The "You must not top people off" thing.

90 Undead Priest
I'm OCD like this too.... I top off random strangers while in towns and stuff just because seeing them at 87% aggravates me.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Dont top people off = Dont overheal and dont spend mana on someone who isnt taking dmg if the tank needs it more. Otherwise if you can spare the heal go for it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't really understand how healers can *not* keep players health full.. or at least 85%+.

It happens quite frequently where a dps or tank will dip down to 10-20%. We'll they'd be dead if they were at 50-60%
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Treating health as a resource similar to mana is a really dumb idea.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Thoughts?

Yeah. The "keep everyone topped off" mentality has to go away now for two good reasons:

1) Healer mana is precious.

2) DPS can contribute to their own well-being with self-heals.

If you top off you greatly increase over-healing, which is bad. Additionally, if you top off the DPS will waste a lot of their own self healing, which is healing you don't have to do. This means that topping-off not only wastes your effort, it cheapens the possible contribution from the DPS.

Let them do their jobs. Part of that is to help you do yours by taking care of themselves.

Your job isn't to top everyone off any more. It's simply to prevent people from dying.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
HP is much higher right now than our heals are. Trying to heal 4 tanks instead of healing 1 tank + hotting and offhealing 3 dps when you get time is why people are going oom, and also why people are saying "dont top people off". They dont mean dont ever top people off, just avoid the urge to heal while you have hots rolling and procs healing and the party member isnt taking damage.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Topping off is currently impossible in heroics.

A good example is the first boss in SFK. He strangles you to 1% then does a heal to everyone.
The point of this fight is to test the healer and interrupts.
If you top everyone off using say your big heals (Flash of Light - Divine Light) you will go OOM.

Instead what the healer needs to do is get everyone to 15% and keep AoE healing every once in awhile and keep the Shadow Word: Pain off when he strangulates you or it will tick right after and kill its target.

Mana is extremely valuable to a healer now since we can go OOM fast.

This gives us two things I would like to discuss.

Firstly, if the DPS is taking to much damage it's from him pulling or from him not staying out of AoE. Honestly, when I see a DPS who cannot move out of the fire; I personally would have them dead than give my healing to them vs someone who knows how move out of the fire.

I keep people topped off the best I can with Holy Shocks to random members and Holy Lights to the Beaconed tank to spam Light of Dawn.

But when it comes down to certain fights as mentioned above then you shouldn't worry about topping off you should just worry about keeping everyone alive even if it means they're sitting at 15%.
This isn't WOTLK. This isn't BC and this certainly is not Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Replying to page one:

I should only have to top the tank off.
The rest of the group should not be taking damage.

This is what people mean by not having to top people off.
They have bandages and brains. (I hope)
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
What is with all the talk about the possibility of overhealing?

Does no one remember how to cast-cancel anymore?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
You are only responsible for people not dying, and again not dying to regular stuff, not dps getting aggro or tanks deciding to tank 5 elites. That being said, unless you are actively regenning mana (like popping plea and whacking on the boss), you should never be not casting. So yeah, you should try to keep everyone at full HP but it's not as important as it was in wrath.
Reply Quote
Sorry folks, but healing is quite fine. It is okay for folks to have less-than-full life because they are NEVER in danger of losing all that much life unavoidably. I don't have serious mana issues, though it can be quite tight, as people are still doing dumb things all the time (I do them all the time too) and dps don't seem to bandage/pot much.

For me, it is simple. On trash, if people are smart and CC I come out with 90% mana and they get full health. If they are dumb, they have little health and watch me drink. On bosses, if people play well, we come out all alive and me with very little to no mana. If they're stupid, someone dies. If they are morons, we wipe.

If healing changes tremendously I will be sad. I'm sorry you miss the facerolling easy of Wrath, but for the love of all that is challenging, quit complaining about change and adapt.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Bah to all of it!
Edited by Rauri on 12/14/2010 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I did The Lost City of Tol'vir last night normal, and ended the last boss fight with all 5 players at what seems to be 5-10% health for the last 20 to 30 seconds of the fight. I was using Gift of the nauru and a health pot, and a bandage at the end to stay up and keep some mana for the tank.

It was my first attempt at in, and it was in a pug through the LFG tool. It was a good group considering we just met each other. No complainers, no whiners, we used CC on trash, we communicated. Before each boss we made sure everyone knew the fight, and looked up the mechanics before the attempt.

It was the most fun I've had in a while.

Hey guys, guess what, learning is hard sometimes. But when you are faced with adversity and you quit, and then complain and whine about it all the way home, well what does that tell about your character?

It's a new expansion, with new tools, and new mechanics. Think about your entire box of tools, from a tanks perspective, from a DPS perspective and from a healers perspective. If you're trying new content, and the tank isn't using his CD's, and you aren't either, you are failing at your role in the group. If you aren't looking up the mechanics, you are failing.

Try learning, adapting, trial and error, effort, persistence, etc. It might even help you outside of Wow. Try it in RL too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]