Holy Priests and PVE

100 Night Elf Priest
06/27/2014 05:58 PMPosted by Sengis
When there's a disc priest around, there's less PERCEIVED damage (the damage is still there, it's just being healed before it's dealt), so this leaves people with the impression that disc is stronger. Disc is the PERCEIVED stronger healer when, in actuality, holy is just as strong.

I think there is certainly a certain amount of this. Additionally the current iteration of the lvl 90 talents and the way that interacts with DA is pretty big . the discrepancy is greatly reduced in 10's simply due to having fewer targets. Relative strength of a healer is also going to depend largely on the amount of damage your raid is taking. Disc is balanced around the power of the absorbs we bring and if we run out, there are far fewer options to get health bars filled back up.
Reply Quote
06/27/2014 04:17 PMPosted by Sensations
Holy Priests get sniped in healing by every other healing spec except Mistweaver.

Dictating if a healer is good or bad based on snipe potential is foolish.

I think you may have misunderstood. A spec that is able to snipe better will look "better" on the healing meters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's not that holy is bad. It's that the absorbs offered from disc are almost too good to pass up.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Don't do it, you will end up hating yourself especially if your raid already has a Disc Priest.

Holy's viable, it's just not a very fun spec to play atm.
Edited by Rethly on 6/28/2014 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Priest
that I should just go Disc, but is it actually the case? I like my Holy Priest as it is [...]

It'll also complicate things because I need my Holy spec for PVP as well and I don't wanna get rid of Shadow.

Do you want to enjoy this game or make it more like a chore ? Stay Holy and forget about what you "should" do.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
For what it's worth my guild cleared normal 10 man SoO with two holy priests. I never felt that healing was holding us back on any of the fights we got stuck on. I suspect that the difference between the best and worst healing specs currently is really relatively minor and won't matter to most folks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
There's nothing wrong with Holy Priest, they can bring in some rightous raw healing. Play the spec you want and let the dps and tanks show how dumb they are when it comes to healing.

I'd rather have a skilled lower ilvl holy priest than a derpy high ilvl disc.
Edited by Blitziel on 7/3/2014 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
For a while, when i couldn't decide if i wanted to heal on my Priest or not, i was Holy and Shadow... it worked nicely, because they have a similar stat priority. I didn't like Shadow as much as i thought i would, so dropped it for Disc. Re-gemmed/reforged... and my Healing absolutely smashed anything i had been doing as Holy. So, i've gone another step and dropped Holy for Shadow, but play Disc about 80% of the time now.

My guild keeps wanting me to bring my Priest instead of my Pally :(

But, i keep bringing my Paladin because i like it more... and everyone lives... and that's the point! So, as long as you like what you play, and you can keep people alive to the best of your ability, play what you want!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
Overall no healer is bad right now. It's just when we start looking comparatively at Holy vs Disc it starts to look less desirable. I prefer Holy and believe firmly if you want to play it you should play it. It's a good spec and will get you wherever you need to go.

On the PvP thing. Holy is gaining a lot of recognition in PvP and is finally being seen as the amazing spec it is for it. So it will work for both PvP and PvE for you.

And if you need a confidence boost for your Holy-ness. Just go heal HM Malkorok and then link everyone the meters and logs. = )

[Side note.... Don't do HM Malkorok with a MW, particularly in 25m...]
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
TBH the holy PvP thing isn't so much because Holy is suddenly good for it, it's more because disc took a bunch of nerfbat whacks and they finally did something about holy's survivability, which was utter garbage before they gave us Disc's Focused Will passive.

If they hadn't given us focused will, Holy would still be the ghost spec in PvP, even with all the disc nerfs.
Edited by Ticktacktick on 7/4/2014 6:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I disagree with the comment about Galakras being good for Holy.
Disc/Shaman/Pally still dominates that fight. We 3-4 heal it on 25man, me and the Hpriest are still at the bottom >.<

We 3 heal it on 10 man, my co-healers being 2, thats right, go ahead and cry, 2 disc priests. All I do until he's brought down is interrupt bone crushers and shaman. The only healing needed from me is my efflo.

To be fair though I still top it at the end, because as a druid I can heal for huge numbers during the end part. My group takes a LOT of damage then.

3 healing galakras? how !@#$ing boring.

There is no argument that disc is the better spec this expansion holy has a wide range of problems. Chakra is is constrained by it's CD a good holy priest has to stance dance which is !@#$. PW:Sanctuary sans T16 4 set is %^-*. The big thing a lot of people and healers don't understand is that holy is absolutely crap when content is overhealed and there's no dmg going out which is further exacerbated by smart healing and absorbs. But there is a place for holy in SoO.
Edited by Lìfendeath on 7/4/2014 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Do you LIKE Disc? Do NOT play a spec that is "stronger" play the one you LIKE. Unless we go back to vanilla where specs are utterly useless (Ironically Disc) everything is viable. Also disc is going to get nerfed in WoD, so I suggest you wait and see how that turns out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
DNA
07/04/2014 08:49 AMPosted by Lìfendeath
Chakra is is constrained by it's CD a good holy priest has to stance dance which is !@#$. PW:Sanctuary sans T16 4 set is %^-*. The big thing a lot of people and healers don't understand is that holy is absolutely crap when content is overhealed and there's no dmg going out which is further exacerbated by smart healing and absorbs. But there is a place for holy in SoO.

The thing is, for the most part, there is absolutely no need to overheal content now. There can be made a case for H Jug & Thok, but other than that bringing 3 healers (10M) is a waste of a dps and it's absolutely boring to heal in any other fight.

I also think too many people overestimate the requirements of stance dancing. The majority of the fights in SoO have intervals of time in which one stance will be enough to last through that time period; you aren't required to constantly shift stances sub 30 seconds. Although, this is still a huge unneeded constraint which is why it is being corrected in WoD.

The whole Disc vs Holy argument only had relevance to top end raiding guilds. Sure, guilds progressing will want a disc priest over holy, but if the holy priest knows what they are doing there is no issue keeping the raid alive.
Edited by Amunre on 7/13/2014 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
[I can't quote on my phone, so this is for the people who quoted me]

I understand your points and I agree for an extent. But I think holy is more than capable from healing any encounter, no matter how absurd absorbs are. Unless you are aiming for top guilds - and even then, it's debatable - if your RL asks you to go disc instead of holy, for survivability issues...they are probably the ones with the problem.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Speaking as a Tank, I really don't care what is healing me as long as my face isn't going splat. Play what you want, I actually prefer taking damage and seeing my health drop a bit because it feels like I'm doing my job. Probably not something a tank should say, lol. If I see a big drop, I know I'm doing something wrong, and if I only see little drops, I know I am doing it right, if I see no drops, BY THE LIGHT WHAT IS HAPPENING.
Edited by Rokukage on 7/14/2014 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
meh.. I lose the meters to other classes on fights that we win only because my insane holy burst saves wipes.. I'll stay #3 till the end of time in the interest of FUN. My god, disc is mindless.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
06/26/2014 09:05 PMPosted by Lennadia
Holy Priests get sniped in healing by every other healing spec except Mistweaver.

When pve degenerates to the point of whos sniping who...then you know the game is no longer about class balance...its just about all heals and absorbs being so powerful that its like a bone being thrown into a pack of hungry dogs.

Blizz know this, the issue has been discussed to death...nothing new here.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Don't worry, Holy is OBSCENELY overpowered on the Beta. Patience for the New World Order.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
druids look pretty strong so far on the beta too, andromeda. and by pretty i mean... well, i'm sure you've seen the raid logs. wont know about level 100 until they start testing raids at that level.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
07/17/2014 07:44 AMPosted by Eleäzaras
Don't worry, Holy is OBSCENELY overpowered on the Beta. Patience for the New World Order.

you are adorable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]