Disc Priests

85 Blood Elf Priest
Okay, so, since I've hit level 85, I've personally noticed some issues with disc. Now, the reason I'm posting here is to see if it's "just me" or everyone.

Firstly, I'm going OOM basically after every pull in a normal.

Two, Penance? 4k per tick? Really? With the current HP pools? That's literally laughable.

Three, anyone else feel like a level 50 trying to heal an 85? Even a greater heal feels like a scratch of HP.

If <I'm> doing something wrong, feel free to let me know. But if everyone else is experiences this, then oh my god, I'm seriously afraid to raid. Or do anything for that matter.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Respec Holy and see how it goes. That is one piece of advice I have heard. We've been saying Disc was weak for a long time. It's not really surprising considering half the tree goes to "strengthening" shields that are pitifully small and the other half is "strengthening" some fail smite healing spec that only works when you and your group are overgeared for an instance. Whodathunkit?
Edited by Feedback on 12/9/2010 4:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
12/09/2010 4:41 AMPosted by Lynix
12/09/2010 4:39 AMPosted by Feedback
Respec Holy and see how it goes. That is one piece of advice I have heard. We've been saying Disc was weak for a long time.

Why would she respec holy if she enjoys disc? That's like asking a boomkin to go cat because it's better dps.

Cause it may not be mathematically possible as disc?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sadly, I love healing but hate Holy. Never really liked it. I love disc, I love my bubbles, but I just feel useless now. I might as well be a DPS spec, in DPS gear, healing the group. :(
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
just heal enough to keep people alive. WOTLK gave healers a bad habbit of keeping the group at 100% hp. Once you do that. use Gheal more often. Flash is useless now. I've had great success doing so, altho its likely a bit to do with my spec.
Reply Quote
Every healer has the same issues with healing strength. No heal really heals for more than around 20% of a health pool.
Reply Quote
12/09/2010 5:14 AMPosted by Lynix
12/09/2010 5:07 AMPosted by Nomnycase
just heal enough to keep people alive. WOTLK gave healers a bad habbit of keeping the group at 100% hp. Once you do that. use Gheal more often. Flash is useless now. I've had great success doing so, altho its likely a bit to do with my spec.

Everyone keeps saying this but it's not the issue... I'm hardly healing dps at all and I'm going oom stupidly fast the problem is you have to spam heals on the tank to keep him above a safe health level and you go oom so fast it's not funny. And you cant say use lower mana cost heals because they take far too long to cast... the tank generally looses about 6 - 8% HP and those low mana heals are lucky to bring him up by 3%.

You have to use Holy Light instead of Flash of Light or Divine Light, there's no way around it.

I don't know paladins so well, but as far as I know, you do something like Beacon, use Holy Shock on cooldown, use WoG at three HP, and spam Holy Light in between. Use Flash of Light and Divine Light sparingly, only in emergencies.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Had the same issue, most of the time my heals are doing as much as if i was still level 80, its just the mana cost is A LOT higher, so i have to take 2 stacks of water to every instance i do because i oom every mob.

i don't even worry about healing the rest of the group, because ill heal the tank for about 5 seconds then im scrambling for mana to keep him around 40% health. Then the group will question me as to why im constantly oom and the whole instance experience has just been a total drag for me which is a shame.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hello Kaidynne,

I found it very effective and mana efficient to avoid the smite-archangel route. They nerfed archangel too much, it's pointless (you now waste more mana casting 5 smites than the mana you get once you activate archangel).

Also, I specced into Train of Thought (ToT) because I find myself casting Gheal in between Penances. ToT allows me to have Power Infusion readily available for most fights.

Additionally, I try to keep Inner Focus on cooldown every time. It is basically a free heal, and the increased crit chance makes my Gheal go for juicy 35k heals.

I hardly find myself casting Flash Heal. I make use of Renew, Power Word: Shield, and Prayer of Mending to keep the party in the 60-70% health range (trying to top everyone off will definitely get you oom) when the tank is in no immediate danger of dying (in which I switch to Penance/Gheal). I make use of Power Word: Barrier a lot, since 2min cd isn't that big of a deal anyway (about a cast every 2 pulls).

Lastly, change your t10 armor and upgrade into cata greens/blues. This will greatly help.

I now only oom when the other people don't know what they're doing. Most mob fights end me at 40-60% mana.

Hope this helps!

Taro
Edited by Taropaste on 12/9/2010 5:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2010 5:33 AMPosted by Lynix

You have to use Holy Light instead of Flash of Light or Divine Light, there's no way around it.

I don't know paladins so well, but as far as I know, you do something like Beacon, use Holy Shock on cooldown, use WoG at three HP, and spam Holy Light in between. Use Flash of Light and Divine Light sparingly, only in emergencies.

This is exactly what I do and when I do I don't go oom but it's not enough healing to keep the tank up, so I resort to a few FoLs here and there to keep him/her at a reasonable level of health and with dps taking crap loads of damage it's too mana intensive. It is probably just dps being sped but as I said in a previous post blizzard have to allow some leeway for mistakes.

I agree, 5 mans and heroics feel way too demanding. Leave the expectations of flawless playing for raids. In a 5 man, I expect that everyone will make mistakes, and there should be some sort of leeway. I hate feeling like if I use the wrong spell, the entire group will wipe and it'll be my fault.
Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
12/09/2010 5:33 AMPosted by Lynix

This is exactly what I do and when I do I don't go oom but it's not enough healing to keep the tank up, so I resort to a few FoLs here and there to keep him/her at a reasonable level of health and with dps taking crap loads of damage it's too mana intensive. It is probably just dps being sped but as I said in a previous post blizzard have to allow some leeway for mistakes.
If you're falling behind healing the tank with Holy Light, you want to weave in Divine Light, not FoL.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks Taro for the useful post.

I had been having a hard time deciding if some of the green "upgrades" were really upgrades at all. I'll look more into it. :) Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Healing is not fun at all right now with the changes.

I like the concept behind what blizz intended with the healers, but outside of a 100% guild run, the new instances are slow (because every healer is oom at the end of damn near every pull) torture.

It is so frustrating watching your group take so much damage and not being able to even "triage"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]