Mastery vs Haste? Yeah I know

100 Dwarf Paladin
I know this has been talked about 10,000 times but I've tried both and seem to still be getting my !@# kicked regularly by people with less gear (and I know less sill sometimes).

I'm not claiming to be pro as I'm generally new to ret but I must say I'm at a loss.

I could really use some help, I used to go Mastery/haste/crit or something like that but lately I've been going
Haste/Crit/Mastery

Discuss please, I'm ready and willing to learn. No criticism will offend me I just really need some help cus I can't keep breaking everything in my house when I get killed by a back pedaling hunter
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
08/06/2014 07:20 AMPosted by Magnus
a back pedaling hunter

Their dps is increased by 2000% while moonwalking. Bonus points for being a male night elf. There isn't much you can do.
Edited by Andrasté on 8/6/2014 7:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Is this a PvP thread ?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
ya...pvp thread
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Might've been nice to mention it, so I didn't have to armory you to kinda figure out what you meant. Was going to tell you the PvP Power gems and 22% Haste at ilvl 550 was probably hurting your DPS before I figured it out.

Make your complaints constructive by telling us which area of the game you're struggling with and ask for help on those instead of having us go detective to figure it out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
To be fair, you could have read the last sentence and figured it out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
There's prominent builds which go both ways. Personally, I use a mastery build for the added burst while Holy Avenger is active, but there's plenty of rets who use haste builds. It's all about playstyle.

It sounds like you just need some more practice. Try doing a bunch of BGs and arenas with friends, and make sure to read some of the great guides that our fellow ret paladins have posted on the forums.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/06/2014 08:29 AMPosted by Vlada
To be fair, you could have read the last sentence and figured it out.

Some hunters backpeddle in PvE too...

To be fair : "figuring it out" is exactly what I was saying. If you make a thread, don't make it so your reader has to "figure it out".
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Stat priorities gave it away. Also the part about raging about being killed. Can't remember the last time anyone cared about a hunter backpeddling in PvE. Context clues.

If someone is going to help him, first thing they are probably going to do is click his profile anyway. From there, it's what? Five whole seconds to look at his ilvl and then scroll down to his raid experience? There's no 'figuring it out' to do, it's pretty basic. I bet it took you ten times longer than that to scold him about wasting 'our' time.

This reader figured it out without clicking his profile. I tend to read posts all the way through, it seems to help with understanding what people are talking about. I'm not sure why you're going around telling people how to post, especially when it comes across as backhanded advice. Besides, we already have an Officer Friendly around here.

You do a lot of good things for this board, this is not one of them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
08/06/2014 10:24 AMPosted by Vlada
Can't remember the last time anyone cared about a hunter backpeddling in PvE.

Defile
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If someone is going to help him, first thing they are probably going to do is click his profile anyway. From there, it's what? Five whole seconds to look at his ilvl and then scroll down to his raid experience? There's no 'figuring it out' to d

So basically, everyone should click his profile, look up his gemming, gearing, raid experience, but it's not "figuring it out". It's just... everyone wasting time.

How hard would it be to just plainly state it, save everyone the time to armory him or try to decipher :

Context clues.

I mean, the burden of figuring out what you're trying to say isn't on the reader, it's on the writer to make himself clear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I sometimes switch around. I don't really notice a significant change in my DPS. Either way if someone is caught within my burst, they're going down fast.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
it's rather sad that the paladin community is more abuot nitpicking and !@#$%ing at each other rather than actually helping their fellow players.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/06/2014 12:45 PMPosted by Semja
it's rather sad that the paladin community is more abuot nitpicking and !@#$%ing at each other rather than actually helping their fellow players.

Your transmog is total ew, 2/10 would not wear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

I'll agree with him on this one.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

I'm 100% all about helping. Actually clicked on this thread to see if it was a Prot Paladin wanting some questions answered about Haste vs Mastery.

In the end, if you post a thread wanting help, making your intentions clear and your topic clear will help people focus their help and make them willing to help. When you waste someone's time, it gets annoying to that person, and he might be less willing to help in the future.

If anything, you should be wishing the Paladin community was less about "clues" and "figuring out" and being more clear in their interventions.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
08/06/2014 01:03 PMPosted by Berith

I'm 100% all about helping. Actually clicked on this thread to see if it was a Prot Paladin wanting some questions answered about Haste vs Mastery.

In the end, if you post a thread wanting help, making your intentions clear and your topic clear will help people focus their help and make them willing to help. When you waste someone's time, it gets annoying to that person, and he might be less willing to help in the future.

If anything, you should be wishing the Paladin community was less about "clues" and "figuring out" and being more clear in their interventions.

All I see is excuses to cover up your terrible attitude. The reality is that not everyone is perfect at explaning themselfs. And sometimes what they are asking, while apparent to them, is hard to understand by others.

You, as a "helper" should be able to figure it out. You are smart are you not? Then help the person and then nicely put an aside of, "please be more spefific about what help you need next time because i had problems understanding you."

Going into detail abuot all the time wasting things you had to do to figure it out just shows you as an !@#.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
08/06/2014 01:03 PMPosted by Berith

You're literally the only person in this thread that had trouble figuring it out.

If you actually read the opening post it's obvious that it's about PVP, failing that one armory click reveals it to be so. It was no time consuming detective endeavor to understand what the OP wanted.

But you felt the need to lecture the OP about his posting habits and completely derail his thread asking for real help by bickering over proper posting etiquette.

You could have just offered whatever advice you had and then said "Hey, in the future toss a PVP or PVE in your title, that would be helpful."

But instead we have all this.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 8/6/2014 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/06/2014 01:16 PMPosted by Semja
All I see is excuses to cover up your terrible attitude.

I make no excuses at all in my post. I'm 100% clear and honest : I came to help, noticed it was about PvP after armorying and figuring out the clues and posted my initial comment about this being a PvP thread.

The only terrible attitude here is one who would accuse me of lying. I don't lie and most people know this : I'm too blunt and honest and some even don't like it (Cadenbrie being one of those) :

08/06/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
You're literally the only person in this thread that had trouble figuring it out.

You're assuming. My question was sarcasm. The OP's armory and his last sentence made it clear and I knew before it was pointed out.

As I said, I just wanted to indicate that people should make clear interventions with clear topics to avoid possible confusion and "figuring out" that is just wasteful. Period.

Saying PvP in the OP would've made it 100% easier on everyone reading.

You could have just offered whatever advice you had

I have no advice for PvP. I don't care about PvP really. So my only advice to the OP was to make his topics clearer in the future. Which I did just offer, exactly as you ask.

Why are you mad that I did exactly what you just told me to do ?

But instead we have all this.

Discussing how to properly formulate requests for help can only enrich forum discussions moving forward.
Edited by Berith on 8/6/2014 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
follow my gem scheme. it is the best scheme

Str>haste>crit>mastery
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]