General healing question

Do you as a healer feel stressed when you heal? I'm talking about pve. I would assume things would get hectic in a raid situation. I healed a bit back at 80 and was thinking about doing it again. The healing nerf scares the hell out of me. I tried healing a little in cata and HATED it. It turned me off so bad I'm just now thinking about trying it again.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I haven't been stressed this xpac due to the fast pace of healing. Sometimes it can be fun, other times you have to make it fun when you know the abilities of other healers so the occasional extra mob pulls can get interesting lol.

Honestly though if you don't put yourself in stressful encounters say starting the trash pull on Galakaras in a 10m group and the second healer is afk/zoned out and the tanks pull as if both healers were there, you'll never be able to learn, test, or know how far you can go.

I'm looking forward to WoD healing it seems like a good time to shake things up, as even as healing has been across the board with different specs and classes since vanilla. The spammyness is getting old and the different flavors of classes has been lost. There are concerns but they're truely the unknowns at this point.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Healing is way more forgiving than you think and, soon, you'll realize that. I used to stress a lot over it, now I heal with one hand and hold the telephone on the other, lol.

Take note you healed at 80ish dungeons, which I'll assume are early cataclysm...The worst part for healers. Up until then you could have a rogue tanking the boss in cloth gear and a paladin spam Flash of Light for half of your life without ever going OoM. Then, suddenly, you can't do that anymore.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 11:30 AMPosted by Sengis
Healing is way more forgiving than you think and, soon, you'll realize that. I used to stress a lot over it, now I heal with one hand and hold the telephone on the other, lol.

Take note you healed at 80ish dungeons, which I'll assume are early cataclysm...The worst part for healers. Up until then you could have a rogue tanking the boss in cloth gear and a paladin spam Flash of Light for half of your life without ever going OoM. Then, suddenly, you can't do that anymore.

Oh I said Lv 80 but really ment to say wrath. I healed a bit in ICC
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Paladin
Healing right now is super easy. Yeah it can be stressful depending on your outlook/character/personality/group, but it is not fundamentally stressful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
I usually read forums or play something like plants vs zombies while healing. It's the furthest thing from stressful imo.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Coming from someone who fell in love with healing in early Cata (go ahead and call me a masochist)--

95% of healing this expansion has been pretty tame. When every heal, every cast matters, when it's not an AoE spam fest or a competition of who can snipe the most heals, I love healing. I love that intensity and the level of focus required. I wouldn't call it stressful though. Invigorating, maybe. Exciting. I may get a little worked up during the fight but the end result - killing the boss after an intense, charged several minutes of concentration and calculated decision making -- is absolutely thrilling. So no, definitely not stressful.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I've never in my entire WoW career found healing to be stressful. It is my natural element and I enjoy it. It has at times challenged me, been a difficulty I needed to address but I always found it very comfortable.

DPS on the other hand, is extremely stressful for me and I never perform well at it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Honestly, when things get hectic I find it the most fun. It's less stressful and more...thrilling.

If you want to heal after the healing nerf and are feeling nervous about it, find a group of friends or guildies willing to run with you until you have some more practice in and are probably going to be more forgiving as well.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
07/03/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Kym
Coming from someone who fell in love with healing in early Cata (go ahead and call me a masochist)--

95% of healing this expansion has been pretty tame. When every heal, every cast matters, when it's not an AoE spam fest or a competition of who can snipe the most heals, I love healing. I love that intensity and the level of focus required. I wouldn't call it stressful though. Invigorating, maybe. Exciting. I may get a little worked up during the fight but the end result - killing the boss after an intense, charged several minutes of concentration and calculated decision making -- is absolutely thrilling. So no, definitely not stressful.

Very much this. Sooo much this. Couldn't of said it any better, for myself.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I love healing. Healing is exciting and challenging. MoP healing is not hard. IMO, healing is the easiest compare to tanking and dps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've been healing since I started this game back in TBC, and honestly PvE healing right now is really boring. Nothing exciting or stressful about it imo. I liked healing in TBC and the start of Cata, where healers actually had to know what they were doing or fail with the triage healing model. Nowadays anyone can boost a healing class to 90, get some LFR gear, jump into a reg SoO and top meters.

Also this. 110% this.

07/03/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Kym

I'm really hoping that WoD can bring back what healing was like in TBC, or even early Cata, and that all the FotM healers don't cry like they did in Cata and make healing a snoozefest again.
Edited by Erebös on 7/4/2014 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
07/03/2014 08:52 AMPosted by Draculous
Do you as a healer feel stressed when you heal? I'm talking about pve. I would assume things would get hectic in a raid situation.

Save for a few encounters, I have not felt that healing raid content this expac has been very stressful. I think progression on meg was one of those exceptions, I was on my toes all 30 some wipes till we had that one figured out.

But thinking of the end of ToT, Lei Shen was very stressful when our raid group first hit it. But it was more about standing in the right places and learning the dance. The DPS had to do that and max their output. I just had to learn the dance and heal to a ceiling. Anything beyond that ceiling and well, someone just got one shot by a mechanic and we were going to wipe anyway.

Our hunter went to single soak and just realized that his deterrence was still on CD, Well I could not heal that no matter how hard I mashed my keyboard.

And again at the end of SoO, there was some stress figuring out the fight. But really, the stress is in the dance. Once the healers have the fight coordinated, that is the fight. The stress of learning the dance is the same for the DPS and Healers, save that it mostly falls on the DPS and Tanks to deal with the last phase contingencies. Your healers simply can't heal harder when the raid wipes to everyone getting possessed, there is no real stress in that encounter beyond what the tanks or DPS feel.

If anything It has been the DPS this expac that have consistently felt the stress in a hectic raid situation. Us healers have a job, and saving a few fights, once we learn that job for that fight the stress is much less that the other roles.

As for other than raid stress. There are two levels while leveling a toon where healing is stressful. Doing normal instances at the 88 and 89 levels is pretty rough. Once you bing 90 and spend an hour doing your timeless chest tour, healing any queueable content becomes pretty stress free, to the point where it is hard to stay awake doing it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
07/04/2014 03:46 PMPosted by Prideth
And again at the end of SoO, there was some stress figuring out the fight. But really, the stress is in the dance. Once the healers have the fight coordinated, that is the fight. The stress of learning the dance is the same for the DPS and Healers, save that it mostly falls on the DPS and Tanks to deal with the last phase contingencies. Your healers simply can't heal harder when the raid wipes to everyone getting possessed, there is no real stress in that encounter beyond what the tanks or DPS feel.

Exactly. Healing isn't stressful. What is stressful is the raid failing mechanics. If you let such things get you stressed out from a healing perspective. You should re-evaluate how you view healing. There are simply things that are not meant to be healed through.(Not to say you can't for some things) If your raid is screwing up, that is on them. Not on you. If you can learn to differentiate this as a healer. It actually is not stressful at all currently.

The stress you should be experiencing is not healing related. Unless your fellow raiders are trying to put their failure on you.
Reply Quote
When I first became a healer during mid-cata I attempted a 5-man and almost had a real life panic attack from the stress. I switched to pvp and never looked back, the teamwork approach of multiple healers is far more enjoyable.

I stunk at dps and still do, and I tanked during 1st half of cata, which I was so-so at, but found it boring.

IDK, healing just felt like me the moment I started doing it. I'll never be top, but I am good enough to have found my niche.

Edit: spellcheck hates the word "cata" and turns it into random words, grrrr.
Edited by Garethor on 7/8/2014 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Not really. I enjoy the challenge of being a healer. It's one of reasons I choose the spec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]