Are top healing parses bad?

90 Draenei Shaman
If you rank while healing does that just mean your raid is terrible and takes lots of damage?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A variety of reasons.

Including but not limited to:

-underhealing content
-fast kill times (long period of burst healing)
-your cohealers are underperforming either intentionally or because they are less skilled
-cheesing for the purpose of ranking (letting orbs sit on noru, ignoring healer cds)
-healer deaths.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
06/26/2014 04:12 PMPosted by Naérwen
A variety of reasons.

-underhealing content
-your cohealers are underperforming either intentionally or because they are less skilled
-cheesing for the purpose of ranking (letting orbs sit on noru, ignoring healer cds)
-healer deaths.

Lifegripping your cohealer so they die on purpose so you can rank.

Not that I have tried it ...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Healing ranks are largely meaningless.
Summed it up quite well above;
A variety of reasons.

-underhealing content
-healer deaths.

Couple of other factors;
1 Ranking on normal content at this point in the tier; You probably outgear by 20ilvls the earlier rankings.
2 Comp dependant. A resto Druid/Shaman with proper knowledge and play can rank fairly easily on a fight like say, Sha of pride. Throw a disc priest into that comp and there's no way no how he can possibly rank unless Disc dies or is incredibly bad/wearing str gear.
Edited by Tonydanza on 6/26/2014 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
06/26/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Swiftyshaman
If you rank while healing does that just mean your raid is terrible and takes lots of damage?

No
Reply Quote
healers that rank are just padding idiots...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Aside from how fast the boss dies, healing numbers are also based on your raid comp. Suppose you are doing 25M with the following comps: 2 disc priest, 1 holy pally, and three other non absorbed based healers.

Anytime you have a disc priest or several of them inside a raid with a holy pally, you'll be finding yourself that the other non absorbed based healers will have extremely low effective hps numbers. On the other hand, if you have no disc priests or holy pallies in the raid, their hps numbers skyrocket.

While the latter will give you good healing numbers, the former will net you more successful boss kills because absorbs will stabilize the raid better than anything else. Generally speaking, of course.

An extreme example would be Thok:

Take 4 disc priest, 1 holy pally, and two others. I bet you anything the other two will be crying themselves to sleep after the kill.

That's why hps numbers are not indicative of skill and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Edited by Jadetea on 6/27/2014 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
06/27/2014 10:42 AMPosted by Jadetea
An extreme example would be Thok:

Take 4 disc priest, 1 holy pally, and two others. I bet you anything the other two will be crying themselves to sleep after the kill.

Extreme you say?

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MFAptbGycVY31JNz#fight=32&type=healing
Reply Quote
06/27/2014 10:42 AMPosted by Jadetea

That's why you should really not take 7 healers to thok anymore.
4 is enough. 5 if you want extra safety.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Its mostly due to underhealing and (now) overgearing. As a result, faster kill times etc happen indirectly just from the extra dps, also making solo healing possible. Like we are going 25 man soon and I don't plan on taking more than 3-4 healers for most fights just because of said reasons.

A competent and decently geared shaman who has the raid in similar gear as him / her, is completely capable of solo healing the first 9 and the last 3 on 10h. spoils obviously not. Thok probably YES but it would be stupid since you would transition fast etc.

At 580+ ivl, 1 tank 1 heal results in most boss fights end at 2:30 minutes - 3 minutes so it isn't exactly hard.
Reply Quote
I solo healed HSpoils on an under geared disc priest during our alt group progression, certainly you can solo it on a well geared resto shaman in 10m
Edited by Naxe on 6/27/2014 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/27/2014 02:15 PMPosted by Naxe
I solo healed HSpoils on an under geared disc priest during our alt group progression, certainly you can solo it on a well geared resto shaman in 10m

I generally let my shaman solo heal our side, (25H) and sort of just atonement, occasionally help out with tank damage.

I'm sure he probably could solo heal it, honestly.
Reply Quote
You can't do the fight the traditional way, you take 1 tank 1 healer and all 8 dps do one side, then jump over and do the other side with all 10 ppl. Do that 4 times and win.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Isn't that the typical way of doing in 10H?

I am a dirty 25m. I misinterpreted, but regardless he could definitely solo heal 1 side, if not just the whole thing. Shamans are kinda amazing.

(don't tell the other priests)
Reply Quote
06/27/2014 02:36 PMPosted by Naérwen
Isn't that the typical way of doing in 10H?

Not really.

Our shaman solo heals her side on Spoils each time. That's healing more people than if you were doing 10 man zerg strat with 1 healer. /shrug
Suplift refuses to play ret.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Oh you're right, true didn't really think it through on spoils. Forgot that finishing both sides with 90-100 seconds + probably means.... exactly what you are saying. I am guessing you just left one dps on the spark side to kill all the sparks?

To others, the first 5 + nazgrim are so incredibly easy to do (like at 565 / 570+) and have been for an incredibly long time (and even more-so on a shaman). Dark shamans is annoying but you end up killing it so that people only have to play well for 180 seconds. Juggernaut H @ 580 when 1 tank 1 healing is a ~ 2 minute 20 sec encounter meaning you can blow all healing cooldowns before the phase. garr / siege are not difficult. And while paragons is annoying (and also probably pointless to do), its doable. Same on malk.

As for you OP, I didn't bother to see that you are doing normals which is my fault. If you are ranking at normals at this point, I am not sure what it means as most heroic raiders have not stepped foot into normals for an incredibly long time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/26/2014 04:12 PMPosted by Veroicone
A variety of reasons.

-underhealing content
-healer deaths.

Lifegripping your cohealer so they die on purpose so you can rank.

Not that I have tried it ...

Not that your points aren't valid, but I don't think ranking on a fight is an indication of padding meters and what have you. If you look at world of logs you can see people who have cheesed the logs (or in some cases editted the log to show false values...) to get close to top rank. I don't think ranking on a fight is a matter of your group being bad though.

On a side note: I inadvertently had to solo heal Spoils last week. What a gong show. Our resto druid switched speaks and forgot to switch out of feral gear so she was oom in the first 30 seconds, lol. I'd say more props go to the people who use intelligent CDs to keep themselves and others alive as opposed to me who is just running from side to side shielding/AoEing - rinse and repeat. That fight is definitely a group effort.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Doing 25H spoils we 2-heal each side and I still wonder if two is even needed.

H Nazgrim I keep wondering if they ever considered healers being present in that fight to begin with. Nothing happens unless you screw up and get chained Warsongs, and even then you can just chain CDs because there is nothing else to blow them up for. :l
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/27/2014 03:21 PMPosted by Korgie
H Nazgrim I keep wondering if they ever considered healers being present in that fight to begin with. Nothing happens unless you screw up and get chained Warsongs, and even then you can just chain CDs because there is nothing else to blow them up for. :l

1 disc priest for bonecrackers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
06/27/2014 03:21 PMPosted by Korgie
Nothing happens unless you screw up and get chained Warsongs, and even then you can just chain CDs because there is nothing else to blow them up for. :l

Just man mode through defensive. You'll never get a War Song. Kill the boss before second zerker stance. I just AV bot till the double wave at the end and pop all my cds.
Edited by Duglawaha on 6/27/2014 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]