Healing and Heroics

85 Goblin Priest
Hello everyone, i hit 85 yesterday and have what i think is decent gear, but in heroics i can't top of the tank or keep him alive without running out of mana.

what should i do to be able to heal heroics better? i am by no means a noob and know this class very well, it's just frustrating to have tanks go down before i can get my heal off, and if that heal does go off it's for a minor amount.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The first thing you should do is run some normals which can help pretty much the majority of us with gear and getting it to that next level.

After that, the second thing to do (and this is very important) is to go back into those heroics and get your face smeared because one minor mistake from a team-mate just still costed you 20% of your mana that you needed to heal Mr. Or Mrs. Tank. Then come here and join the ranks of QQ :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I think a lot of pressure is getting put back on healers now cause everyone is stuck in that wotlk mode where you can just burn your way thru content without having to stop at any point for strategy or mana, dps and tanks are going to have to change their ways cause OP heals arent going to bail them out as much anymore...so i guess my point is that the problem might not be what your doing wrong but what the group might be doing
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 8:25 PMPosted by Mooski
I think a lot of pressure is getting put back on healers now cause everyone is stuck in that wotlk mode where you can just burn your way thru content without having to stop at any point for strategy or mana, dps and tanks are going to have to change their ways cause OP heals arent going to bail them out as much anymore...so i guess my point is that the problem might not be what your doing wrong but what the group might be doing

I disagree completely. The heals haven't scaled by much if at all, so it's difficult to heal everyone including yourself without running out of mana. Maybe you as a druid you have it easy (or not so challenging), but a lot of the priests don't, including myself.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I know the feeling. I have a few 346 blue JP pieces, and a decent amount of 333 blue pieces from HoO and other dungeons/highlands quests. I have no wotlk gear left, I have only 3 greens which are 318. And heroics are still way too difficult. Im going oom so fast, and my heals look as if they don't do anything as the tanks take more damage than my divine spell.

And we all know i cant cast that more than 7-8 times before being in mana trouble.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/10/2010 8:10 PMPosted by Zaesin
Hello everyone, i hit 85 yesterday and have what i think is decent gear, but in heroics i can't top of the tank or keep him alive without running out of mana.

1) even with what WotLK was in the end - you are never suppose to go directly to heroics when you hit 85 (level cap).
2) you are missing many enchants, gems, and other additions to your gear (according to your armory).
3) you are reforging some away from mastery but than also reforging some into master, so that does not make much sense. plus moving a bunch off crit and haste to only mana regen might be hurting you.
4) is your group still playing like late-game WotLK? healer mana efficiency is now part of the tank and dps job also (in avoiding avoidable damage).
5) are your groups adequately geared?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 9:00 PMPosted by Mæve
12/10/2010 8:10 PMPosted by Zaesin

1) even with what WotLK was in the end - you are never suppose to go directly to heroics when you hit 85 (level cap).
2) you are missing many enchants, gems, and other additions to your gear (according to your armory).
3) you are reforging some away from mastery but than also reforging some into master, so that does not make much sense. plus moving a bunch off crit and haste to only mana regen might be hurting you.
4) is your group still playing like late-game WotLK? healer mana efficiency is now part of the tank and dps job also (in avoiding avoidable damage).
5) are your groups adequately geared?

Question, have you healed instances in Cataclysm yet? If so, do you find them to be challenging NOT in a bad way, but a good way? If so, can you please explain?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/10/2010 9:02 PMPosted by Anorii

Question, have you healed instances in Cataclysm yet? If so, do you find them to be challenging NOT in a bad way, but a good way? If so, can you please explain?

obviously i am not to heroics yet (not being capped) and i dont doubt the total cluster**** that i will endure when i get to that point (from what i have read in general).

but i seem to be one of the few healers who likes this new healing model that blizzard is trying to create.

i have healed Blackrock, Tide, and Vortex and the last boss of Stonecore. i find them challenging in a good way. i like having to use the right heals at the right time and having reasons to move around and avoid things. to actually play.

i know it will be frustrating to try and get other people in my parties to actually care about trying to avoid incoming damage. maybe even take talents that dont increase their dps (shock!). and i know that healers will still be blamed for a lot of crap that happens even though the outcome of the healers role is more dependent on the party then it was in the past.

but i am still optimistic about the way this has been turning out.
Edited by Mæve on 12/11/2010 2:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
It's careless group play.

Now I do agree, Healers could use a little bump... nothing crazy... but something.

With that in mind, people need to make full use of the multiple forms of CC present in the game now and DPS need to remove their heads from their asses and stop playing like it's 6 months ago.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
It took me around 5 heroics to get it. You have to use the lowest costing heals. I myself was finding later dungs hard and heroics this side of impossible. The idea is to figure it out for your class. I can't tell you what to do on yours but for resto shamans:

Healing wave is you auto go too. followed up with a rip tide now and again while keeping Earth shield on your tank. use Healing wave to keep people alive and then cap them off after the fight. Capping them off during the fight might take too much from your mana-pool.

Also, this isn't just a healer issue. Our tanks also need to learn when to pop cooldowns and learn how to stay alive. I can't tell you the amount of Prot Paladins I see that DO NOT use divine protection as well as Guardian of ancient kings and Ardent defender.

CC is also a bigger problem. From what I can see this expac they mixed Burning Crusade and preBC into one with the high points of WotLK so it's challenging, fun and demanding. Players have to re-learn their class. Once it clicks though I think raiding and doing heroics will be a lot more fun for tank and healers alike. Just remember, it's not all our fault now.

Thanks for reading, I love you.
-Cultus

Edit: Remember shaman's chain heal is worthless now. Maybe it'll scale with gear but for now just throw it off your bars.
Edited by Cultus on 12/11/2010 3:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]