The Feel of Retribution

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm actually more or less content with how Ret functions in PvE right now. Very rare empty GCDs, and how to maximize DPS has more to do with ability to carry out rotation perfectly on the move rather than entirely reliant on RNG and/or trinket procs. It took years for Ret to arrive at its current state, and given what we've had to deal with over past expansions, I'd say right now we are at a high point.

Judging from the history of Ret, unfortunately having fewer buttons to press did in fact mean dumbing things down. In vanilla we had 1 Judge/Seal/Consecrate macro, and combat consisted of counting seconds between swings and hoping for a SoC/JoC crit. It was completely ridiculous - which was one of the many reasons Ret had such a terrible reputation at the start.

In BC we got Wings, CS, and the possibility to kill ourselves in SoB. Ret was at least a viable spec then, but still did poorly in PvE, and the play style barely improved from vanilla.

WotLK was arguably the epitome of Ret, almost entirely because of Spin to Win Divine Storm. The rotation was simplistic, but actually being able to use abilities for 70%+ of GCDs was among the largest contributions to making Ret fun to play. Of course, choice wasn't involved since it's Divine Storm all the way, but in a comparison between actually using skills 70% of the time rather than sit there and wait 70% of the time, doing something always come up on top.

At this point Ret has developed from RNG-based, super-slow game play that can barely be called game play to fast-paced combat that uses a not-too-complicated rotation. From a fun perspective, we've improved leaps and bounds. From a skill perspective, it's become a lot easier to distinguish between average, good, and excellent Rets.

Personally speaking, the only change I'd like to see is for Blizzard to take all Ret utility spells off GCD so there'd be no excuse not to use them.

Speaking of simplistic rotations... DW Frost DK - when you can do 200k DPS single target with Glaives equipped, there is a problem with design...
Reply Quote
07/30/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Orisvae

At this point Ret has developed from RNG-based, super-slow game play that can barely be called game play to fast-paced combat that uses a not-too-complicated rotation. From a fun perspective, we've improved leaps and bounds. From a skill perspective, it's become a lot easier to distinguish between average, good, and excellent Rets.

[/quote]In LK the excellent Ret was the one that rode the tank's threat all the way. The merely good fell off after a couple of minutes. The bad either never worried the tank, or over-aggroed and died. Not hard to tell.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
@Orisvae: I realize things aren't bad. I just don't like how Art of War resets a non-weapon attack. Half our single target rotation is ranged holy attacks - why have "Art of War" refresh one of the ranged attacks if we're a melee specialization? It just seems like a weird design to me. It seems like it should enhance CS/HotR in some way, not Exorcism.

And can someone tell me why our level 90 talents aren't enhanced by the Evil Eye of Galakras but our level 60s are (and only one of them isn't passive)?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Some one should've warned the poor kid that you can't tell paladins that there is something wrong with their class. They won't believe you and will flame you for it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/02/2014 08:30 AMPosted by Hadès
Some one should've warned the poor kid that you can't tell paladins that there is something wrong with their class. They won't believe you and will flame you for it.

There really isnt anything wrong with paladin. Other classes are just way too out of control
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
Air
It feels like... a bag of sand.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a bit clunky if you ask me. A spam ability would be nice, but W/E. Not gonna cry over that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Eon
Some of these posters take this game too seriously...
Reply Quote
OP:

This point has been beaten to death this expansion, especially of late. Yeah Retribution is in a bad place for pvp, and in pve? I don't really pve so?

Hopefully in WoD they will fix the retribution spec.

IMO we need an overall damage boost, removing battle fatigue will remove our biggest hobble (pvp), and along with all of the reduction of CC we will come out pretty good IMO.

Lets hope that turns out to be true.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
08/02/2014 11:18 AMPosted by Maebyfunke
It feels like... a bag of sand.
I got the reference but the context went over my head.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
07/29/2014 10:18 AMPosted by Aeremis
I just feel like my Ret. Paladin should be wielding a large mace, landing slower but heavily damaging blows to the enemy. And then having time to scan his team and surroundings, and providing a bit of protection and succor where it is needed.

Wouldn't we be better off as Mastery/Crit? Make Fury Crit/Haste?

Does WoD alleviate any of this? I would just really appreciate a hybrid/utility class with some time for utility.

I like being a Plate wearing fast swining paladin though... with a sword. Hammers are boring imo.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/06/2014 05:58 PMPosted by Rakintosh
Some of these posters take this game too seriously...

Maybe you don't take it seriously enough.
Reply Quote
98 Dwarf Paladin
07/29/2014 11:09 AMPosted by Andrasté
07/29/2014 10:18 AMPosted by Aeremis
And everything is happening FAST!

Best part about ret imo...

Yet another Want-Ret-To-Be-Warrior-Or-DK thread.

Say what you want but I agree with him, I'll remind you that in Vanilla and even Burning Crusade a ret's bread and butter was auto attack damage with a slower play style, almost exactly as Aeremis has described
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/07/2014 05:38 PMPosted by Magnus
07/29/2014 11:09 AMPosted by Andrasté
Best part about ret imo...

Yet another Want-Ret-To-Be-Warrior-Or-DK thread.

Say what you want but I agree with him, I'll remind you that in Vanilla and even Burning Crusade a ret's bread and butter was auto attack damage with a slower play style, almost exactly as Aeremis has described

And how many people enjoyed that terrible play style?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

And how many people enjoyed that terrible play style?

Everyone who went up against a Ret in PvP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]