Merged AH a feature of Warlords?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I noticed today that the auction house is merged between the horde and alliance side. I am hoping this is a feature we will eventually see on live. Tired of the out of the way goblin auction houses being the only way for horde / alliance auction interaction. It seems like the goblins would go where the money really is and take over the horde and alliance auction houses and merge them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hopefully it is. It would make life a lot more bearable as minority faction on an unbalanced server.
Reply Quote
Game Designer
06/30/2014 11:32 PMPosted by Verrazano
Hopefully it is. It would make life a lot more bearable as minority faction on an unbalanced server.

Yes, in 6.0 auction houses are unified between factions on a given server. The benefit you cite is a major reason behind the change.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
07/01/2014 01:05 AMPosted by Watcher
Yes, in 6.0 auction houses are unified between factions on a given server. The benefit you cite is a major reason behind the change.

What happens to the current neutral auction houses then? Do they also become merged with those of the capital cities?

If they do, I can see it becoming incredibly difficult to send items to the opposite faction. I know this isn't really a "supported" transaction, but are you willing to let us keep this nifty benefit? Or perhaps finally just allow us to mail to alts on the same account on the opposite faction?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Good change, especially for those on low pop factions (but a high pop on the other side). Also will beef up those low/med pop servers quite a bit and hopefully encourages players to roll on them more
Edited by Digerati on 7/1/2014 1:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
07/01/2014 01:29 AMPosted by Kronosh

What happens to the current neutral auction houses then? Do they also become merged with those of the capital cities?

If they do, I can see it becoming incredibly difficult to send items to the opposite faction. I know this isn't really a "supported" transaction, but are you willing to let us keep this nifty benefit? Or perhaps finally just allow us to mail to alts on the same account on the opposite faction?

How would losing the neutral auction houses be any different than having them, if all auction houses are effectively neutral ? Wouldn't this just make it easier, actually ? As in, no need to travel to one of those neutral AH cities.

I do think we should be able to transfer gold/items between same-server / different-faction characters on our accounts, tho.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
06/30/2014 11:32 PMPosted by Verrazano

How will faction specific items be dealt with? Can you elaborate more on this decision with more of an indepth post? Perhaps a new blog post? This is a major feature change I feel, along with many people in the community, which impacts a major pillar of the game.. which is game economics / professions.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm sure you would still be able to buy faction specific items, they would just be useless to that particular faction.

Benefits far outweigh the cons. It will be much harder to corner markets on smaller servers, and I doubt Blizzard will care if it impacts the fun of several dozen people who play the 'AH" as the major cornerstone of the games overall appeal.

Neutral auction houses are a complete hassle and it should make life a lot easier for those on unbalanced servers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hmm.

Well, I can certainly understand the benefits from the perspective of realms with poor faction balance, but ... Factions are supposed to be in competition for resources. They're supposed to be opposed.

Gradually, over the life of the game, the two factions have had their individuality leeched away, and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. Game play, game functionality and story all have to be balanced obviously but ... I don't know.

Let's just say I'm less enthusiastic than the other people posting in this thread. Faction identity and distinctiveness are valuable community elements too and this definitely erodes those.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/01/2014 03:47 AMPosted by Tasida
Hmm.

Well, I can certainly understand the benefits from the perspective of realms with poor faction balance, but ... Factions are supposed to be in competition for resources. They're supposed to be opposed.

Gradually, over the life of the game, the two factions have had their individuality leeched away, and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. Game play, game functionality and story all have to be balanced obviously but ... I don't know.

Let's just say I'm less enthusiastic than the other people posting in this thread. Faction identity and distinctiveness are valuable community elements too and this definitely erodes those.

Two immediate thoughts from me on your comments;

1. "Opposing factions" do business with each other on a frequent basis everywhere. You might not be friends with someone, but at the end of the day, resources may need to shift hands.

2. Gameplay concerns will take precedence over lore / RP, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
You won't even notice you're buying from the opposite faction anyways. Heck, if they hadn't told us about it, you would have never even known/realized that's what was going on.

Unless, of course, they decide to stick some sort of visual cue in the UI, but meh.

This will be a major improvement to the markets on pretty much all the servers, especially the imbalanced ones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I've always imagined even before they were put in to the Org auction house after cata that goblins ran the back end of the AH, so now they just are double dealing ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
07/01/2014 05:17 AMPosted by Shadofall
I've always imagined even before they were put in to the Org auction house after cata that goblins ran the back end of the AH, so now they just are double dealing ;)

There ARE a lot of neutral goblins out there who would obviously trade with Gallywix's goblins (the ones aligned with the Horde).

Gallywix's goblins run the Horde AH, and Neutral Goblins trade with them, and then trade with the Alliance, which is how Horde Goods end up on the Alliance Market and vice-versa.

Makes sense lore-wise, especially when you consider that the neutral AHs are barely used.... why would any respectable goblin want to continue trying to eke out a few coins here and there in some backwater town nobody goes to, rather than establishing a trade contract with Gallywix AND the Alliance and making WAY more money in the process? It just makes more sense to do it that way.
Edited by Dharyna on 7/1/2014 5:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I think this is a very positive change, and this coming from someone who at times enjoys "playing the AH". It should go a long way to lessen spikes in supply and demand, especially in servers that have lopsided populations.

I'm also pretty sure that Blizz can spin this so that it makes sense lore-wise. Remember, we "kinda-sorta-not really" made nice at the end of the Siege of Orgrimmar, maybe an economic treaty is established with goblins or ethereals as the go-betweens.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/01/2014 05:28 AMPosted by Nymeria
I think this is a very positive change, and this coming from someone who at times enjoys "playing the AH". It should go a long way to lessen spikes in supply and demand, especially in servers that have lopsided populations.

I'm also pretty sure that Blizz can spin this so that it makes sense lore-wise. Remember, we "kinda-sorta-not really" made nice at the end of the Siege of Orgrimmar, maybe an economic treaty is established with goblins or ethereals as the go-betweens.

the reforge guy has moved in to the auction house biz!
Reply Quote
2 Troll Warrior
It's just another fix to Blizzard's history of ignoring faction balances on servers. The under represented faction gets screwed because the supply is smaller. Large population has always controlled prices because there is always someone in the wings waiting to undercut you even if it is by a few silver.

They really need to add cross-faction gold mailing at least on the account level then.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
and yet we still can't TALK to each other. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
07/01/2014 06:11 AMPosted by Vilhelmriker
and yet we still can't TALK to each other. >.>

long long time ago it was possible.. it didnt go well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's got to be a good thing for servers with a big faction imbalance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Anyone strongly opposed to selling items on the AH where the dirty opposite faction might get their hands on them always has the option of selling their items in trade chat to show their patriotism.

I think the Goblin Cartels should unite all of the auction houses across all servers. Let's see what happens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]