558 Resto Shaman stat questions

I have been questioning my output in 10man normals and i have been thinking it could be my stats.

Currently, I'm looking to two heal 10man SoO with a disc priest. I have talked and researched quite a bit of this already so I know a general sense of what i should be looking for with stats.

Currently im running 9100 haste (for the HsT tick because of its latency issues).
12.5K+ spirit,
~50% mastery
and dumping the rest into crit..

I was wondering if a shaman of my ilvl should be using less haste and more crit for 10 mans? Im kind of lost and confused like a little puppy..

Any advice or other links to help me would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Well... at first I thought you didn't have the legendary quest done, but then I saw you are wearing the cape..... so why aren't you using the legendary meta gem? It's so important and really devalues spirit.
Your bracer enchant should be intellect, not mastery, and your gemming seems wrong. Purified gems are only used if the user is stacking spirit or intellect, neither of which should be the case (with the exception of int jc gems). You should start using Smooth gems (pure crit) and love them. Also, your ring bonuses are definitely not worth gemming for, just stick 2 Smooth gems in both of those (you'll still get the bonus from one of them).
And crit/spirit in good blue sockets.

Gem, reforge, and enchant your boots.

The stat priority you described seems fine, 9100 is a good bp. You just need to fix how you are actually gemming, and further throughput issues are likely spell choice/cd related.

edit: Also you should be using the Primal Elementalist t90 talent, using the empower/reinforce buff on yourself.
Edited by Piamette on 7/2/2014 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for your feedback, kind sir.

I have took your advice and did some changes to my gear. Currently looking to hop into a flex group and see results.

P.S. any other feedback still appreciated :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If you have logs it'll be easier to give you feed back on what you're doing during encounters. Otherwise Piamette hit on pretty much everything.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only things I'm seeing that Piamette missed are as follows;

There is no Mastery soft cap at 50%. Mastery is just as valuable at 51% as it is at 40%, 50%, 25%, or 73%. (Just picking random numbers here)

Glyph of Riptide is a throughput loss. Don't use it. The only exception is Thok, and then only if your haste is too low to cast other spells.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I might have my stats incorrect but I run spirit 12k>haste 42.99%>crit. I usually reforge out of mastery if possible because with the current state of healing most health pools dont get low enough to take full advantage of our mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/03/2014 10:28 AMPosted by Chrysanthius
The only things I'm seeing that Piamette missed are as follows;

There is no Mastery soft cap at 50%. Mastery is just as valuable at 51% as it is at 40%, 50%, 25%, or 73%. (Just picking random numbers here)

Glyph of Riptide is a throughput loss. Don't use it. The only exception is Thok, and then only if your haste is too low to cast other spells.

Yeah, the Mastery thing is something I thought of but did neglect to mention due to focusing on everything else.

I'm not so sure I agree with you regarding glyph of Riptide, but it's definitely not a universal glyph. I have read mixed things regarding it. Pretty sure a lot of shamans use it on Malk tho.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
07/03/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Piamette
Pretty sure a lot of shamans use it on Malk tho.

Using it on Malk is basically padding imo. On normal it doesn't matter too much, but on heroic the majority of the damage that is dangerous requires shields to be burst back up so people don't die if they hit an orb. Slow healing the shields with HoTs can be handled better by pretty much every other class and spending the majority of your time casting Riptide instead of focusing on burst healing low shields can be detrimental to the raid. I could see it being useful in 10 man if your are healing with a Disc Priests, you'd just have to be careful to not tunnel into spamming Riptide.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I've tried the glyph on H Malk and the difference was a bit of a wash. It has some better synergy if you were to take AG just for shield build up in burst as HR + spread RTs give a lot of AG healing. However I found it to be more of a mana hog and found it more comfortable and better to use Chaining and TC glyphs for that fight.

The difference isnt that big, though, so it's a big YMMV thing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I refuse to use the riptide glyph on any fight. If I enjoyed that play style then I would play a resto druid.

regarding mastery you can't just say Mastery is just as valuable at X value as it is at Y value. It's value is really determined by five factors

Raid Size
    # of Healers and Comp
    Encounter Design
    If your raid screws up
    If you are Sensations

It can certainly be efficient, especially at lower gear levels healing content that you don't outgear

Personally from a 25m perspective and somewhat limited 10m experience I find the Mastery and or pure crit builds to be much slower paced and less engaging than a high haste build. It's also pretty much irrelevant for 25m raiding if you are trying to achieve maximum throughput. That's not to say that I haven't seen other 25m Shaman that have used a high mastery build for progression with some success.

Few of the best shaman are running mastery, most are running a combination of crit/haste builds exception always being Sensations.

I prefer high haste builds at higher ilvls >crit>int>mastery
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
07/03/2014 12:18 PMPosted by Naxe
If you are Sensations

Why is this listed last?! :p

I think what he was refering to is the false notion some people have that Deep Healing has some sort of Diminishing returns based on how many people speak of the inexistant "50% mastery soft cap". If you heal a target at 50% hp, then getting extra mastery is equally efficient whether you are at 50%, 70% or 90% because the stat does not suffer any real DR like, say, avoidance stats do.

Note I refer to this in terms of absolute mastery rating benefits. That is, 500 mastery nets the same increase of DH whether you're at 50% or 70% mastery. In terms of relative gain it is different, of course, as going from 50% to 55% mastery is a higher increase than from 75% to 80%, but that also happens with Crit and Haste.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I think by value he meant point for point the increase Mastery provides to throughput scales linearly. Since he was referring to a Mastery soft cap which would imply the value of Mastery decreases beyond a certain %, which it doesn't. Poor choice of words in guessing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Naxe to the information rescue!!

Also yeah replying to stuff pre-coffee is a bad idea for me. I don't agree with the entirety of the mastery post I quoted, I just don't believe it's worth seeking out a certain amount, at least when it's your lowest priority stat.
07/03/2014 12:11 PMPosted by Korgie
I've tried the glyph on H Malk and the difference was a bit of a wash. It has some better synergy if you were to take AG

Ahh I did in fact use AG when healing HMalk (and any other type of Malk) on my Shaman. My inguild mentor at the time advised this, but clearly it's not a must. It's certainly viable there, however.
Mana isn't really an issue tho. TC? Not even once.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
07/03/2014 12:31 PMPosted by Piamette
Ahh I did in fact use AG when healing HMalk (and any other type of Malk) on my Shaman. My inguild mentor at the time advised this, but clearly it's not a must. It's certainly viable there, however.

I used it mostly for shield build up quickly on pull and after bloodrage as the 2 min CD let me have it up right as the miasma comes back up, but is by no means necessary. I also tried using it on CD to maximize it and was ok, but I still felt I did overall more with RS.

07/03/2014 12:31 PMPosted by Piamette
Mana isn't really an issue tho. TC? Not even once.

Chaining leaves me with the empty 2 seconds in between CH and I sometimes find everything else on CD @_@
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
07/03/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Korgie
Chaining leaves me with the empty 2 seconds in between CH and I sometimes find everything else on CD @_@

Healing Surge.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]