Fix for healing

90 Night Elf Priest
This is a little tension strategy and planning. Nothing more.
It's fun and easy.
Clearly what you're doing is wrong.
I got no trouble at all and I'm a freakin priest. My mana regen and throughput at the moment is supposed to be a lot worse than yours according to beta theorycrafting.

Just cause you hang out in a healing forum doesn't make you hardcore or knowledgeable. This whole thing makes me laugh.

It's overwhelmingly negative right now because people are used to one model, this one is completely different and right now, it's a period of adjustment. They're not sure how to spec, gear or heal at all and there's a lot of QQ cause you can't just walk into an instance and faceroll your way through it without any foreknowledge or preparation.

This expansion isn't difficult if you'd only apply yourself a little. The amount of time you spend here arguing with me, you could have read up on the latest stuff about your class, geared some, gotten enchants and gems etc.

QQ is just easier.

Your "most" is flawed. Whatever. You sat on the forums for one night and tried a few dungeons and it's "most".
Come back in a few weeks and this will all blow over.
Edited by Sedivy on 12/11/2010 12:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/11/2010 12:42 AMPosted by Draniirn
A little tension, strategy, planning, that's great.

The problem is that if it's "a little" tense now in entry gear, it'll be right back to faceroll in a few weeks when you're geared.

The problem with WotLK wasn't the healing model, it was the ridiculous gear scaling. In the first tier alone we had 226 gear over heroic blue 200 and purple 200. In Cata we have (gasp) heroic blue 346 and epic 359/372 (although the 372 is not looking generally accessible if current hardcore guild progressions any indication). Most people are walking in with around iL 320-325 worth of gear because they gamed the iLevel system with rep rewards. In a short while you'll have gear with an average of a tier or two above that (look at mine, it's around 340 with no raid gear in a few days).
Edited by Faveokatro on 12/11/2010 12:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I recall healing at the beginning of vanilla, BC and wrath. Back when paladin healers were the strongest since their single target heals sustained so much more effectively. Druids were rarely taken for lack of ooc rez, etc etc. It feels very much like this again. I personally have no issue with working harder, relearning how to heal, as well as finding new strengths and what not.

I do have issues being told that because I am not "X" class or "Y" class, that I won't be brought to runs. I have worked hard to get as much gear reputation wise, craftable wise so that I'll be a solid healer. I realize that we are new to 5 mans with this expansion. I don't mind sweating a bit when healing, but knowing that something can't be accomplished because of you, when another class in my place would succeed, causes me issues.

I don't want an insane buff, nor do I want it to be like wrath. I like to work at my class, as a challenge is fun. But I do believe something needs to be tweaked or adjusted. Again, this is more of a rant, who knows what each week will bring.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
It's the healing philosophy.

The majority of healers enjoy feeling people back up to full. It's their sense of accomplishment. They feel they've done something. "Hey we got through this fight with everyone in the green!". It's an indication of how well you've performed.

And this isn't just for wow. Give anyone ANY game with an HP bar and the general idea is "win with a good level of HP".

When you 'win' with 1hp left, it means you win 'by the skin of your teeth'. It is thrilling, yes, by golly you almost died! That was close! Whew! But you win, yay!

But for a healer in an MMO, it means "you almost let that guy die, idiot".

As a healer I enjoy seeing topped off HP bars. Working hard through an encounter with everyone's HP bar in the green zone (70-100) makes me feel comfortable. IT gives me a sense of accomplishment and the whole "hey, I did a good job!" feeling. Winning a really hard encounter with everyone sc%#@@!% out at 10% is nerve wracking and yes, while it gives me a 'WOOOOOO! WE DID IT' rush, the 'WOOOOO' also comes with a 'whew damn that was close, almost lost somebody there, glad it's over".

So to end every single fight in cata with everyone hovering around 20%-30% just stresses me out with "damn, wtf is happening. Everyone looks like they can die at any moment, glad that was over".

I really don't enjoy healing every fight and having it end like winniong heroic Anub in TOC. That was a nerve wracking fight. I don't want to go through daily doses of those because "it's the new fad".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You'll get used to it though. It only seems nerve wracking cause you're used to seeing full bars. You'll get used to seeing them half full now and won't raise an eyebrow.
Just give it a few weeks. It's only been 4 days to break habits made over 2 years.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
That is my point: if half is the new 'full', why not just make it 'full' and save us all the stress of staring at something half complete and our 'big' heal looking 'small'? At the end of the pull we'll all compelled to push it back to full anyway =| I feel the new model, should it stay this way, is flawed and exists to just mess with people.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Sigh...you're completely missing the point of the new model. I can sit there, keep tank alive with little mana for extra 2 minutes needed to finish the encounter and sure dps will be sitting at 50% but alive.
Instead you want to top everyone off immediately cause hey looking at full bars is pretty and satisfies some inner ocd but then you end up sucking fumes half way through. Now you're totally oom, can't keep the tank up long enough for dps to bring him down, you watch him die and the group wipes.
You have limited amount of mana. It's about using it wisely to carry your group through the encounter.
Not play whackamole with moving green bars so that you can pat yourself on the back that you've filled them all up when they got empty.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/11/2010 2:22 AMPosted by Sedivy
Sigh...you're completely missing the point of the new model. I can sit there, keep tank alive with little mana for extra 2 minutes needed to finish the encounter and sure dps will be sitting at 50% but alive.
Instead you want to top everyone off immediately cause hey looking at full bars is pretty and satisfies some inner ocd but then you end up sucking fumes half way through. Now you're totally oom, can't keep the tank up long enough for dps to bring him down, you watch him die and the group wipes.
You have limited amount of mana. It's about using it wisely to carry your group through the encounter.
Not play whackamole with moving green bars so that you can pat yourself on the back that you've filled them all up when they got empty.

the role of a healer per the description in wow: "reversing damage recieved by your party". I should be able to heal the group on occasion without having the tank die.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
12/11/2010 1:21 AMPosted by Zamboozle
The majority of healers enjoy feeling people back up to full.

That's pretty much a baseless statement, at least in the context of this discussion. The majority of healers aren't used the new model at all. They're used to the WotLK model, which was pretty much the complete opposite. I doubt a lot of people are going to ultimately dislike the new model because there's something inherently bad about actually having to choose whether or not you're going to top someone off. It's just jarring because that's not a habit they developed throughout the previous expansion.

In any case, the forums represent a tiny, skewed sample of the overall community. A lot of the people that post here are in the mood to be shortsighted and to overreact.
Edited by Zambos on 12/11/2010 4:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
12/11/2010 12:45 AMPosted by Zambos
An even simpler fix: give yourself more than a few days to get used to the model.

idont want to see any pallys in here saying learn to play your calss because they are still op always where and prolly always will be you guys have it easy go reroll a disc priest and try this its no fun any more and im really close from just quiting
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The problem is that if it's "a little" tense now in entry gear, it'll be right back to faceroll in a few weeks when you're geared.

The problem with WotLK wasn't the healing model, it was the ridiculous gear scaling. In the first tier alone we had 226 gear over heroic blue 200 and purple 200. In Cata we have (gasp) heroic blue 346 and epic 359/372 (although the 372 is not looking generally accessible if current hardcore guild progressions any indication). Most people are walking in with around iL 320-325 worth of gear because they gamed the iLevel system with rep rewards. In a short while you'll have gear with an average of a tier or two above that (look at mine, it's around 340 with no raid gear in a few days).

I think several of the fight mechanics are in place to prevent it ever becoming faceroll, and that's a good thing. There are several things in heroics that will wipe the floor with us that we need to avoid... I don't think that a group will every be able to just not pay attention in Cataclysm heroics, even after we're geared up. Mistakes are costly now. I like that. Obviously a lot of us do. I don't like playing well being costly, and as other people have said, getting a stress headache from playing a video game. The other thing is don't forget that for raiding Blizz intends to have bosses scale somehow with us, too, so you'll need more hit, more haste, more crit, etc. If that ends up holding true.... then healers may never feel any sense of progression.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]