Mr Chilton - What do you mean you don't know?

90 Tauren Druid
...They can combine realms with opposite faction-imbalances and similar populations to artificially create a balanced whole.

That only works for the time immediately after the merger. There's no way to stop more players from creating more characters in the dominant faction and imbalancing the realm yet again.

Yes, putting together connected realms does take some thought, but they are doing it anyway. Faction balance is one of the factors they can take into consideration, to try to generally even things out.

They can also use CRZ to dynamically faction-balance each zone. No hands-on-effort whatsoever, it's a basic load-balancing type of algorithm. Realm group (with connected realms/current CRZ) has, say, 30 at-level Horde and 5 at-level Ally toons, and 3 Horde level 90 toons. So, the next 25 at-level Ally toons and the next 3 90 Ally 90's who enter the zone, on a compatible server type (RP or not, PVP or not), will be CRZ'd in with them. As people enter/leave, or log in/out, it can adapt to them.

I'm not saying that Blizz will do this, or that it is necessary. I'm simply addressing the claim that Blizz "can't do anything about faction imbalance." They already have been taking steps in this direction, I've actually run into Ally toons (from other servers, of course) here on Illidan. My Stormrage shammy has seen lots of Horde toons (likewise), even though neither server is currently connected to other realms.
I leveled two Ally toon on Tichondrius when it was a relatively-balanced server (not perfectly 50/50, but decently close). I had a lot of people try to engage in WPVP with me, but usually just putting my PW:S or Sacred Shield was enough to discourage them. I quasi-grouped with Horde a lot while leveling my Pally, and on Isle of Thunder.

Most people only do WPVP with targets who are much lower level, much less geared, or afk (ie. camping flightpoints). The mildest of resistance is usually enough to persuade them to seek another victim. This applies regardless of whether flight is enabled in that particular area.
96 Draenei Shaman
08/18/2014 06:12 PMPosted by Candescently
It's like watching a horror movie.

Yeah ... sounds about right. And not one of the old classics either that was actually decent. Sorry, I had to comment on that!

08/18/2014 06:12 PMPosted by Candescently
It's like watching a horror movie. Nooooooo don't all split up! The pretty blonde girl always dies first! I don't want WoD to be a flop, but it feels like there's nothing I can do to stop them. Waiting until 6.1 may be too late for them to recover from. :(

So you're comparing Warlords to the Pretty Girl?

Jesting aside, the problem with the very concept of wait and see is that it encourages apathy. Eventually even the most determined people give up and surrender. Look at the threads about Karabor & Bladespire. Sure, there are still a few floating around, but apathy eventually set in and most gave up.
100 Night Elf Rogue
It does, grimly, seem like WoD is destined to underperform and may permanently reverse the momentum of WoW.

The end product looks nothing like what was debuted at Blizzcon. There's so much content missing and there have been next to no attempts to fix underlying issues that made the game less fun.

I want it to succeed. I desperately do. But with the lack of transparency, the convoluted design, the typical heavy-handedness on Blizzard's development and, most importantly, the lack of communication, I just don't see WoD being a happy experience for many.
Edited by Enekie on 8/18/2014 6:29 PM PDT
96 Draenei Shaman
Enekie ... there are two groups that'll be happy.

A) Companies that want to see Blizzard/Activision fall / fail.

B) Blizzards Investors (maybe not as happy as if it was a success, but profit is profit).
15 Worgen Rogue
08/18/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Verdre

Not so much that I want to see them fail, I'd rather just see them humbled.
100 Night Elf Rogue

B) Blizzards Investors (maybe not as happy as if it was a success, but profit is profit).

The thing is: if the game isn't fun, people will drop off. If people drop off, profits decrease. Right now, the game looks very un-fun.
11 Pandaren Mage
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Do you refuse to buy books until you've read them in full?

You can not compare an non interactive book with an interactive game don't even try .

I know my authors and my subjects before I buy any book . I also read the excerpts provided so I know what I am buying .
Any educated consumer knows how to shop If they value there time and money .

Didn't you threaten not to buy Cata and then Mop over a multitude of issues and yet buy them anyway? People like you make it hard for players with actual legitimate concerns to be heard. We all know you will buy Wod so stop pretending otherwise. We aren't stupid.
Edited by Zanzul on 8/18/2014 7:09 PM PDT
11 Pandaren Mage
08/18/2014 06:29 PMPosted by Enekie
It does, grimly, seem like WoD is destined to underperform and may permanently reverse the momentum of WoW.

The end product looks nothing like what was debuted at Blizzcon. There's so much content missing and there have been next to no attempts to fix underlying issues that made the game less fun.

I want it to succeed. I desperately do. But with the lack of transparency, the convoluted design, the typical heavy-handedness on Blizzard's development and, most importantly, the lack of communication, I just don't see WoD being a happy experience for many.

Wow lost momentum long ago. The game is 10 years old at this point and over 25 million people have played and quit since launch. It is foolish to think subscriptions are ever going to go back to where they were because that is NOT the trend of ANY mmo past or present. Stop using subscriptions to justify your idiotic rants.

08/18/2014 06:54 PMPosted by Enekie

The thing is: if the game isn't fun, people will drop off. If people drop off, profits decrease. Right now, the game looks very un-fun.

You do understand there are many, many, many reasons for people to cancel that have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual game right?

Come on enough with the politicing. It doesn't work on Fox News and it isn't going to work here. If you have to prop up your issues with the game on the backs of everyone who quit the game knowing full well many of them very likely don't share your views then you aren't worth listening to anyway. Thankfully this is something Blizzard realizes hence why this community is kept at arm's length.
Edited by Zanzul on 8/18/2014 7:06 PM PDT
100 Troll Rogue

I actually think the game is fun, the dungeon content is the best they have done for many years, raids look interesting with fun mechanics, garrisons which I thought I wouldn't like are actually pretty good, the environments are all beautiful and the story (which I wasn't sold on) works for me.

Its enough for me to not fixate on a few things that I am not crazy about with the expansion, I don't expect blizzard to design the game around my preferences though and I do not want to play a game that is designed by popular opinion.
90 Tauren Druid
08/18/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Verdre
So you're comparing Warlords to the Pretty Girl?

Jesting aside, the problem with the very concept of wait and see is that it encourages apathy. Eventually even the most determined people give up and surrender.

Well not exactly comparing Warlords to the Pretty Girl, after all, orc Warlords putting on blonde wigs and lipstick would be weird. It's the same helpless feeling of "Nooooo, don't do that!" though.

Well, I guess on the bright side, the "community feedback" thing means that Blizz wants us to keep letting them know that yes, we want flight. I've chosen to interpret it to mean, "yes, please keep mentioning it on the forums, bring it up on twitter, politely, but relentlessly. If you stop talking about it, we'll take it as an excuse to keep your wings imprisoned!"
31 Draenei Priest
08/18/2014 08:36 PMPosted by Coldêthyl
They have decided it, and are trying to say "YOU" the player has a say.
Horse radish!

yeah, that's a laugh and a half...if we had half a say, we wouldn't be in this mess right now. ¬.¬

The thing is: if the game isn't fun, people will drop off. If people drop off, profits decrease.

here's the thing. Blizzard doesn't care, if sub numbers drop. they truly believe people will come back...and if not, they can always sucker more people into the game. Blizz only listens to those, with positive feedback, but eventually, that'll run out, and they'll either have to find more "obedient sheep", or go down with the ship.
90 Troll Druid
It's pretty damn clear at this point that there's a lot of money being shifted from WoW and into another project they are doing.

Vote the best way a consumer can, with your money. Unsubscribe.
31 Draenei Priest
08/19/2014 03:14 AMPosted by Øph
It's pretty damn clear at this point that there's a lot of money being shifted from WoW and into another project they are doing.

already have. my time expires soon, and I don't intend to come back...not even for the 10th anniversary either. would've been nice to do MC with the guild...but to have to be at lvl 100 for it? forget it. not worth it IMO. time better spent, trying to get to lvl 50 in FF XIV, so I can get Magitek Armor, and help the FC plan ahead for the eventual purchase, of an Airship, once that gets released in future content. xP
90 Draenei Mage

That's one way.

I'll continue to subscribe until I run out of things to do in old content (assuming the global changes being made don't completely "ruin" the game for me). I'm 50/50 right now on whether I'll end up buying Warlords at all -- I'll hold off deciding until after the first of the year. Unfortunately, the signal that sends to Blizzard isn't going to mean much to them.

/shrug
100 Night Elf Druid
08/19/2014 08:19 AMPosted by Sufia

That's one way.

I'll continue to subscribe until I run out of things to do in old content (assuming the global changes being made don't completely "ruin" the game for me). I'm 50/50 right now on whether I'll end up buying Warlords at all -- I'll hold off deciding until after the first of the year. Unfortunately, the signal that sends to Blizzard isn't going to mean much to them.

/shrug

Same here. I will buy WoD and give it a chance before I make my ultimate decision on whether it's good, bad or other. But taking breaks from WoW gets easier and easier for me so if it's even a little "meh" I will probably be going away again.
90 Draenei Mage
08/19/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Starling
But taking breaks from WoW gets easier and easier for me so if it's even a little "meh" I will probably be going away again.

I've never never allowed my licenses to expire but I've had to, on occasion, walk away from the game for a week or two at a time. That said, the worst burnout I've gone through has been during Mists due to lack of flight for alts. I have a handful left sitting on 85 that I just can't bring myself to push to 90.
90 Gnome Warrior
My guess is Mrs. Chilton didn't tell him what was for dinner and didn't know she had to go to the store. So it's perfectly reasonable for him to 'not know'.
Community Manager
08/15/2014 03:04 PMPosted by Lyphe
Listening to your interview ... you really worried me. And I'm a fan. I'm a big fan of Warlords. But man ... your interview really put some fear into me. How do you guys have so many things that are unknown about the future of Warlords this deep into the cycle? And what do you mean when you say you will let the community decide whether you build new dungeons or scenarios? How exactly does that work and isn't that normally something that is well into development at this point? I reiterate, I'm a fan and I'm looking forward to Warlords ... but that interview definitely confused me ...

Those are fair questions, but I assure you we have a clear direction and development pipeline for Warlords of Draenor. What you're referring to is the space we leave in our development plans to respond to popular community desires, concerns, etc. Raids, and to a lesser extent dungeons, require quite a bit of advanced preparation and production. They often contain unique boss models and environments; and new tiers of content introduce a lot of player progression that takes time to properly develop and test.

Scenarios are a little different. They don't require a ton of unique assets or itemization. What Tom was suggesting is that it's possible we'll have room in Warlords content patches to develop max-level scenarios, if the community strongly feels like they're lacking from the level-100 experience once we're deeper into the expansion's lifespan.

It's hard to fully anticipate how the community at large will feel at level 100 until people get there and spend some time doing max-level content. We always want to have some degree of flexibility to react to player sentiment at that stage. A good example of this would be the daily quest design introduced in 5.0. Our intent wasn't to add severe gating and mandatory daily chores for players of all types, and whether or not we should've foreseen that, it was certainly made clear to us once a large number of players reached level 90 and were starting to dive into raid progression.

To that end, there were many elements of Mists endgame that were adjusted over time as a result of player feedback, even though we still had a solid plan for each patch to move the story forward and introduce new tiers of content. But one piece of common negative feedback we saw was concerning the lack of new 5-player dungeons in Mists patches. That was something for which we didn't plan, and couldn't sacrifice art and design resources at the time to give those players what they wanted.

I don't want to put words in Tom's mouth, but his statements indicate our team's general recognition that a lot of players want new 5-player dungeons at max level deeper in the lifespan of an expansion.

In short, we've mapped out the road ahead for Warlords and know where we're going, but some of the pit stops we make along the way will be determined by popular community feedback once everyone is on the journey with us. :)
Edited by Zarhym on 8/19/2014 2:04 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]