Easiest healer

90 Undead Monk
What is generally considered to be the easiest healer to play? I've healed while leveling as all but mw and holy priest, I refuse to play a priest as holy.
I haven't healed at max level since ICC as an hpal, which was incredibly easy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
They are all easy to play. They are all hard to master.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
06/29/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Harpoa
They are all easy to play. They are all hard to master.

That said, what are you planning to heal in? PvP? 10m raiding? 25m raiding? Dungeons? LFR? It all really depends on what you're planning to do.

All that aside, resto druids are quite easy to play and gear. They are also a lot of fun. Outside of serious raiding and pvp disc is extremely easy to play.

My advice? It's all a matter of opinion and you should really play whatever seems most fun to you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Warlock or blood dk
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Personally I think resto druids, but apparently people think it's priests in a recent poll on mmo-champion.

That divine star spam. Those people will have a little surprise in WOD lol.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
06/30/2014 12:27 AMPosted by Macphisto
Personally I think resto druids, but apparently people think it's priests in a recent poll on mmo-champion.

I'd say Disc are easier as long as you have a good idea of spells and talents (and glyphs I guess but that's pretty much "don't use glyph of pw:s SERIOUSLY STOP USING IT"). As in, they are easier to do really well on even if you're not even playing very well, and they have less mana issues than some other healers.

However, it's really hard to get Resto Druid "wrong." Nowadays most bad resto druids I see are those who do not use the Efflo glyph. It's pretty rare that I see a Resto Druid who just doesn't understand that Rejuv and WG are their friends, but it.. does happen.
I pretty much constantly see disc priests whose concept of spell priority is unbelievably far from wrong, and their glyphs/spec are damaging them. (Cascade on everything??? why do you not love yourself??????)
With RDruid there are of course some choices that are better than others, but nothing really comes close to foot-shooting as lack of Efflo glyph.

That said, even with a good grasp of RDruid concepts, it's harder to do well from a competitive perspective.
Edited by Piamette on 6/30/2014 1:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think it's important to note that out of all healers resto druids (and mistweaver monks, too, but that's... not relevant to this discussion I think because no one really thinks they're easiest) are the ones that require least planning ahead for movement phases. I mean a lot of other healers have to line up cooldowns, gather up secondary resources, save instants, etc... whereas druids just run around and are like, lolololol.

They also have a lot less CDs to manage than, say, a shaman or a pally.

Still, every healer requires a lot of attention. I mean, it really is hard to go terribly wrong on resto druid except for lack of glyph of efflo; but true understanding of the spec and good play definitely takes more than "not going terribly wrong".
Reply Quote
71 Undead Hunter
Disc Priests are the easiest currently, by like a mile. I honestly feel I could macro/bot a disc priest to success in a raid so long as I had some sort of follow setup on myself to drag him around with me.

Basic game play includes spamming smite, continuing to spam smite, and then later spamming smite some more. BUT WAIT THERES MORE! You also get to cast penance and divine star from time to time for maximum through put! You have power word shield which you can give to a tank once in awhile if you feel like it. Technically you can setup spirit shell blankets before large AoE damage, but you don't really have to (but its really nice).

I am pretty sure if you were just interested in LFR you could literally cast no other spell but smite the entire run and end up doing well.

Basically there is no need to watch health bars, there is no need to triage, Attonement will carry you through by spamming your main dps abilities. Every other healer needs to look at health bars, they need to be casting heals at different targets or at the worst spamming smart heals on targets, none of them can come close to the one spell performance of a disc priest.

So for me, my vote easily goes to Disc Priest as the easiest.

On a different subject one of my favorite things about playing a healer is that its fluid and changes. You can run the exact same content 5 times and each time you will play differently. You might save some cooldowns for the same parts of a fight but on the large scale some people will get hurt more or less, some will stand in fire longer or avoid it. Instead of reacting to NPC's like everyone else the healer is reacting to players reacting to NPC's this adds more to a healers gameplay than dps which is pretty static and can often feel like playing a glorified flowchart of button combos.

To that end I am going to say while I feel disc priests are the easist I don't see them as "true" healers. Certainly they heal the raid and keep it in fighting shape but they don't play like any other healer. Grab ANYTHING else be it a Pally, a Holy Priest, a Druid or Shaman. Probably just avoid monks as they are easily the hardest but just grab a "real" healer and go from there. I'd personally suggest shaman, it has an interesting variety of heals, unique healing mechanics, no secondary resources (aka slightly easier) and if you don't like it you can also just gear up for melee dps or ranged dps suiting your flavor.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Disc Priests are the easiest currently, by like a mile.

Depends. People assume because disc priest are the "best" healer they're the easiest, and while it may be true a medium can be met fairly easy, I don't see disc priest being easier than any other healer in terms of a ceiling. Every healer has something about it that will differentiate one player from another.

There is no hardest healer or easiest healer, because there will always be someone better than you at that class, and until you master it, it doesn't really matter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i think different people are good at different things, and that is also a factor. the amount of time you spend on a class / role will also impact it's perceived 'easiness.'

i find my disc priest incredibly easy to play, but i know enough from reading things people post on this forum that i am not playing it to its full potential. does my group succeed? sure. but i know that theres a few more levels of complexity that i am not reaching for that make the class harder. ditto with holy paladin. it's easy but there's a lot more to the class that i am not taking advantage of in my lfr/flex/cm adventures.

it's common for people to say druid is easy but you'd be surprised how many druid logs i see where harmony uptime is poop, lifebloom isnt up, procs arent used, cooldowns ignored, etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Personally I interpret threads like this to mean which healer is the easiest to pick up and be decent at fairly quickly.
Anyone who claims it's easy to master a class and play it close to its maximum potential is being silly. I don't think anyone here is doing that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
They're all fairly easy to pick up. The biggest thing when looking for a healer should be playstyle, but that's not truly looking for the "difficulty" of a healer to pickup. These threads are always hard to interpret tbh, cause they're full of vague needs and nothing is ever specific.

Some people will find an easier with a priest, some a druid, some a shaman, some a monk, some a paladin. So simply asking "What's the easiest healer" is an extremely vague question, even if they asked "easiest healer to pickup."

Honestly best advice "we" can give the OP is to read the sticky and find what he feels would suit him.
Edited by Sensations on 6/30/2014 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Undead Hunter
06/30/2014 04:24 PMPosted by Sensations
Disc Priests are the easiest currently, by like a mile.

Depends. People assume because disc priest are the "best" healer they're the easiest, and while it may be true a medium can be met fairly easy, I don't see disc priest being easier than any other healer in terms of a ceiling.

I don't consider disc priests the best, and what is "best" is based on the content and balance changes of the time. Right now maybe disc priests are the best, maybe they are not but its not relevant, its not about whats best but about whats easiest.

Almost all of disc priest healing is smart healing, this means you don't have to look at health bars, this means you don't have to triage. This is all done for you by the class, this makes it easier than every other healer in a very concrete way. You can argue about skill ceilings or whatever but end of the day if you had 30minutes to teach someone to heal in an LFR and they have never played WoW before which healer do you think they would be most successful with? To me its not contest that its disc because you can basically talk about 3 abilities and have them preform decently.
Smite as your primary tool, Penance to pump more damage, Divine Star for big AoE. Like thats it and they will preform solidly even if they had never played WoW before, even if they have never played a healer before.

Can you say the same for ANY other healer? Monks and H-Paly both have alternate resources to manage and work with, they have abilities that basically need to be used on CD. They need to triage and watch health bars, they have positional requirements and spell orders and combos JUST TO FUNCTION. H-Priest, Druid, and Shaman don't have secondary resources but they still need to triage, they still have many situational spells they "need", arguably shaman and druid have some leeway and you can go "its lfr just use these 3 or so AoE heals often" but its still going to have issues.

I have no idea how you cannot see that disc priest is the easiest, its a single resource class that doesn't have to triage or really watch health bars, regardless of AoE or single target they basically do the same thing. Yes you can watch healthbars, make sure to penance tanks, intelligently use shields, spirit shell telegraphed aoe damage, and so on. But at the same time to get through a dungeon or play through an LFR you don't need most of that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
you're going to have to use less time than 30 minutes as an example. maybe if you gave them 2 minutes to explain.

07/01/2014 08:18 AMPosted by Zoinks
positional requirements

priests, paladins, monks definitely have these. if you count healing rain and efflo placement, so do shamans and druids. ok that's everyone. if you tell someone "use divine star for big damage" i can almost guarantee you a learning player will get it wrong. in lfr divine star might not always be the best choice in scenarios where it would be on normal or heroic because you simply can't count on people to know the strats and stack where they're supposed to or clump in larger numbers either.
Edited by Tsilyi on 7/1/2014 8:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/01/2014 08:20 AMPosted by Tsilyi
you're going to have to use less time than 30 minutes as an example. maybe if you gave them 2 minutes to explain.

Unless I am completely missing some other point, this heavily depends on how much faith you have in an individual, as well as their UI's capabilities (sending/explaining weak auras for example could definitely take up quite a chunk of that), and lastly your ability to describe things quickly (which personally I do not).
30 minutes is a reasonable estimate I think, especially considering we're discussing some stupid hypothetical situation in which we're teaching someone who knows nothing about healing on the fly how to play a particular class. Not someone like you or me.

The only thing I really have an issue with is this:
Almost all of disc priest healing is smart healing

Almost all of any spec's healing right now is smart healing.
Edited by Piamette on 7/1/2014 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Undead Hunter
07/01/2014 08:29 AMPosted by Piamette

Almost all of disc priest healing is smart healing

Almost all of any spec's healing right now is smart healing.

Yes and no. What I ment more than anything is that they don't have to swap targets at all. Paladins need to target various allies for various heals with a few exceptions. Monks need to target various targets both raid members and enemies. Druids need to target all sorts of raid members, as does almost every class.

My point was that you can literally go "alright heres what you are going to do, click the big bad monster, keep pressing the smite button if you see lots of people get hurt try to use divine star to hit as many people as you can" and then go into details about how to divine star, how to target, etc.
Yes disc priests will target raid members, but its nowhere near to the extent as every other healer. Remember even if disc has "finer points" the bulk of a disc priests time in a raid will be spent casting smite on the boss, repeatedly.

Yes smart heals are everywhere, but more than anything my point was about targeting and interaction with multiple targets. Basically 75%+ of a disc priests kit (and there most used options) require nothing more than attacking the boss, sure you can penance tanks, use shield, and setup spirit shell but those are cooldowns and not something done ALL THE TIME.
Compare that to say Paladin. They have "normal" single target heals which will get used, they have holy shock which is basically used on cooldown, they have Sacred Shield/EF spamming, all of these things the "core" of there kit is based around targeting things, about picking which target is the best to used it on based on whose hurt. Then you also have the transition to AoE healing with completely different spells which also require some targeting aswell. Compare that to Disc Priests, the amount of thought and input a player has to use between these two are night and day and its not like paladins are some sort of "hard" option or anything. I haven't even mentioned having holy power/secondary resources for this either yet.

Do you not see the difference I am talking about? Perhaps I wasn't expansive enough on my explanation the first time around.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
isn't SH paladin basically a rotation? i'm guessing that on the lfr level your average paladin who has been coached for 30 minutes should be able to play with minimal "normal single target heals". priests also should be targetting PoM effectively and even at the lfr level they should be using more than atonement and 90 talent. in my time doing lfr with other characters, i've seen as many if not more clueless or bad disc priests as any other spec.

the amount of coaching required to get any player up to speed on healing in lfr outside of MAYBE monk, can be done in 15 minutes. virtually any other healer is pretty simple to learn to play at an lfr level, without weakauras or tracking much of anything aside from ability cooldowns and resources (in the case of holy paladin).

also, EF isn't spammed and SS should probably just never be used. as far as transitioning to aoe... you should be using your holy power on EF if you spec EF or LotD if you spec SH. That's just what you do, especially in lfr where there is so little healing anyway. there's hardly any situation where you want to waste hopo on WoG over LotD.

so yes. almost every healer and most of all healing is smart healing. the vast majority of each healer's toolkit is smart healing.
Edited by Tsilyi on 7/1/2014 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Undead Hunter
...stuff about h-paladin...

so yes. almost every healer and most of all healing is smart healing. the vast majority of each healer's toolkit is smart healing.

You are overlooking my entire point, sure you use LoD as your main holy power spender but again its a secondary resource. To build that resource requires other spells which are targeted and should be triaged such as holy shock, certain heals on your bacon, and other things aswell.
The entire point is that there is more going on, there are spells to use on CD, there are spells to use situationally, and there are different healing from AoE and single target.

Disc priests don't have that (at a basic level). They don't triage, at all, they just pew pew and magic smart heals take care of everything.

How is it so hard to see the difference between casting multiple spells at multiple targets while dealing with a secondary resource is different than spamming smite and maybe using solace or divine star if you feel like it.

Sure you can try to simplify paladin healing but its not really the same. You need to use bacon, you need to use holy shock on cooldown (this means keeping track of it and targeting it) you need to use a single target heal or an aoe heal when relevant, and you can just simplify it to blowing all holy power on Light of Dawn. Where as at its most basic you can just tell a disc priest to target a boss and spam smite. Thats the difference I am talking about, how is that not clear as crystal? Multiple spells, multiple targets, aoe vs single target, triaging heals vs spamming smite.

Perhaps both classes have an equal skill ceiling, perhaps not. That isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about the easist to play, not the easiest to master, not which class has the bigger e-peen.

If you don't like the holy paladin example we can talk about monks, if you don't like monks or paladins we can talk about druids. Every other healer has to target some heals, use cooldowns, target aoe's, SOMETHING. Where as a disc can usually coast through on smite spamming.

I understand you are an active raiding Disc Priest, but there is nothing wrong with the "easy" class. Being "easy" isn't good, bad, or otherwise. Its not an insult or anything else.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm sorry for feeling like I need to say this, but as a lot of people know, I'm about as far from being a disc apologist as there is. I simply take issue with your reasoning and some of your over-simplifications. Even at a basic level you shouldn't be advocating that someone simply spam smite and use their 90 talent on cd to do well. We should be advocating teaching them the ins and outs of the class, the reasons they should use certain abilities. TZargetting pom well and keeping it on cd (within limits. it can be forgiving with not always bouncing immediately), putting pw:s on targets at minimum in time with rapture. I've seen learning disc priests go horribly oom doing everything wrong.

07/01/2014 11:59 AMPosted by Zoinks
Where as at its most basic you can just tell a disc priest to target a boss and spam smite.

I can guarantee you that just spamming smite, even in lfr, wont get you that far (even if you're using it as a most basic example) and it wont teach a priest how to deal with situations where someone specific has taken or will take damage. disc isn't a bot spec. you can immediately tell the difference between an lfr priest who is taking advantage of anything in the toolkit above smite and the occasional 90 talent.

Simplify it all you want, but a disc priest who is doing the bare minimum, especially without the crit to support it, will not be doing as well as you think they will, and it wont teach them how to heal! People who want to learn to heal generally don't want to just afk smite. They would need someone to carry them.

e: good lord it probably looks like i'm stalking you. i swear our break time is just lining up or something. i appreciate the chance to hash things out with you, but i'm afraid we don't quite see eye to eye.
Edited by Tsilyi on 7/1/2014 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
How does a Disc Priest even get by in heroic content if all they use is Atonement?

Rapture management, pre-emptively casting SS on certain fights, proper target selection to maximize PoH are all things that are necessary in HMs. It's not just Smite spam.

Also, I'm looking at our H-Pal's logs. By far the main targeted heal he casts in HS, but that makes up such a small proportion of his total healing that he could blindly cast it on CD on the tanks with minimal impact on his total output.
Edited by Rethly on 7/1/2014 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]