Message from Rob Pardo

Chief Creative Officer
Every ending is a beginning and today marks a new beginning for me.

After 17 years at Blizzard, with long and careful contemplation, I have made a difficult and bittersweet but ultimately exciting decision to pursue the next chapter in my life and career.

Before I even joined Blizzard, I was already a huge fan of the company and its games. In particular, I was extremely passionate about the emerging genre of real-time strategy games. It was a dream come true when I was given the opportunity to work on StarCraft, which at the time was being created by a very small team by today’s standards. It was tremendously fulfilling to get to know everyone on the team personally and to contribute our energies toward a shared goal in such a creative and engaging environment.

Blizzard Entertainment has been simply the best place in the world to be a game designer. The best aspect of designing games at Blizzard is that the entire company is passionate about the gameplay within each and every product. From the executive team to customer service to our global offices, every single person is a player and contributes to making the best possible games. It’s for very good reason that the first credit on every Blizzard game is “Game Design by Blizzard Entertainment.”

I’m really proud of the contributions I was able to make to Blizzard’s accomplishments. From building lasting games, to supporting the growth of eSports, to extending the Warcraft world into a feature film, and of course to being able to celebrate our shared passions with the Blizzard community online and at BlizzCon.

The Blizzard community is ultimately the reason why we come to work every day and pour our souls into every world and experience we create. Blizzard’s players are the most passionate in the world and your commitment and dedication are truly awesome to behold. Creating entertainment for you has been an incredible opportunity, and I know that you will continue to grow and become even stronger as a community over the years to come. It has been so meaningful on a personal level to help create joy for all of you.

I’m looking forward to new challenges in my career, but I will always cherish the time I spent with you all and the amazing and collaborative teams at Blizzard. It was both satisfying and humbling, and it made me a better developer and a better person. I look forward to playing Blizzard games as a player for many years to come. Most important, now I have plenty of time to learn how to build a competitive Hearthstone deck.

As to what I will be doing next, I don’t have an answer for you yet . . . but I will “when it’s ready.” My priorities are to enjoy the summer with my family, play plenty of games, and think about what’s next. The game industry is such an exciting place right now with PC gaming thriving, the new consoles, mobile games, and virtual reality becoming an actual reality. It’s like having an empty quest log and going into a new zone for the first time.

In the past, I haven’t been the most avid Twitter user, but I’ll strive to do better and keep you updated there—@Rob_Pardo. Please stay in touch!

Rob
Edited by Kyzoc on 7/18/2014 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
another one bites the dust ?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Holy wow, did not see this coming!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Whoa.... Good luck on whatever you do next!

EDIT:

This is a very sad and stunning departure from Blizzard Entertainment, and I'm sorry to see him go.

I know this will start a lot of rumors and conspiracies, but all in all just a sad day.

I wish Rob Pardo the best and I thank him for all the work he has done on the games I enjoy so much, and the impact he has made on the video game industry as a whole!

I made a video about this, you can see it here: http://youtu.be/-bM2flQMPxA
Edited by Deneve on 7/3/2014 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
:(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
rats leaving the ship?
Reply Quote
64 Undead Warrior
love you bud
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Wish nothing but the best to you! Thanks for having a hand in the games that really kickstarted my passion for gaming.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
On a side note, would it be fair to say thanks for posting this on blizz's forums instead of twitter?

And also, good luck.
Reply Quote
Good luck in your future endeavors!

And whats up with head staff leaving lately? First Ghostcrawler, now this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thank you for everything you have done Rob.

Can't wait to see what you do next!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Good luck on the next chapter of your life, Rob.
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
First GC and now you.

Shakeups a bit.

Well, best of luck out there.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Oh wow. Thank you for all your work with Blizzard, and best of luck in your future endeavors! Something something working with Oculus Rift? :D

So who's filling those shoes anyhow? Warlords is still trucking along but it isn't out yet, obviously, still much designing to be had.

PS: How's Venice? ;)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Noooooooo. Can we collectively bribe you to stay? Just a wee bit longer? =(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
07/03/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Agnix
Good luck in your future endeavors!

And whats up with head staff leaving lately? First Ghostcrawler, now this.
Turnover in the video game industry is a constant happening. The fact Blizzard went this long with a static core is pretty amazing.

Also, Ghostcrawler admittedly left due to difference in game design opinion and loving the open forum and constant interaction between developers and players that Riot Games encourages. Blizzard hadn't started making any real strides towards more developer interaction and transparency until after Ghostcrawler's departure.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm going to guess he is going to Riot just like Ghostcrawler did.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It's sad to see you go :( But, life moves on and sometimes you just need a change of scenery and a fresh gig to play.

Thank you so much for all you've done for us, and best of luck in the magical world of life.
Edited by Howlingclaw on 7/3/2014 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]