Which Resto?

90 Human Paladin
I either want to play a resto Druid or shammy but not sure which one. I don't have much play time as a healer the only healing I have done is with a mistweaver and I am not a fan. I don't like the whole fistweaving thing. With that said I want to play a healer that does not have to worry about dps or being in melee range I want to be more of a caster and ranged healer. So which resto is best for that also I have never played either class so I don't know which is more fun. I want it to be a high teir rading healer once leveled up. Thanks for any advice and input you have. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Raided top end content with both. As of which is more fun I enjoy raiding/playing my resto druid over my resto sham!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/27/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Actavis
Raided top end content with both. As of which is more fun I enjoy raiding/playing my resto druid over my resto sham!

Are they both ranged heals that don't have to worry about any kind of dpsing? I want to play a healer that is far different from what I have played of mistweaving
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
06/27/2014 10:24 AMPosted by Wardroy
Are they both ranged heals that don't have to worry about any kind of dpsing? I want to play a healer that is far different from what I have played of mistweaving

Only disc priests dps to heal, and they do it from ranged. And just to clarify mistweavers don't dps to heal all the time or even most of the time. Only on content you overgear/overheal or during periods of lighter damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Given your criteria both are about equal.

I'll start with what can each do for damage. Yes, I know you don't want to but if you're called on to do it it's good to know what you're getting into.

For normal and below and even groups that start heroic late I doubt most would really care about damage done from either although that extra bit of damage will still benefit the group.

Of course given a sufficiently progression minded group every bit of damage done counts. It's harder to move away from that as you go up. You won't be expected to put out a lot of damage obviously but some of the higher end groups would rather a healer do any amount of damage than over heal more. Ask Sensations for more detail here. ;)

A resto druid can go kitty and pew pew (mew mew?) for decentish damage but it's obviously melee and you wouldn't do that in a raid since unlike a mist weaver you're still classified as ranged.

Both would need to swap specs to do good damage although druids have the option of using Heart of the Wild (level 90 talent) every 6 minutes for 45 seconds to do some decent damage.

For damage shamans can chunk lightning bolts for some unimpressive damage and can give out Stormlash Totem, Searing Totem (snerk) and if you don't need it for the lvl 90 talent Fire Elemental. The totems though are more fire and forget rather than needing to maintain a dps rotation. Stormlash, Purge and Bloodlust even lets you pretend you're a Support class! :)

For the healing both drop circles and expect people to stand in them and both have some nice CDs. Druids are more hotty although right now shaman have a fair number of hots too. For the shaman though their hots are far less individually targeted like healing rain and healing stream totem.

Both can shape shift to move faster, ghost wolf vs kitty dash.

Which one's more fun? That one's really a matter of personal preference.

Disclaimer on personal experience:
I mained a resto shaman from Vanilla up until mid Wrath when I swapped to a prot paladin but still healed a fair amount for alt runs and the like. I went shaman again in Cata with my pally tanking alts runs and the like. By MoP I went monk. Oh, sometime between cata and MoP I was a holy pally for a while. Druid? I leveled a troll druid to 85 because of bat form. That's about it.

Both are very much different from mist weaving. The damage either one can contribute is a tiny fraction of a MW's. Also healing is quite a bit different as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/27/2014 10:32 AMPosted by Kipery
Given your criteria both are about equal.

I'll start with what can each do for damage. Yes, I know you don't want to but if you're called on to do it it's good to know what you're getting into.

For normal and below and even groups that start heroic late I doubt most would really care about damage done from either although that extra bit of damage will still benefit the group.

Of course given a sufficiently progression minded group every bit of damage done counts. It's harder to move away from that as you go up. You won't be expected to put out a lot of damage obviously but some of the higher end groups would rather a healer do any amount of damage than over heal more. Ask Sensations for more detail here. ;)

A resto druid can go kitty and pew pew (mew mew?) for decentish damage but it's obviously melee and you wouldn't do that in a raid since unlike a mist weaver you're still classified as ranged.

Both would need to swap specs to do good damage although druids have the option of using Heart of the Wild (level 90 talent) every 6 minutes for 45 seconds to do some decent damage.

For damage shamans can chunk lightning bolts for some unimpressive damage and can give out Stormlash Totem, Searing Totem (snerk) and if you don't need it for the lvl 90 talent Fire Elemental. The totems though are more fire and forget rather than needing to maintain a dps rotation. Stormlash, Purge and Bloodlust even lets you pretend you're a Support class! :)

For the healing both drop circles and expect people to stand in them and both have some nice CDs. Druids are more hotty although right now shaman have a fair number of hots too. For the shaman though their hots are far less individually targeted like healing rain and healing stream totem.

Both can shape shift to move faster, ghost wolf vs kitty dash.

Which one's more fun? That one's really a matter of personal preference.

Disclaimer on personal experience:
I mained a resto shaman from Vanilla up until mid Wrath when I swapped to a prot paladin but still healed a fair amount for alt runs and the like. I went shaman again in Cata with my pally tanking alts runs and the like. By MoP I went monk. Oh, sometime between cata and MoP I was a holy pally for a while. Druid? I leveled a troll druid to 85 because of bat form. That's about it.

Both are very much different from mist weaving. The damage either one can contribute is a tiny fraction of a MW's. Also healing is quite a bit different as well.

Tyvm great info, I know doing some dps in raids is needed at time like you said I don't mind doing that I just do not want to have to do the kind of dps mistweavers need to do while fistweaving. Now I guess the rest is up to me I have played both classes to level 10 now I need to figure out which one I want to play to 90 :)
Reply Quote
I have played both Shaman and Druid and I say they are both really good, but I say shamans are more "easier" to play than druids since you'd just have to drop healing totems and spam Chain Heal. IF you want more of a challenge play a druid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I boosted my shammy recently and absolutely love resto sham... Druids don't have an on demand AoE heal aside from WG which is on a CD, though the hot lasts for about as long the CD is for. They use Wild Growth and rejuv / shrooms for their AoE healing, while Shamans have their Healing rain and Chain heal with free hots from earthliving and some greater heals mixed in. Rshaman is extremely responsive and have big strong heals and free hots! :3 /fangirl
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
06/28/2014 09:42 AMPosted by Siomi
I boosted my shammy recently and absolutely love resto sham... Druids don't have an on demand AoE heal aside from WG which is on a CD, though the hot lasts for about as long the CD is for. They use Wild Growth and rejuv / shrooms for their AoE healing, while Shamans have their Healing rain and Chain heal with free hots from earthliving and some greater heals mixed in. Rshaman is extremely responsive and have big strong heals and free hots! :3 /fangirl

Efflorescence is tied to mushroom with a glyph now and becomes baseline in WoD. It's basically exactly the same as healing rain with the added bonus of being able to blow it up for a burst AOE heal.

WG doesn't last "about as long" as it's cooldown, it lasts exactly as long.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Safe bet is probably a druid. You're going to have more control over who you're actually healing.

I think there's a decent chance that shaman are going to be pretty heavily penalized (ie screwed by RNG) by smart healing going dumb and no real mechanical changes to how we heal (so far) going into WoD.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
06/28/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Moogician

Efflorescence is tied to mushroom with a glyph now and becomes baseline in WoD. It's basically exactly the same as healing rain with the added bonus of being able to blow it up for a burst AOE heal.

Last time I heard, they had removed the detonation aspect completely on the beta. I think it's purely a ground heal now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
Someone asked this like a day ago. This was my response

Shamans have greater raid utility and have proximity dependent aoe healing (Healing Rain, Chain Heal)
Druids have strong raid healing and aren't shackled to cast times, or proximity (except for Efflorescence)

Shamans are the best throughput healers for 25m
Druids are the best throughput healers for 10m

Shamans have a lot of raid wide CDs but lack personal defensives
Druids have only Tranq, but a plethora of personal defensives

Both are better than Holy Priests and Mistweavers
Both lose to Disc Priests in a variety of fights
Both have increased mobility
Both have relatively low spirit requirements

With all that said. I prefer Druid more.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
As a resto druid main who just started playing resto shaman I think many people who will enjoy one also enjoy the other (I think as a more general statement many people who enjoy healing enjoy healing but....... my point stands) despite them not really being mechanically similar at all.

I think Shamans have the coolest healing cooldowns in the game. It's not just good utility and good throughput cooldowns (which they are, but!) They're simply.. awesome. Go into a dungeon and let people get a bit low.. Then pop ascendance, and watch the WTF moment when a single chain heal heals basically 5 people from 5% to full. (which is apparently changing for Warlords but the cooldown is still awesome)

Spirit Link Totem is probably the single most versatile and unique tank cooldown from all classes - not like other ones aren't good, Spirit link totem is just.. truly unique (compared to other cds in the game).

Add to that interrupting, hexing, purging... Shamans have a lot of small utility jobs to do.

Druids on the other hand are, I think, a lot more traditional "healers", with the small twist that they're HoT based. Druids don't have many cooldowns (although it's hard to say that it's not satisfying to pop tranquility and watch your hps jump to like, 400k or something.) but they definitely have the toolkit to deal with every sitation. They're also a lot more mobile than shamans, they have a lot of instant casts and you could basically do around 90% of your normal healing on the move (it doesn't mean you don't have to stand in place sometimes to cast, but not often!)

In the end, what it boils down to is a utility hard caster versus a healer HoT mobile caster. (In my opinion, at least)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
06/28/2014 02:35 PMPosted by Andrasté
Druids have only Tranq, but a plethora of personal defensives

NV and Shroom Bloom are raid cooldowns when used properly. (Probably significantly less so in 25m than 10 for NV)

I would still consider these a significant throughput boost or a flat raid cd. Anyone that says Bloom isnt a raid cd is lying.

(With Bloom sadly being removed in WoD....granted it was way too strong in 10m.)
Edited by Tonydanza on 6/29/2014 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So sad that shroom boom is gone in WoD, but IMO I would try out both to see what you like better mechanically if possible. Both are decent classes druids are able to cast on the move more, but shamens have far more utility.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The thing I dislike about my shaman is how much the totems are worth now !

Maybe in raiding you can take the talent that does more with your healing rain or something I dunno.

But even tho I did well in rbgs, I found the shammy talent tree boring and I found healing totems boring.

I like the druid and I like my priest even more.

My 2c
Edited by Lieshtmeiser on 7/5/2014 4:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Do you like to jump constantly? Druid.
Do you like to see huge green numbers? Shaman.
Reply Quote
Both are my main toons, and that being said I'd have to give it to the mobile druid(shapeshifting and personals just add on to that:p). I really enjoy playing both. Do you want a caster burst healer or a mobile heals. They are both very strong now, shamans being a bit ahead, and both looking to be very solid for wod! Although let's take a moment for the loss of our shroom boom.... :(
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
06/28/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Moogician

Healing rain heals everyone in the circle whereas Efflo only heals 3 people. I recently boosted my Shamman to 90 as well. There are lot of similar aspects to both. Both of them are fun to heal with.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Druids are the best throughput healers for 10m

Not even close. Druids may be able to snipe better than shamans in 10m if you're not all stacked, but they don't touch Shamans in terms of raw throughput in 10m.
Edited by Sensations on 7/7/2014 8:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]