Prot gear from leveling

86 Blood Elf Paladin
Out of the 60 or so quests ive done so far, Ive only encountered one piece of gear with defensive stats on it. I have no problem with wearing ret gear while out questing as it increases the pace I can grind out mobs, but what am I suposed to do if I want to do dungeons? My T9 prot set is only 229 iLev and im sure idiot people would have a brain anurysm if I started to tank in dps gear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Collect a set, and then start queuing.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'm gonna guess by defensive stats you mean dodge and parry rating since there is always plenty of stamina on gear. Anyway, it really shouldn't be a big deal missing out on some dodge and parry especially when hitting the hit and expertise cap is typically the number one priority for tanks. Now if your getting a bunch of gear with say crit rating remember you can always reforge that to mastery to give you more block chance, which according to elitist jerks is better than dodge and parry rating.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
12/10/2010 12:03 PMPosted by Gugarac
I'm gonna guess by defensive stats you mean dodge and parry rating since there is always plenty of stamina on gear. Anyway, it really shouldn't be a big deal missing out on some dodge and parry especially when hitting the hit and expertise cap is typically the number one priority for tanks. Now if your getting a bunch of gear with say crit rating remember you can always reforge that to mastery to give you more block chance, which according to elitist jerks is better than dodge and parry rating.

Awesome, i was concerned that my dodge had dropped from 21% to like 13% and that was going to make some huge difference. I *think* im both hit and expertise capped to level 84 mobs right now but ive been trying different gear out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
There's a lot of tank rewards when you get to uldum and twilight highlands. My shield is a quest reward for doing a VERY easy quest that gets you heading to twilight highlands. There's plenty of tank quest rewards, and there's faction items also. Earthen Ring have tank pants.

Your avoidance will take a big hit just because combat ratings get much harsher. The same happens to DPS classes with their crit going from 25% down to 9%, etc. On the flip side, your stamina will skyrocket.

Also, if you're wrath tank gear is less than ICC gear, you are probably better off just using dps plate and reforging unwanted stats into something else like mastery. The stamina is normalized to be the same for the same slot, with the same ilevel, with the same quality. Even cloth, leather, mail will have the same stamina.

Ultimately you DO want to get pieces with avoidance on them, but don't be afraid to replace your wrath gear with cata greens.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
So there isn't a blacksmithing tanking set this time around that you can just buy on the AH or get a guildy to make?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Questing

Hyjal: Available at 80, many blue upgrades to anyone not in 277 gear.

Vash'jir: Get the Throne of Tides portal, eventually. I didn't see much reason to quest here.

Deepholm: At 81 (82?), there are quests for tank legs, dps weapon, and a necklace. I'm not really motivated to quest here, except that I will likely hang out here a lot to mine.

Uldum: Mother lode of quest items. Tanking gloves/shoulders, dps neck/feet. First ilevel 325 gear. Ramakhen honored gives a dps cloak. (Higher rep gear requires level 85 anyways.) I plan to quest the hell out of Uldum.

Stormwind: At 84, it looks like there's a quest before Twilight Highlands which has a good mid-level shield: Truthbreaker Shield. It's itemized for level 84, and the upgrades are from either justice points, crafted, or heroic BRC.

Twilight Highlands: Wildhammer rep is important, and there are several gear upgrades here. Rewards are ilevel 333.

Dungeons

Blackrock Caverns: For new 80 tanks, this is great stuff. If you're in 251+ gear, you probably won't get much out of here. I hear it's fast XP to farm this with a skilled group, though. There's a shield, and shoulders.

Stonecore: Many plate upgrades, for tank and dps. Tanking relic and BIS 2H sword for a while. These look great.

Vortex Pinnacle: Good quest reward, tanking hat, and a cape. I'll do it once or twice.

Lost City: Do the quest (tanking boots), run it once or twice for tanking ring/belt, but don't obsess over it. Ilevel 333.

Halls of Origination: Farm it from 83 on. Plate upgrades for both specs in almsot every slot; improved armor and stamina means that even DPS gear will likely be tanking upgrades. Ilevel 333. It looks like heroic Halls of Origination will also have lots of plate upgrades as well, so I may as well learn the place.

Grim Batol: Also Ilevel 333. Quest for tanking chest, and drops DPS upgrades. Also a hit/mastery ring which I'll love.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
@Divinebøvine Thanks, thats a nice comprehensive list of where to look.

@Dlish Theres the hardened obsidium set but i dont think i want to invest the time in farming the mats, or pay a fortune for them off the AH. Im sure it will be an awsome set for fresh 80s once mats come down in price.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
From Mount Hyjal alone, I've gathered 8 pieces of tanking gear lvl 277-288. I've still got ways to go before I've got a full set, but then I've got four more zones to complete yet. I don't doubt that I'll have a decent set of gear for norm dungeons by the time I'm finished... and then there's the rep gear you can pick up.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks a bunch for the pointers. Some of the set pieces are actually pretty cheap if you check the AH often as people are dumping as they skillup.
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Paladin
Quest in both Hyjal and Vashijr, I don't know which one you started with, but I know once you've gotten through quite a few in Vashijr, you start to pick up quite a bit of good tanking gear. Once your item level meets the minimum requirement for BRC, run that instance. That instance isn't too bad, assuming you know how to tank well, and it contains a quest reward for a nice chestpiece. Once you are at that point, just keep building up slowly. Also, check the AH, sometimes you can find good deals that will really boost your stats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]