PVP gear coming back to the alpha or was that a bug to begin with?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Legendary cloak will last (maybe) until raid-gear lvl100. It's still ridiculously strong. Heroic BiS raiders might start replacing gear at lvl97. So, figure that a Normal-mode toon could last in their upgraded gear to as high at 95.
Edited by Cyous on 6/10/2014 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
06/10/2014 11:53 AMPosted by Killars

Free 550 PVP gear coming back to the alpha or was that a bug to begin with?

Totally fixed for now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
06/10/2014 11:49 AMPosted by Doubdan

Any info on the iLv of next leveling zone? Since at 100, the blue quest rewards will be as high as 630(or not?), that's a lot iLv to catch up in a few leveling zones...

By my best guess, from looking at quests and items that have been datamined:
Frostfire/SMV = ilvl 510 (90-92)
Goregrond := ilvl 530(?) (92-94)
Talador = ilvl 550 (according to wowhead) (94-96)
Spires of Arak = ilvl 570 (96-98)
Nagrand = ilvl 590 (98-100)
Tanan = ???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]