Why am I running out of mana so fast?

90 Blood Elf Monk
Well, I am at that level where it is time I get my stuff together, because raids aren't going to he happy with when the tank dies because I let it happen. So, ever since my mid 80's or so, I have been finding myself running dry on mana much more frequently. I try to stack as much spirit as I can, but the gear I have been getting in the dungeons and on Pandaria is mainly full of Intellect. I've been healing for a short time, as I mainly tank, but I have really come to enjoy healing as well. I am a very technical tank, so I of course want to become a much more technical healer. People have told me to keep HoTs on the tank, and one guy even told me that I should have Chi Brew in my talent tree, or even Power Strikes (I have Ascension) because they are much more mana efficient. I've already been told that I am a great healer, but only when the tank is courteous enough to let me drink water between damn near every mob. Is it my rotation aside from my lack of spirit? I mainly put my statue up, then go Soothing Mist + Renewing Mist, then Enveloping Mist . Some players have told me to spam Uplift as well, but I sometimes find myself spamming it just so people can be quiet, even though they don't need it. But I also still find myself low on mana when I dont use Uplift, and in fact, I run out quicker when I dont use it. What can I do?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Because you have 1867 Spirit and no Legendary Meta Gem.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/08/2014 12:00 AMPosted by Ausaris
But I also still find myself low on mana when I dont use Uplift, and in fact, I run out quicker when I dont use it. What can I do?

Sounds like you should use Uplift.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/08/2014 12:15 AMPosted by Tiriel
Because you have 1867 Spirit

spirit is the worst monk stat

/s
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ok so. Intellect is good for you. Certainly better than, say, a strength trinket or those agi shoulders.

The guy who told you to spec Chi Brew was correct. It's amazing and will help your mana a lot. Power Strikes is a distant second, and Ascension is the worst of the three.

MW regen is based around consuming Chi (this is one of the reasons Uplift is so useful) to generate Mana Tea, and then consuming the Mana Tea charges by drinking tea to return mana. You need to be consuming your chi as often as possible. Chi Brew will assist in this by generating 2 chi as well as 2 mana tea charges (it can sometimes generate more than 2).

But yeah you should also stick to leather intellect gear and healer-favoring trinkets. If you don't have items for those slots, go buy some from the gear vendor.
Reply Quote
As a MW, you need to be mitigating your mana usage. Spec into Chi Brew. Use Expel Harm and Renewing Mists on CD. Use Enveloping Mists to consume Chi and generate a stack of Mana Tea. Mana Tea and Chi Brew should be part of your "rotation". Soothing Mist is not exactly the most mana-efficient spell in WoW, use it when you really have to but not always.

I also recommend Glyph of Targeted Expulsion.
Edited by Riko on 6/8/2014 2:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
As a MW, you need to be mitigating your mana usage. Spec into Chi Brew. Use Expel Harm and Renewing Mists on CD. Use Enveloping Mists to consume Chi and generate a stack of Mana Tea. Mana Tea and Chi Brew should be part of your "rotation". Soothing Mist is not exactly the most mana-efficient spell in WoW, use it when you really have to but not always.

I also recommend Glyph of Targeted Expulsion.

Just to clarify, this is probably 89 advice only. At cap chi you spend on enveloping is usually a waste, soothing is perfectly spammable...basically useless but spammable, and targeted expulsion is fairly trashy as a glyph slot.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
You should really spec into chi brew. It's just so much stronger than the other options.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
06/08/2014 02:41 AMPosted by Riko
Soothing Mist is not exactly the most mana-efficient spell in WoW, use it when you really have to but not always.

I think you mean Surging Mist?
Soothing is extremely efficient.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, I am at that level where it is time I get my stuff together, because raids aren't going to he happy with when the tank dies because I let it happen. So, ever since my mid 80's or so, I have been finding myself running dry on mana much more frequently.

I try to stack as much spirit as I can, but the gear I have been getting in the dungeons and on Pandaria is mainly full of Intellect. I've been healing for a short time, as I mainly tank, but I have really come to enjoy healing as well. I am a very technical tank, so I of course want to become a much more technical healer.

People have told me to keep HoTs on the tank, and one guy even told me that I should have Chi Brew in my talent tree, or even Power Strikes (I have Ascension) because they are much more mana efficient. I've already been told that I am a great healer, but only when the tank is courteous enough to let me drink water between damn near every mob. Is it my rotation aside from my lack of spirit?

I mainly put my statue up, then go Soothing Mist + Renewing Mist, then Enveloping Mist . Some players have told me to spam Uplift as well, but I sometimes find myself spamming it just so people can be quiet, even though they don't need it. But I also still find myself low on mana when I dont use Uplift, and in fact, I run out quicker when I dont use it. What can I do?

First, you will rely on spirit until you get around ilvl 530 OR you get the Legendary Meta Gem. Gem spirit, reforge spirit, and focus crit secondary to that. Until your crit is potent enough to boost your mana tea enough, you'll be OOM halfway through fights.

Second, Chi Brew is better for mana efficiency because each charge gives you 1 stack of mana tea along with half a stack in raw chi. When you use both, you'll have 3 stacks of mana tea or 12% of your mana back right there along with the on demand burst monks lack otherwise. Also, the tea granted by chi brew is affected by crit so it has a chance for an extra stack each time.

Third, you should be relying more on spreading Renewing Mists and uplifting. ReM is about a quarter of your overall effective healing done when used right, and uplift will be another quarter. Soothing mists is either for directing instant surging mists, farming chi, or spending downtime. Enveloping mists is to counter heavy ticking damage or for a tank.

Fourth, your most mana efficient emergency healing is healing sphere. The one you have to cast on the ground and hope your target hits. You don't want to rely on it when possible because it gives no chi in return for the mana you spend, but you can throw 3 under a tank in 1.5 seconds and put them at full health for the cost of 2 surging mists and half the time.

Fifth, expel harm is the cheapest way to get more chi. Use it as much as possible.

Edit: Just making sure, you know you can use purple gems for red sockets (int/spirit) and green for yellow sockets (crit/spirit), right?
Edited by Rakachu on 6/15/2014 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I'm going to go with the obvious, but.. enchant and reforge your gear? that's like 20% of stats you are missing right there.

And read a guide, it seems you are not using some of the key spells from mistweavers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
ReM/Uplift are certainly the bread and butter of Mistweavers. ReM blankets the group in HoTs, and Uplift heals all players with ReM on them.
If you're doing this, you'll have mana tea, and mana will become redundant.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
06/15/2014 08:20 PMPosted by Volißear
ReM/Uplift are certainly the bread and butter of Mistweavers. ReM blankets the group in HoTs, and Uplift heals all players with ReM on them.
If you're doing this, you'll have mana tea, and mana will become redundant.

You stole my name!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I didn't, I swear!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
06/08/2014 12:15 AMPosted by Tiriel
Because you have 1867 Spirit and no Legendary Meta Gem.

And you're using an agility trinket and a intel/hit necklace- quit rolling because "ilvl" and roll because "It's good for my spec." (that was directed at the OP.)

Are you making sure you are using mana tea?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Well, I am at that level where it is time I get my stuff together, because raids aren't going to he happy with when the tank dies because I let it happen. So, ever since my mid 80's or so, I have been finding myself running dry on mana much more frequently. I try to stack as much spirit as I can, but the gear I have been getting in the dungeons and on Pandaria is mainly full of Intellect. I've been healing for a short time, as I mainly tank, but I have really come to enjoy healing as well. I am a very technical tank, so I of course want to become a much more technical healer. People have told me to keep HoTs on the tank, and one guy even told me that I should have Chi Brew in my talent tree, or even Power Strikes (I have Ascension) because they are much more mana efficient. I've already been told that I am a great healer, but only when the tank is courteous enough to let me drink water between damn near every mob. Is it my rotation aside from my lack of spirit? I mainly put my statue up, then go Soothing Mist + Renewing Mist, then Enveloping Mist . Some players have told me to spam Uplift as well, but I sometimes find myself spamming it just so people can be quiet, even though they don't need it. But I also still find myself low on mana when I dont use Uplift, and in fact, I run out quicker when I dont use it. What can I do?

Most likely a lack of generating Tea stacks.
Edited by Reesi on 6/16/2014 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Priest
Because you have 1867 Spirit.

Worst healer ever. Lol
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
You need more spirit..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
You are all over the place, still. It's hard to be efficient right now, given your stats and even gems.

Check out my toon. I am not saying I am an expert, and I still have work to do on it's gear, but on the other hand, I can't remember the last time I came even close to low mana.
Edited by Sambora on 6/19/2014 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I see you are up to about 6k spirit. You should aim for 9 at least, then aim for intellect. ( I know I have much more than that, but that is for a special case.)

Mistweaver is designed to heal with melee attacks in times of low damage, then switch to casting when damage gets higher.

If you keep tiger palm and bck buffs up and statue, your auto attacks heal quite a bit. Of course you also need to keep renewing mist up and hit expel harm ( creates chi) on cooldown.

If your tank,is good at corralling groups sck is awesome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]