Exorcism proc broken?

85 Human Paladin
Hola,

I didn't see any threads about this on the forums so I thought I would ask myself. It seems that when my art of war procs while in the process of casting exorcism (why are melee classes casting offensive abilities btw) my proc is totally canceled. like the proc was used by the exorcism I just spent 1.35 seconds casting. so not only do I have to cast exorcism but I am penalized if i happen to be casting when AOW procs. Seems bugged or broken to me. Anyone else having this problem? if so is there a reasonable explanation or is this yet another mistake that blizz needs to fix?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Why would you be casting Exo w/o the proc? Only use Exo when AoW procs otherwise you're losing DPS
90 Dwarf Paladin
The only way you can even get an AoW proc while casting exorcism is if the AoW lagged between the AA, your hitting exo, and the proc registering.

Either way I suspect that it is just set to cancel the proc once exo is cast.

And again, why on earth are you casting exo in melee range?
85 Human Paladin
I'm using it as a filler while waiting for CS and Judgment and holy wrath on CD. should I just be white hitting while waiting for my cooldowns? also I don't know why its proccing while I'm casting all I know that it often does so the problem still stands
60 Human Priest
Unless you have impeccable timing, hard casting exo between cds will still drop your dps. When you're casting, you're not white hitting, white hits proc mastery.
90 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 1:14 PMPosted by Jondoe
Unless you have impeccable timing, hard casting exo between cds will still drop your dps. When you're casting, you're not white hitting, white hits proc mastery.

Just for clarification: Only white hits also proc Art of War (which is what the post is about, not Mastery). Different proc, but same concept. It shouldn't happen.
Edited by Babyfactory on 12/9/2010 1:17 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
well my timing is more impeccable than the average bear, but i see your point. i should just white hit till other cd's are, up got it. its just kind of foreign to me to not have anything to hit while waiting on cd's. appreciate the advice.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 1:18 PMPosted by Faile
well my timing is more impeccable than the average bear, but i see your point. i should just white hit till other cd's are, up got it. its just kind of foreign to me to not have anything to hit while waiting on cd's. appreciate the advice.

I do wish the Ret priorty system was a bit less clunky. It may clear up when I hit 85, but I'm not so sure. I too dislike the idea of not pushing buttons for periods of time, waiting for CDs to expire. Ret was always an OS for me and with my guild getting more serious I thought I would get more raid time as Ret (we have plenty of tanks that have more flexible schedules than mine). I do hope that it becomes more active in the near future.
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/09/2010 1:51 PMPosted by Senas
12/09/2010 1:18 PMPosted by Faile

I do wish the Ret priorty system was a bit less clunky. It may clear up when I hit 85, but I'm not so sure. I too dislike the idea of not pushing buttons for periods of time, waiting for CDs to expire. Ret was always an OS for me and with my guild getting more serious I thought I would get more raid time as Ret (we have plenty of tanks that have more flexible schedules than mine). I do hope that it becomes more active in the near future.

Unless things have changed since I was on beta then it gets even worse. The CS, X, wait rotation which was so fun at 80 when the wait was non existent is clunkiness personified.

You can either go CS, X, Y and lose DPS, and have a bunch of 1.5s full GCD waits. Or go CS, X, wait and have lots and lots of fun happy looking around balancing out latency smelling the roses tedious boring spec breaking waits.
62 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 12:43 PMPosted by Senas
Why would you be casting Exo w/o the proc? Only use Exo when AoW procs otherwise you're losing DPS

EXORCISM is a great opener for me as soon as the Mob is in range. So it does have use outside of its more effective proc IMHO.

It does 526 Holy Damage plus 25 over 6 sec.
A CRIT if they are Undead or Demon.
At a cost of 401 Mana.

Then I hit them with JUDGEMENT, which then: "Grants you 25% of your base Mana over 10 sec. It has a 8 sec. cooldown.

...and then this is triggered:

JUDGEMENTS OF THE BOLD ( a passive Talent ) which: "grants you 3% of your base Mana over 10 sec".

JUDGEMENT also unleashes the energy of the SEAL OF INSIGHT I have up, which: "will do 136 Holy Damage to an enemy and restore 15% of the paladins base Mana".

Which means the Mana I used for the EXORCISM has been almost completely restored by the time the Target is in Melee range of me.

And I just did 526+25+136= 687 Holy Damage to the Target out of the gates, at range.
Let me say that again...687 damage, and your Mana used to cast EXORCISM will be almost fully restored by the time you are in Melee.

...and JUDGEMENT has a 8 sec. cooldown at a cost of 66 Mana. So you could pop that again after its first uses cooldown.

JUDGEMENT is a great way to help get back used Mana and if used while SEAL OF INSIGHT is up, once your in Melee, each of your Melee attacks have a chance to restore 4% base Mana and heal for 108.

In PVP I use HAMMER OF JUSTICE which has a 15 yd range and stuns the Target for 6 sec. with a 1 min. cooldown when the Target gets within its range, then do the above mentioned rotation.
Edited by Shanndorn on 12/12/2010 2:40 AM PST
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, dont cast excorcism without the pro. it does 50% less damage and isnt instant cast.
and if you cast it as an opener, then the proc shouldn't be up.
62 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 8:28 PMPosted by Farranor
Quest:

Find Farranor's Faith in Humanity and Farranor's Patience, combine them into Farranor's Resolve, and return it to Farranor on the forums.

TL;DR: amg rets hard-casting exo during combat 0_o

@Chaching@....QUEST Completed....lol

Here's a Quest for you:

-Have SEAL OF INSIGHT up.
-Attack the Target with EXORCISM as soon as they are within range. ( This is cold casting- no proc. using 401 Mana. )
-Unleash the power of that Seal with JUDGEMENT right after you use EXORCISM.

+SPOILER ALERT+

You just did 687 Holy Damage out of the gates, at range, and will restore almost all Mana you just used before you are in Melee. 526 are instant damage and 25 are done over 6 sec. and are a CRIT if the Target is Undead or a Demon.

If needed, you have your HAMMER OF JUSTICE when the Target is within it's 15 yd range which stuns the Target for 6 sec. with a 1 min. cooldown. You could use this first in the rotation. Then do the rest. ( This is best for Pvp. You do not need it when walking up on a Mob. )

Are you telling me I'm foolish for doing that?

Are you aware that JUDGEMENT only has an 8 sec. cooldown and cost 66 Mana and how much utility use you can get out of this Talent alone?

Please tell me why I would not want to do 687 Holy Damage upfront and at range, when most of the Mana used will be restored by the time I am in Melee.
Edited by Shanndorn on 12/12/2010 2:04 AM PST
62 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 7:25 PMPosted by Dewhunter
Yeah, dont cast excorcism without the pro. it does 50% less damage and isnt instant cast.
and if you cast it as an opener, then the proc shouldn't be up.

Maybe this is why the Retribution Paladin has the reputation it does.

I look at EXORCISM being cast with the Proc as doing 100% more damage. Maybe if you think of it that way, cold casting it will make more sense.
The Passive Talent, JUDGEMENTS OF THE BOLD, is triggered when you use JUDGEMENT on the Target, which then will restore most of the Mana just used.
If you are not "Bold", then I can understand why my cold casting EXORCISM seems foolish.

In PvP, I use HAMMER OF JUSTICE when the Target gets within its 15 yd range. This then gives me time to start my Auto-Attack rotation.

Why are you deliberately choosing to not do 687 Holy Damage to a Target at range, when almost all the Mana used will be restored by the time you are in Melee?
Edited by Shanndorn on 12/12/2010 2:37 AM PST
62 Human Paladin
[/quote]

[/quote]
1. /facepalm.
2. No, quest not completed. You destroyed the quest items.
3. Seal of Insight as ret: fail.
4. Casting Exo without a proc: fail. You delayed getting in melee range, if you were already in melee range then you interrupted your autoattack, and Exo without an AoW proc does half the damage of an AoW Exo.
5. Judgement: the only thing you did right.
6. Yes, I'm telling you that you are foolish for doing that. Exo didn't hit for crap without the proc, and you delayed getting into melee range so you could use other skills... such as, for example, getting an AoW proc and using a double-strength Exo.
7. OMG R U SHOOR DAT JUJMINT HAZ ONLEE 8 SEKONT COOLDUN? NO, I WAS NOT AWARE OF DIS SPEL OR WUT IT DUZ! U R SOOPER SMRTER PALIDAN DEN ME!11!11
8. See 4 and 6 for the explanation of why casting Exo without AoW as ret is a terrible idea.
9. Your "I'm a genius of innovation and all the other theorycrafters and players will never see the truth like I do" attitude sickens me. Please delete your pally. Thanks.[/quote]

...lol, hey, you made O_o eyes first, and replied with a snarky Quest for me to do.

I just posted something that works for me at my lvl, and thought it may help.

I was not aware it had less of a chance to hit at higher lvls. At my lvl, it always hits for me.

Why does SEAL OF INSIGHT for a Retribution Pally fail?

In Pvp, I hit the Target with HAMMER OF JUSTICE when they get within it's 15 yd range, which stuns them for 6 sec. Then I do the rotation you facepalmed me about.
If its just Mobs I dont use it.

With HAMMER OF JUSTICE on the Target, I have plenty of time to then also start my melee rotation of Auto-Attacks.

I look at EXORCISM when it is Proc as doing 100% more damage than when cold casting it.

I still dont see why I would not want to do this.

...and I Luv my Retribution Pally, so no I wont be deleting him. Thanks.

62 Human Paladin
...as long as we are all having fun. :)
Good Questing to you.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]