ETA on addons?

100 Gnome Mage
I hate the base interface and haven't used it since Vanilla. When I tried some addons that I know should work because their strings are intact, I get it labeled as 'insecure'. I assume that means addons are not allowed yet.

So when can we expect to be able to use addons, because after 9 years, I am rather dependent on them ;)
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
not till late in beta.. to many interface error to chase before introducing the 3rd party.

its litterly like the last few weeks of beta they get enabled.
Edited by Shadofall on 6/27/2014 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Part of the early testing experience is... testing the UI!

Generally AddOns haven't been enabled until they've stopped reimplementing everything under the hood and the API's been stabilized. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Blizz to flip that switch, though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What addons have you really got yourself dependent on?

The only think i would really, really miss as a mage is Weak Auras 2.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
06/27/2014 10:10 AMPosted by Kaydeethree

Generally AddOns haven't been enabled until they've stopped reimplementing everything under the hood and the API's been stabilized. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Blizz to flip that switch, though.

It would help if the base wow UI didn't look like stuff at the bottom of a septic tank.

Nearly 10 years and they STILL have no option to see the bags as a single panel and no open all in the mail interface...

Honestly, those two are the main thing I hate not having (since they sent every damn toy to me in the mail), everything else I can work around...
Edited by Nikolatesla on 6/27/2014 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
They need to find out what the problems are in the game without ANY addons first

The addons can cause problems and it is impossible to distinguish which is causing the problem which is why addons aren't allowed till almost release, where at that point the game is stable enough to allow the addons

They never really messed with base UI because they have allowed us to use addons since COSMOS was around, and why change the things that annoy one person that but not another. Why we all have our own addons of choice in game

They do make life easier for us, but we are here to help Blizz and it is nice to have the chance to make intelligent input before game is finalized and released
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
06/27/2014 10:10 AMPosted by Kaydeethree

What KD3 said.

You can't hope to sensibly test addons until the necc. API is done being tweaked, and the UI is fully stable.

Don't expect addons to be enabled until the Beta is much, much further along than this.

Don't get me wrong here, I hate the base UI, and I have my own addons to test, but it does no one any good to throw (likely horribly broken for the beta API) addons into the mix when the API isn't set in stone yet, as it will merely add an element of added confusion to the "what's causing this error/bug/whatever and how can I fix it" cycle.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
As others have said, addons complicate the testing process early on. They can really interfere with bug reports and crash logs. We'll let players know when we're enabling addons, which is likely to be around the time that we're ready to do raid testing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Then for the love of all things please change the bags to open into one giant window.

9½ years and still the same hideous format w/o an addon = eye stabbingly bad. ( or as I like to call it - #1stworldproblems! )

=)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ONE
I am surprised, with as many additions to the game via addon concepts, that clickthrough healing on mouse overs hasn't made it in yet. If they just made it so you could bind mouse clicks to mouseover, or even direct targeting, I wouldn't need any addons to test.
But without that, I now have to learn how to play a healer an entirely different way. That that is a big turn off.
Especially considering I still can't transfer my main <_<
Edited by Metrolol on 6/28/2014 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
06/27/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Zarhym
As others have said, addons complicate the testing process early on. They can really interfere with bug reports and crash logs. We'll let players know when we're enabling addons, which is likely to be around the time that we're ready to do raid testing.

And I understand that, but why haven't a lot of the most popular features that addons fix been incorporated in to the game after nearly 10 years? These are all things other games do now such as all bags as a single window or being able to move every single part of the UI. This would be the perfect time to do so. And if I can write an addon, I know fixing the UI can't be THAT difficult.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
Agreed, the UI needs a complete overhaul but ironically it would probably break too many addons.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
And I understand that, but why haven't a lot of the most popular features that addons fix been incorporated in to the game after nearly 10 years? These are all things other games do now such as all bags as a single window or being able to move every single part of the UI. This would be the perfect time to do so. And if I can write an addon, I know fixing the UI can't be THAT difficult.

Your "Fix" might not be my "Fix" and my "Fix" might not be everybody else's "Fix".

Maybe I don't want all of my bags being one continuous bag?

Maybe I use an addon you wouldn't like (do you always use Archaeology Helper? How about Titan Panel? etc).

To implement a lot of these addons baseline would require an options menu about the length of a standard novel, and would have hundreds of options to turn on/off and it would be a testing nightmare.

That's why they trickle-down UI improvements. This time around, we're getting a Mount Addon built-in and I've already heard there are problems with it.

Do you want the game to be horribly broken for weeks because of hundreds of UI glitches making the game nearly unplayable? I don't.

The base UI isn't that bad. I'll miss Titan Panel, but otherwise.... *shrugs* you're not going to be raiding so you won't need stuff like DBM or Clique or whatever it is people use these days for such things. Surely you can pound out some quests with the base UI. It isn't That hard.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Thank you Zarhym for the clarification!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
06/28/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Dharyna

Your "Fix" might not be my "Fix" and my "Fix" might not be everybody else's "Fix".

Maybe I use an addon you wouldn't like (do you always use Archaeology Helper? How about Titan Panel? etc).

To implement a lot of these addons baseline would require an options menu about the length of a standard novel, and would have hundreds of options to turn on/off and it would be a testing nightmare.

That's why they trickle-down UI improvements. This time around, we're getting a Mount Addon built-in and I've already heard there are problems with it.

Do you want the game to be horribly broken for weeks because of hundreds of UI glitches making the game nearly unplayable? I don't.

The base UI isn't that bad. I'll miss Titan Panel, but otherwise.... *shrugs* you're not going to be raiding so you won't need stuff like DBM or Clique or whatever it is people use these days for such things. Surely you can pound out some quests with the base UI. It isn't That hard.

Instead of being a jerk, you can stop and think. Do you think these would not include the ability to turn them off in the interface? All we want is the option. Other games have this and you turn it on or off as you wish in options. And giving us the ability to move UI items around doesn't affect you in the least, so your argument is invalid. And I am just asking for the most popular things to be implemented, stuff that exists in most other MMOs today.

Why is it when people ask for something, certain types of people on here feel the need to poo-poo on everything they say when it doesn't affect them at all.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Instead of being a jerk, you can stop and think. Do you think these would not include the ability to turn them off in the interface?

Try reading my post. I already explained why this would be a horrible idea. You'd need an options menu the length of a novel for all of the hundreds of things you're proposing we do to the UI.

All we want is the option. Other games have this and you turn it on or off as you wish in options. And giving us the ability to move UI items around doesn't affect you in the least, so your argument is invalid.

It does if said implementation causes the inevitable glitches. Do you think I want a horribly glitched Beta that takes weeks to get it playable? lol

And I am just asking for the most popular things to be implemented, stuff that exists in most other MMOs today.

"Most Popular"? By whose vote, exactly? Is Blizz supposed to hold a poll or something?

Why is it when people ask for something, certain types of people on here feel the need to poo-poo on everything they say when it doesn't affect them at all.

Because it DOES affect us.

Again, implementing this stuff takes time, testing, etc. They trickle-down UI improvements one at a time so that they don't have a huge buggy mess of a UI. They like the UI to be stable, you know? And we're in early Beta, where they're trying to get the basic world and its quests up and running. They don't need hundreds of bug reports coming from the UI end of things when they're trying to get the world itself ironed out.

Picture being a mechanic. You have a car that needs a transmission replaced. Said car also has a faulty fuel gauge (it works, it just reads "Full" all the time regardless of how much gas you have in the car), a heater that doesn't work, and the ABS system has a problem too.

What do you do?

Do you replace the transmission, rip the fuel sending unit out, and try to replace that, tear your breaks apart and fix the ABS system, and then rip the heater core out of your car all at once?

I hope not.

Because when you get everything back together, if something doesn't work then chances are you'll be at a loss as to what exactly is causing the problem because you simply messed with too much crap at once.

Let's say you take the car out, and you feel this odd clunking sound when you slow to a stop. Is it the new transmission or is the ABS system wonky? What happens if you take your newly-fixed car out for a spin and it sputters on the highway and seems to shift in a sluggish way. Did you screw up the Fuel Sending Unit, or did something go wrong in the transmission replacement? What happens if you start the car up and the engine is misfiring horribly? Does it have something to do with what you did with the transmission... did you not get something hooked up right, or maybe you bumped a wire loose when digging to get to the heater core?

If you'd done it the right way... which is replace the transmission first, THEN run the car awhile to make sure everything's working... THEN fix the fuel gauge and make sure that works... and THEN finally fix the heater core... if something goes wrong, then you know exactly where to look because you knew that the car was working before you did anything to it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
06/28/2014 11:29 AMPosted by Nikolatesla
06/28/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Dharyna

Instead of being a jerk, you can stop and think. Do you think these would not include the ability to turn them off in the interface? All we want is the option. Other games have this and you turn it on or off as you wish in options. And giving us the ability to move UI items around doesn't affect you in the least, so your argument is invalid. And I am just asking for the most popular things to be implemented, stuff that exists in most other MMOs today.

If you stopped to think about it why should Blizz change the standard UI at all ?
They allow us to use addons that each individual gets to select for their own preference. So leaving the standard UI as a base is the smartest thing to do because you can't please everyone (one look at forums shows you that)

This is Beta testing and not being able to use the addons all of us are used to effects everyone differently, because people disagree with what you think doesn't mean they are poo pooing but trying to make you understand that if this is such a PITA that you are unable to play and help out in the testing ----- maybe just go back to regular game where all your addons function. This topic was also in another forum where obviously the sympathy you thought would be forthcoming did not happen

Eventually they will allow us addons ------- until that point enjoy being selected to help out, I'm sure there are people that didn't get invites that would love to get one
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]