Current State of Ret

99 Human Paladin
Now in season 15 Retribution paladins may not be everyones #1 choice for RBGs or Arenas but i'm getting tired of every paladin using the "i'm ret" excuse as to why they can't get rating. I'm sure many people rerolled due to Ret's less than average performance in PvP but honestly it isn't a bad spec at all. If people actually spent time improving they could certainly achieve 2.2k rating and beyond. So this is a call to all my ret friends, go rekt some skrubz.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/24/2014 04:50 PMPosted by Imahityou
Now in season 15 Retribution paladins may not be everyones #1 choice for RBGs or Arenas but i'm getting tired of every paladin using the "i'm ret" excuse as to why they can't get rating. I'm sure many people rerolled due to Ret's less than average performance in PvP but honestly it isn't a bad spec at all. If people actually spent time improving they could certainly achieve 2.2k rating and beyond. So this is a call to all my ret friends, go rekt some skrubz.
Maybe it isn't a bad spec (I don't do much PvP) but one of the issues I see is a high percentage of players that use this game as their primary source of self-esteem.

For example, I saw this guy throwing around his "Heroic Garrosh kill" achievement in guild chat like he cured cancer and banged every 2013 Playboy centerfold all on the same day. Worst of all, to him that was proof that "PvE is easy!" and "real men do PvP" (Like he soloed Garrosh himself...) He wasn't joking. I usually avoid confrontational situations in this game but I pretty much made it that evening's mission to lambast him as thoroughly as humanly possible.

My experience is very few hardcore PvP players do it for fun; they THINK they do, but in reality they do it for status and as an ego-exercise. When you don't get what you want, well, you've seen the posts.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The best Ret in the world Vanguards publicly said "Ret is bad".

Given equal skill, gear and cooldowns there is no longer any way a ret can beat an opponent.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
It doesn't matter who's the best because there's always room for improvement no matter who or what you are. If there are still rets over 2500 rated then the spec is still most certainly viable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you have a good partner that is willing to play with ret over a warrior or death knight, he is stupid or a really good friend.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
By far the biggest issue is finding someone who wants to handicap themselves by playing with a ret paladin. It's viable but definitely a handicap on the team.
Reply Quote
07/24/2014 04:50 PMPosted by Imahityou
Now in season 15 Retribution paladins may not be everyones #1 choice for RBGs or Arenas but i'm getting tired of every paladin using the "i'm ret" excuse as to why they can't get rating.

Sorry, but you just can't get rating in RBGs when no serious team will take a ret. I have a hard time even getting invited to YOLO RBGs. Look at the RBG ladder; there are ZERO ret paladins. No one wants them, which is why they have had no chance all xpac. It remains to see how WoD treats us.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
07/25/2014 12:15 PMPosted by Imahityou
It doesn't matter who's the best because there's always room for improvement no matter who or what you are. If there are still rets over 2500 rated then the spec is still most certainly viable.
Obviously you missed the point. Let's do this again: the best Ret in the world says "ret is bad". That's proof that ret is bad. Pay attention
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
It is true that Ret is a handicap but if you are a competent player who knows what he's doing it would be better than them playing with some inexperienced DK/Warrior. Nobody is truly a handicap, the way they play is a handicap, that's why most ret paladins just give up because they don't do well in 2s. Place a ret in 3s however and our utility and our burst is very high if the player knows what he is doing.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a hard time understanding the mentality of of gamers sometimes. I find my retribution paladin great fun too play in PvP and PVE.

Here is the thing tho. Even in PvE there are situations where a class might under preform and be sat out in high end, cutting edge progression. I am sure most of you would agree that happens and are begrudgingly ok when it happens.

I am sure you can find a parallel in the PvP world.

The thing is top PvE players, can play more then one class, and do switch when one is under preforming. And it might surprise you to know that many high ranked players play more than one class or spec too.

They are more interested in rank than what class they did it on.

I get it. I love my Paladin too. I wish he was better than he is at PvP, and i am strictly a casual when it comes to it. That is why i play my Rogue or Warrior too, even tho i am much more skilled with my Ret, it is pretty weak, and i do better, even tho i am less skilled, with my Rogue and Warrior.

Just play another class for PvP if rank is important to you. I imagine that what Vanguards is doing.
Edited by Woa on 7/25/2014 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
I've played ret since WOTLK and no matter how bad or good it has been, i've always came back to it. I tried rerolling warrior in season 12 but I couldn't resist getting my ret to 90. I've always been good at Ret so it's just meant for me I guess. I hate seeing people quick playing the class they've had fun with because it's not the best, but Ret is still viable but people want the easy way out. I'm going to stick with this Ret until I quit the game entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
lol for any class that can't vanish, deterrence, divine shield AW/GOAK/HA, it's might guy 8 gates on them. i've had execution sentece do 20k ticks with 100k+ finish (on myself with 80% , yes... 80 fkin percent resil...) and hammer of wrath crits for 100k + 70k mastery dmg every 3, YES 3, seconds. stop talking about balance.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
unless ur doin it wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
ur gems and reforge are all wrong too. haste>mastery
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Wow a triple post, okie dokie.

Post 1) Cross CC, tah dah. Also, nobody ever said our burst was bad. wtf Naruto reference?

Post 2) k?

Post 3) Your ignorance is showing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/25/2014 10:53 PMPosted by Runawayy
lol for any class that can't vanish, deterrence, divine shield AW/GOAK/HA, it's might guy 8 gates on them. i've had execution sentece do 20k ticks with 100k+ finish (on myself with 80% , yes... 80 fkin percent resil...) and hammer of wrath crits for 100k + 70k mastery dmg every 3, YES 3, seconds. stop talking about balance.

If they are taking Holy Avenger, which is the proper burst talent for ret in PVP, they can crit that 170k w/ their mastery already in that, but its every 6 seconds. Not 3. In order for it to be 3, they have to take Sanctified Wrath, which means all their HoPo generators lose 30% damage, and hammer of wrath is included in that modifier. So if you are doing a hammer every 3 secs in pvp bc you have sanc wrath, your not hitting for 100k+70k, but instead 70k+47k. Thats a 54k difference on an attack, and is HUUGE. Keep that all in mind.

And also, ret is not a crit based spec. We arent like hunters w/ 50% crit, or wars who stack nothing but crit either. So the situation you are saying is when all the stars align, and we can do the stars aligning for any spec in the game. I can LITERALLY global a full health fully geared PVP target on my arcane mage in 3 globals w/ just my own personal buffs I can use in an instanced PVP area. That does not mean the spec is viable though, its nothing compared to Frost or even Fire in arenas.

07/25/2014 11:00 PMPosted by Runawayy
ur gems and reforge are all wrong too. haste>mastery

In pve, it is. In PVP, all 3 secondaries are actually a good choice depending on what playstyle your running. Ive ran w/ all of them, and Ive found Crit to fit the way I play the best for multiple reasons, but know plenty of other high end rets that run a mastery build, or haste build. Its just preference.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
07/25/2014 06:08 PMPosted by Imahityou
It is true that Ret is a handicap but if you are a competent player who knows what he's doing it would be better than them playing with some inexperienced DK/Warrior.
Finding an experienced death knight or warrior is far easier than playing with a competent ret.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Ret is a rank one spec and a second rank one spec of paladin class.

http://i.imgur.com/obO5GjV.jpg

The only issue with ret is the male blood elf effect. Notice on the ladders no male blood elf. That is because there is something different about a player who picked male blood elf.

Think of it like this. You are going to take a test that requires a #2 pencil everyone knows this, but the male blood elf player brings a purple crayon!!!!

EDIT

the state of RET Rank One Point set match
Edited by Varðlokkur on 7/26/2014 7:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
^ This is a very valid point brought up. Not trying to be racist 0: but every male Blood Elf and Draenei always have this badness to them. That's a huge issue since both of those classes are pretty paladin related. But I agree I don't understand what it is that makes them bad but it's funny! :D
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
07/26/2014 07:34 AMPosted by Imahityou
Not trying to be racist 0: but every male Blood Elf and Draenei always have this badness to them.
You're...not being serious are you? That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]