New to Holy.. ??

90 Human Paladin
So, up until now, I've been healing on my druid, but I figured after so long it's time to try something new. So, let's try paladin.

I'm only just gearing up my Paladin and I don't fully understand the class, so here I am. I've watched some videos and read Icy Veins and gotten advice from my friends who have Holy Paladins themselves. To my understanding, Holy focuses mostly around Eternal Flame at this point, I've been told time and time again "get Eternal Flame on as many people as you can!" so... I must be missing something.

Barring the 2 minute CD on Holy Avenger, getting the 3 holy power for a useful Eternal Flame from mashing Holy Radiance (for the mastery shields and such on party members, etc...) takes 6 seconds and 63k mana, per eternal flame, per party member? I mean, naturally you throw in a Holy Shock when it's off cooldown, but that's a ~6 second CD, so maybe you get one per Eternal Flame, saving the 21k mana and 2 seconds. Still, that's 42k mana and 4 seconds of virtually uselessness in order to use our single useful ability once?

Maybe it's because I'm still gearing up, maybe because I'm a total noob at holy paladins, but am I missing something here? I'm either doing a tiny bit of healing and completely out of mana, or basically useless

TL;DR: wtf how to holy
Edited by Illuminati on 8/3/2014 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Just run Selfless Healer until you get to about ~530 ilvl or so (whenever you can start maintaining 14k+ spirit), because otherwise you just wont' last long enough to be useful while using Eternal Flame.

As SH:

Judge -> HS -> HR -> LoD -> repeat

Never run out of mana, and hit your cooldowns when you need them.

You can do SH with about ~8k spirit, which you do indeed have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13204350709

And also what Wangbro said. Go SH for now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And you can also stick with SH in end game if you prefer that play style (unless maybe for Malkorok) and still manage to have good numbers.

I very rarely get outhealed in 10man against other healers with similar ilvl than mine, tho I only have 3/14H exp for now.

SH is perfect for a casual healer that still likes to perform... its hard to explain but I feel "trapped" when I play EF :-)

Oh and Andrasté, pretty good guide btw. Thanks!
Edited by Xhor on 8/4/2014 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/03/2014 05:52 PMPosted by Wangbro

J - HR - HS - LoD

That way you aren't waiting til your next rotation to proc Daybreak. Yes, I'm nitpicking.

08/04/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Xhor
its hard to explain but I feel "trapped" when I play EF :-)

I agree. SH feels, and is, very mobile with only one cast time spell. EF is also about as exciting as watching flies !@#$, except for meter padding Malk. I think having a rotation as a healer is stupid, but if I'm forced into one, I'd rather it be the faster one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/05/2014 03:06 AMPosted by Vlada
J - HR - HS - LoD

That way you aren't waiting til your next rotation to proc Daybreak. Yes, I'm nitpicking.

You're not nitpicking, you're doing it the right way :-)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
EF is also about as exciting as watching flies !@#$,

I mean... When I run SH I just have a cast sequence macro that does Judge > HR > HS > LoD. One button...

At least with EF I have to put a heal on someone. SH you just press the same ol' 4 keys in the same ol' order. I usually play on my DS or xbox or something while healing as SH.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, you see, what I'm actually doing when I'm SH... is jumping around the rest of the raid. Like, jumping. Practicing my twirls and such. I feel glued to the ground as EF. I try to do as little of the standing in the back as possible. It's done wonders for my positioning. There's no reason for it, but as the rotation is super simple, I like to do other things to keep myself occupied.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I agree. SH feels, and is, very mobile with only one cast time spell. EF is also about as exciting as watching flies !@#$, except for meter padding Malk. I think having a rotation as a healer is stupid, but if I'm forced into one, I'd rather it be the faster one.

It's boring until you get to EF the raid when you pop HA+DF!

...but then it's dullsville for another minute-and-forty-seconds.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/05/2014 07:38 AMPosted by Andrasté
I mean... When I run SH I just have a cast sequence macro that does Judge > HR > HS > LoD. One button...

This is brilliant! I only run SH on Thok and I don't dps that often so I struggle keeping up a true rotation.

Thanks!

(e) to explain that I'm not quite as scrubby as I seem. My brain gets bored doing repetitive things and wanders off and then the repetitive thing just kinda stops.
Edited by Sarakatawen on 8/5/2014 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/05/2014 08:23 AMPosted by Vlada
Well, you see, what I'm actually doing when I'm SH... is jumping around the rest of the raid. Like, jumping. Practicing my twirls and such. I feel glued to the ground as EF. I try to do as little of the standing in the back as possible. It's done wonders for my positioning. There's no reason for it, but as the rotation is super simple, I like to do other things to keep myself occupied.

Have you ever considered playing a druid? I mean, you seem to enjoy the whole jumping around thing as a healer and that's really their schtick.

#notactuallyserious
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm too pretty to play a druid.

#forserious
Reply Quote
08/03/2014 05:52 PMPosted by Wangbro

J - HR - HS - LoD

08/04/2014 11:39 AMPosted by Xhor
its hard to explain but I feel "trapped" when I play EF :-)

Would this rotation change for someone who is 550 prideful full enchants and gems?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
08/06/2014 09:50 AMPosted by Sigismund
Would this rotation change for someone who is 550 prideful full enchants and gems?

I assume you're talking about PvE in PVP gear. In this case SH healing is ALWAYS Judge > HR > HS > LoD rinse repeat.

If you're talking about PvPing... You should go EF.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Uh I just wanted to chime in. Daybreak does such small amount of healing. Literally less then 2% of our healing on a fight that favors it.

I'll use thok as an example.
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vfnmpTMKx7F4PYtB#fight=33&type=healing&source=15

It is much better to keep Judge and Holy Shock on Cooldown to generate more Holy power.

So people who think the J - HR - HS rotation is right, is sadly mistaken.
Edited by Virsta on 8/6/2014 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/06/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Virsta
It is much better to keep Judge and Holy Shock on Cooldown to generate more Holy power.

That's happening anyway, that's how SH works. Just like Daybreak is happening anyway. The difference is simply when. As it's happening anyway, I don't really get what the point of you posting logs was. No one said anything about DB's potency.

08/06/2014 06:38 PMPosted by Virsta
So people who think the J - HR - HS rotation is right, is sadly mistaken.

You haven't shown why. I'd like to take your word for it, but I can't do that. Without you providing actual proof or some sort of comparison between the two rotations, it simply comes across as your preference. It seems to be a trivial difference, which is why I mentioned I was nitpicking.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
08/06/2014 08:28 PMPosted by Vlada
You haven't shown why. I'd like to take your word for it, but I can't do that. Without you providing actual proof or some sort of comparison between the two rotations, it simply comes across as your preference. It seems to be a trivial difference, which is why I mentioned I was nitpicking.

It's overall gain in holy power generation. small but still a gain.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is my main, which is resto off-spec; I too will be going holy paladin for WoD.

J - HR - HS - LoD this all day long, most times, I'm not even looking at the screen, it's pretty rotten gameplay and I hate it compared to druid. Granted he has no gear yet and is still flex bound. I'm hoping I actually have to look center screen in regular.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
08/07/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Dorgrodyn
This is my main, which is resto off-spec; I too will be going holy paladin for WoD.

J - HR - HS - LoD this all day long, most times, I'm not even looking at the screen, it's pretty rotten gameplay and I hate it compared to druid. Granted he has no gear yet and is still flex bound. I'm hoping I actually have to look center screen in regular.

Judging by how things are currently shaping on on beta, SH is 100% gutted, so you'll be going EF and just spamming tanks while EF blanketing, or at least that's how it seems now.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Very helpful post guys. I was scratching my head about why my healing sucked. Got rid of Eternal flame and switched to selfless healer. Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]