Disc Healing on Thok

90 Draenei Priest
I'm pulling between 100k to 105k hps on Thok Normal. I got kicked tonight for low hps. What can I do to improve my hps?

I spam divine star and PW:S plus all the regular disc priest dps abilities.
Edited by Kyralluu on 6/21/2014 8:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
06/21/2014 08:56 PMPosted by Kyralluu
I spam cascade

Spec Divine Star.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I meant divine star! That's what I do
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm not a mainspec healer anymore, but is what acceptable hps nowadays?

But to (try) answer your question, are you using SS during phase 1's?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My main used to be a disc priest, I don't have much experience in healing normals much as you can see but I'll give you my opinion on this, even if it's not the best.

I see you have 14k spirit, that seems a tad high to me, on my priest I could usually run 10k fine and didn't even have meta gem. Maybe try dumping that extra 4k into crit ? Also, for Naz trinket, from my knowledge I think you should try to aim for the Thok trinket or the one from Seige.

Did you make good use of Inner Focus and Spirit Shell ? If not, try to do so.

I don't have much more advice apart from that, again not a very advanced healer but that's just my advice on it, anyhow, best of luck to you :3
Edited by Mínou on 6/21/2014 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Given your ilvl you should be able to pull closer to 200k if not more.

I can't go into details atm but, here are a few things to consider.

Are you utilizing spirit shell?

Do you line up Divine Star with Archangel?--> Every AA gives you 2 buffed DS casts

Are you squeezing in holy fires and penance casts in between screeches?

Are you utilizing Inner Focus's immunity to interrupts to get off 2 PoH's later into the encounter?

Do you have PoM flying around?

You already mentioned PW:S spam, but you resort to that too during the impossible to cast phases.

E: Oh and are you using barrier?(not an hps issue but regardless :P)
Edited by Nametwenty on 6/21/2014 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
idk, i think priest in general will take a hit on thok. that phase one interrupt is a nonstarter. I agree w/ nametwenty in that you should be utilizing pw;s spam and divine star but w/ cooldwns n whatnot you are just going to simply lag behind other healers of comparable ilvl.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
06/21/2014 10:07 PMPosted by Elwe
idk, i think priest in general will take a hit on thok.

Incorrect. Disc priest is far and away the best healer on Thok; they absolutely destroy everyone else on the meters when played correctly.

Keep PoM and Holy Fire on CD. Penance offensively as much as possible, but you may have to clip it before the interrupt, which is perfectly acceptable. AA+DS (and DS again before AA fades) on CD. Any time you are not casting something, you should be throwing PW:S out on as many people as possible.
As others said, macroing Inner Focus and Spirit Shell together is a beneficial idea here, especially if you can lead that Inner Focus into a Devotion Aura so you can actually cast SS more.
Glyph of Weakened Soul is useful here. I found unglyphing Penance to be advantageous, as movement is not immensely important here, and it makes your mana easier, and allows you to clip ticks more easily.
Glyph of Binding Heal is also a decent option, as glyphed Binding Heal between roars is actually quite effective as another filler.

If you think Disc sucks on this fight you are doing it beyond wrong. I mean, have you met our lord and savior, Divine Star?
Edited by Piamette on 6/21/2014 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/21/2014 10:37 PMPosted by Piamette
Incorrect. Disc priest is far and away the best healer on Thok; they absolutely destroy everyone else on the meters when played correctly.

^ Very much this. You may have a bit of trouble if you don't know how to approach it, but once you do. Disc is monsterous. Especially if you have a paladin. I wish I had a paladin :(.
Reply Quote
When you don't massively overgear the fight, Holy is stronger than Disc for Thok Even with >580 ilvls underhealing it Holy maybe stronger, not sure, haven't played with it. It was definitely the better spec when the content was relevant. In 10 man, Shaman is far and away, by miles, the strongest spec for Thok.

That said, Disc is still very, very good with Divine Star, and 100k hps is quite low.

Make sure you always have Archangel up for each Difine Star cast. You have 2 pc which makes it extremely valuable to have AA up for any T90 ability cast.

Inner Focus allows you to cast 2 Prayer of Healings without worrying about being interrupted. If you are doing close 25-30 stacks you can effectively use IF twice in the stack phase by using it early (~5 stacks) and again around 23 stacks

Prayer of Healing with a 15% or greater haste buff can be cast in between max speed screeches. This means you can use the borrowed time from PW:S to get a PoH off. This takes some practice and is latency / haste dependent, but is generally worth more than PW:S when it doesn't overheal.

Make sure to cast offensive Penance and HF nearly on CD so you always have 5 stacks of Evangelism when AA comes off CD. Smite is easily castable but PW:S is better for throughput.

Consider dropping spirit for more mastery and crit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Why aren't you using the legendary gem, OP? That thing is AMAZING and will reduce your need for spirit significantly, allowing you to get even more crit!

Also keep in mind that because Divine Star is considered a "Divine" (Holy+Arcane) type spell, it can still be cast even after having been interrupted while casting a holy spell (as in everything in your kit, basically). So if you mess up and get interrupted during a penance cast, for example, you can still cast Divine Star afterwards.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
- Macro AA and DS together.
- Start the fight by building Evangelism and use the macro everytime DS is up. This is probably the most important - you want to ensure that DS/AA is constantly used on CD even during the kite phase.
- Use Penance and HF on CD to get 5x Evangelism stacks every 30s. You can get a full Penance off if you cast it immediately after Thok casts a Deafening Screech.
- Keep in mind that Penance will cause your toon to face Thok. Make sure you reposition yourself so that DS doesn't get cast towards the boss instead of your melee clump.
- Spam PW:S only when AA is up to optimize efficiency and certainly abuse your LMG procs by spamming PW:S or MD when it's up.
- Always cast PoM when the previous one is fully used up.
- Depending on when your guild calls for AMs, you can use IF towards the end of an AM to get a full SS off.
Edited by Rethly on 6/22/2014 7:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Another thing that my group use to do when we raided was call for a pally to put a bubble on the priest. It will give you a window to heal everyone and to put a spirit shell on the raid group. Just make sure the pally calls it out or makes a macro for it.

It seemed to help our disc out and blow the rest of us out of the water in healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
06/22/2014 07:21 AMPosted by Calendes
Another thing that my group use to do when we raided was call for a pally to put a bubble on the priest. It will give you a window to heal everyone and to put a spirit shell on the raid group. Just make sure the pally calls it out or makes a macro for it.

It seemed to help our disc out and blow the rest of us out of the water in healing.

A BoP is better saved for allowing a resto druid to tranq, a holy priest divine hymn, or even just allowing a shaman to free cast.
Unless your healing team is a MW and/or Holy Paladin alongside a Disc, the BoP is better saved for someone else.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Instead of a bop, macro SS or PoH into Inner Focus, and coordinate with your Devo Aura to chain your interrupt immunity into DA so you can get a solid 4 casts off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Any reason you are not going for ANY of your socket bonuses and reforging out of mastery? Also using haste on gloves.

I was only able to find some logs from the end of May, if you are still having trouble after you implement what people have suggested already consider running some logs and posting them :) Based off the one I found from May 30th you were barely using shield and never used Spirit Shell.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As much of your reforging as possible should be OUT of haste, NOT into it.
A disc priest in my team is now down to <1000 rating, as he only has haste on one piece of his gear now, and he's looking to replace it. Your top priority is Crit > Mastery > everything else > haste, in terms of secondary stats, once you have enough spirit to be comfortable.
Change your reforging to get rid of haste, get some more crit/mast, and follow the above suggestions for your rotation, you'll see improvements :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
06/22/2014 01:49 AMPosted by Skyfire
So if you mess up and get interrupted during a penance cast, for example, you can still cast Divine Star afterwards.

I feel really stupid for not knowing this, I mean I am sure I have hit it when I am mashing my keyboard because I messed up an interrupt, but yea thanks for the tip.

06/22/2014 12:36 PMPosted by Piamette
A BoP is better saved for allowing a resto druid to tranq, a holy priest divine hymn, or even just allowing a shaman to free cast.

As Disc, I can't catch a druid co-healer when they pass the 25 stack mark with a free cast tranq. That seems to be the magic number for me. Allowing for times when we need to kite the boss because RNG hates us but yea, if he tranqs anything past 25 stacks he wins the meter race.

However, when my usual shammy partner is in the mix and I go holy. That same 25 number works, she can't catch me if I freecast DH to run past the 25 mark. Assuming of course I am not spending the rest of the encounter running away from a giant dino trying to eat me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
06/21/2014 10:37 PMPosted by Piamette
06/21/2014 10:07 PMPosted by Elwe
idk, i think priest in general will take a hit on thok.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Siege_of_Orgrimmar/Thok_the_Bloodthirsty/10H/hps/

Disc is really pumping out those numbers.

It's important to differentiate between 10m and 25m balance, and not make generic blanket statements. Especially since the populations of each are very unbalanced.
Edited by Iviker on 6/23/2014 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
you act like 315k is actually bad or something. anyway, it looks to me like a lot of those are either cheesed in general when one healer is miles above the other... like often the shaman or druid is 200k+ more healing above the other. then again, i only looked at the first 10 rankings where most of the time there was no disc or the disc was pretty much smiting and not using the healing cloak for the most part. logs look a lot more even further down the line. that's the trouble with ranking these days. the top ones are always cheesed.

granted 25s is a lot more gross for disc but to act like 10 man disc isn't strong or anything is simply incorrect. at this point from the "logs" as you've linked, disc is far and away the more represented and better spec.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#size=10&metric=hps&boss=1599&class=Priest
Edited by Tsilyi on 6/23/2014 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]