Metrics: Damage Done vs. DPS ?

91 Human Paladin
I've noticed a lot of talk regarding boss fights about DPS dropping, but has damage out dropped? No one seems to talk about that and I'm just curious if anyone has done some comparisons/calculations for pre- and post- patch. In dungeon scenarios I've often noticed that my dps output is lower than that of the other two dps but I usually put out more damage.

It would be dumb to argue that the damage done in one fight is not dependent on the amount of damage over time , but I'd just like to know if anyone else is experiencing highest damage done and lowest dps in groups.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
DPS is meaningless, it is for tools. What is important is damage done, if you have more damage done you are better than the other DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/09/2010 4:53 AMPosted by Kneeburner
DPS is meaningless, it is for tools. What is important is damage done, if you have more damage done you are better than the other DPS.

This really depends on the situation. I wouldn't necessarily say "Better" as some situations lend themselves to vastly improved dps depending on the number of targets/style of fight.

DPS averaged across the entirety of the fight is always a pretty solid indicator of performance despite those mechanics.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/09/2010 5:15 AMPosted by Caeless
12/09/2010 4:53 AMPosted by Kneeburner

This really depends on the situation. I wouldn't necessarily say "Better" as some situations lend themselves to vastly improved dps depending on the number of targets/style of fight.

DPS averaged across the entirety of the fight is always a pretty solid indicator of performance despite those mechanics.

So a mage running out of mana should just stop attacking instead of using scorch or something like that so he doesn't lower his DPS? That's some stupid logic right there.

Damage done is always the superior indicator, in all cases.
Edited by Kneegrinder on 12/9/2010 7:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

This ^^^^^

I cant believe the number of pug raids that I did in Wotlk where people bragged about their dps...when they pulled aggro and died 8 seconds in ( mostly arcane mages )
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warrior
lol!

1, "I do more DPS than you."

2, "I did 5 million more dmg than you."

1, "That's because the tank won't hold threat and let me die."

2, "No, it's because you don't manage your own threat."

1, "I don't need threat, I'm not the tank."

2, "Uhhh, what?"

3, "Hey 1, do you use omen?"

1, "I use Arcane Blast."
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/09/2010 8:32 AMPosted by Patriarch

This ^^^^^

I cant believe the number of pug raids that I did in Wotlk where people bragged about their dps...when they pulled aggro and died 8 seconds in ( mostly arcane mages )

In single raid or dungeon 100% yes.

But the OP is comparing runs across different instances. In those cases you have to use DPS. And even then you have to compare like for like. You can't compare a high armor boss to a low armor boss or a movement fight to tank and spank.

Damage done depends on what others around you are doing. If you do 10k DPS and the 2 other DPS do 5k DPS then on a 1,000,000 damage boss you will do 500k damage and the other 2 combined will do 500,000 damage. You have done 50% total damage.

Now in a second run with different people, if you do 10k DPS, but so do the other 2 DPS then you will each do 333k damage, or a third of the total damage.

If you compare damage across the instances you would think that the second time around you had done worse, when in fact you had stayed the same.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Figure it out. "Damage done". "Damage per second". Both are very self-explanatory. Now upvote my post. Play WoW errday!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]