Heroic Healing is fine

86 Draenei Priest
If you insist on running heroics before you're ready (i.e. - you're QQ-ing about healing on these forums), here's a few pointers.

The 329 item level is the minimum (emphasis on MINIMUM) gear level required for running heroics. If you can't keep up, gear up. There is plenty of quest items, regular instances, crafting, reputation, and auction house pieces you can acquire before complaining that you can't keep up in heroics. Cataclysm has been out for 4-5 days now; you don't have all of that yet.

There are many guilds clearing the 25-man raid content within this first week of Cataclysm. They didn't do that with just tanks and dps. They obviously figured out and adapted to these changes without much issue.

Cataclysm isn't the stack-haste-whack-a-mole that was WotLK. You have a limited mana pool, and should be using it accordingly. People should not be dying if you have mana (but you aren't going to keep the party alive healing the DPS drooling on himself while standing in the fire, nor through the boss mechanics designed to be avoided/prevented). If you are running out of mana, here are a few suggestions.

1.) Gear up from the previously mentioned non-heroics options
2.) Enchant/gem/reforge for intellect/spirit
3.) Buffs - There is a reason elixirs/flasks/well-fed and potions are in the game - use them.
4.) Look at the dps of the group, are fights lasting longer than they 'should?' (i.e. - that's a dps problem not a healer problem)

Once people are sitting in Tier 11, most of these 'mana issues' will go away.

WotLK created a lot of bad healers, and with Cataclysm, you will need to learn/relearn how to be a good healer, or you can enjoy the 45+ minute and climbing queues as a dps.

You don't hear the good healers complaining; Heroic healing is fine, deal with it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I would be very curious to see the raid composition of the guilds that are currently clearing raid content.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I love that the person that posted this is wearing 330 gear.

Some classes *SHOCK* are in a better place right now then others.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
12/11/2010 6:42 AMPosted by Psilocin

And the MINIMUM requirements to run a heroic is 329. Your point?

Some classes may be/are better off right now, but all 4 healer classes, when played by a good player, can clear heroics without a problem. There's a keyword in that sentence.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The point is you are only just over that "Minimum" yourself so it is amusing you take such an authoritative approach too instructing others on their issues. The other point is that to reach an Ilevel of 329 you pretty much have to be entirely in Ilvl 333's except for 1 or two pieces, when you reach that stage the only way to progress is to enter heroics and as it stands some of the encounters at least are very unfriendly to groups that take 1 step out of line.

Anyway the point is, seeing as for some reason you cannot fathom it, is that Ilvl 329 is when you should be entering heroics so that you can upgrade to 346's and then push into raids. There is no inbetween from 333-346, so your explanation that everyone that is having issues is only having them due to being in "minimum" gear is moot.
Edited by Cozmic on 12/11/2010 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 6:59 AMPosted by Kayleeta
12/11/2010 6:42 AMPosted by Psilocin

And the MINIMUM requirements to run a heroic is 329. Your point?

Some classes may be/are better off right now, but all 4 healer classes, when played by a good player, can clear heroics without a problem. There's a keyword in that sentence.

The game was meant to be enjoyed. When people can actually get something done, it can be enjoyed. Running out of mana in the middle of a boss fight on a normal dungeon is not fun. You may enjoy using "Heal" but we're not you. The other spells should be able to be put to more use without running out of mana so quickly. I didn't make a discipline priest to use "Heal" all day, which by the way barely heals anything at all.

I find myself using Flash Heal trying to keep the tank alive. Even on trash mobs. They hit too hard and the heals just aren't healing enough. Before you come in here preaching, speak for yourself.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
SoD
Well as a shaman im finding it to be very tough but im getting thru them with a few wipes here and there and my item lvl is a lil higher than OP but did notice lvling my priest mana isnt as much an issue on him. What i dont get is mana cost has gone up so much along with my spell power but the heals are about the same. Healing wave does about 5% of the health pool and is near worthless along with my chain heal. Bugs the hell out of me but if thats intended i guess i gotta work with it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/11/2010 7:04 AMPosted by Cozmic
The point is you are only just over that "Minimum" yourself so it is amusing you take such an authoritative approach too instructing others on their issues. The other point is that to reach an Ilevel of 329 you pretty much have to be entirely in Ilvl 333's except for 1 or two pieces, when you reach that stage the only way to progress is to enter heroics and as it stands some of the encounters at least are very unfriendly to groups that take 1 step out of line.

Anyway the point is, seeing as for some reason you cannot fathom it, is that Ilvl 329 is when you should be entering heroics so that you can upgrade to 346's and then push into raids. There is no inbetween from 333-346, so your explanation that everyone that is having issues is only having them due to being in "minimum" gear is moot.

Ding Ding Ding, Winner!

Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
My problem lies with the time it takes to progress though the normal dungeons, as someone who uses the lfd tool almost exclusively. I have no doubt that in a good guild healing would be no problem at all. I don't have that kind of time to invest in this game at this point in my life, the lfd tool gave me something to do that I enjoyed and now I certainly do not enjoy it. I'm sure time will fix it but as for now its painful and the exact opposite of fun, I am punished for others mistakes that are now unforgivable and that seems a little extreme to me.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
12/11/2010 7:10 AMPosted by Anorii

The game was meant to be enjoyed. When people can actually get something done, it can be enjoyed. Running out of mana in the middle of a boss fight on a normal dungeon is not fun. You may enjoy using "Heal" but we're not you. The other spells should be able to be put to more use without running out of mana so quickly. I didn't make a discipline priest to use "Heal" all day, which by the way barely heals anything at all.

I find myself using Flash Heal trying to keep the tank alive. Even on trash mobs. They hit too hard and the heals just aren't healing enough. Before you come in here preaching, speak for yourself.

So because you can't spam the spell you want to spam the game isnt fun? Your logic seems terrible sir. You have to use the right spells at the right times, if you are using FH either you have fallen behind on the tank due to poor heal selection or your tank isnt using his mitigation well enough. 5 mans now require a grp effort on everyone's part to complete the encounters.... its not your job to keep people up through standing in fire but it is your job to manage your mana well enough to handle the encounter.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You seemed to jump my point just to have a smart come-back. I refuse to read after the first line of your paragraph, because I know what I said made sense. In a boss fight, heals are spammed. If heals aren't spammed, people die. If people die, boss fight = unsuccessful. Period.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
12/11/2010 7:28 AMPosted by Anorii
In a boss fight, heals are spammed. If heals aren't spammed, people die. If people die, boss fight = unsuccessful. Period.

You're doing it wrong!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
People just need a lot, A LOT, more time with this new healing (AND NEW GAME) design. Most people have literally had four days of practice with this, they have no idea what they're doing as far as healing goes, most tanks had a lot of their !%%# reworked so they don't know what they're doing, dps are stuck in a mindset that isn't too pretty, and everyone seems convinced you MUST top off a tank in order to keep it alive.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I get a new game, I don't expect to have it mastered and completely finished with its more difficult content within two days of buying the game. I personally prefer my games to have some challenge. I feel that people are really stuck on the fact that in Wrath, you could set foot into a Heroic and literally a) have no idea what was going on and b) randomly spaz out until the dungeon was finished, and actually succeed. That is not how Heroics are right now. They are difficult, because they are Heroics! If you are having issues in normal dungeons, continue playing normal dungeons, don't set foot into a heroic just because your ilvl says you can go there. You are not ready and have not adjusted to the new healing system, the new game that you have bought.

It gets better, I know it does. When I got into beta and hopped my little healing butt over to dungeons, I nearly !%%# a brick. I thought it was the end of the world. I so was not prepared to deal with what they threw at me. But I gave it time, kept playing, got more pieces of gear, I was able to enchant/gem those pieces, and slowly (but surely) not only did the players on Beta adjust to the new game, but so did I.

I'm not a hardcore serious player, I'm not the best healer to ever set foot on this planet... but I don't give up and throw a fit when I feel like something is too hard, either. Seriously, you've been playing for four (best case scenario) days now at 85... calm. Down. It's a GOOD THING people are having problems with HEROICS.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 7:04 AMPosted by Cozmic

Kayleeta, resort to that quote.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 7:32 AMPosted by Sunarra
People just need a lot, A LOT, more time with this new healing (AND NEW GAME) design.

It sometimes takes a very short period of time to find when something is not right. So you think that the amount being healed by flash heal and greater heal at 85 is right? It doesn't need to be boosted at all?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
12/11/2010 7:25 AMPosted by Pyridoxine

Here I'll organize my statements to match yours 1 at a time.

When people can actually get something done, it can be enjoyed. Running out of mana in the middle of a boss fight on a normal dungeon is not fun

5 mans now require a grp effort on everyone's part to complete the encounters....

I didn't make a discipline priest to use "Heal" all day

So because you can't spam the spell you want to spam the game isnt fun? Your logic seems terrible sir
I find myself using Flash Heal trying to keep the tank alive. Even on trash mobs. They hit too hard and the heals just aren't healing enough

if you are using FH either you have fallen behind on the tank due to poor heal selection or your tank isnt using his mitigation well enough
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Priest
Most of the people having issues with the 'minimum' gear are doing something wrong. If 329 is too low for them, then they can further increase the ilvl through tradeskills or reputations before entering heroics. The 'good' healers aren't having much problem with gearing up and healing, but the not-as-good healers have to put in some extra effort to see the same results.

The problem I see with healers right now are
1) They don't know how to heal with the changes, stuck on the WotLK mindsets
2) They're not augmenting their abilities; I don't see the QQ posts mentioning wasting elixirs/flasks/potions on all these 'pointlessly difficult' boss fights. Or even coordinating cooldowns with the party, wait we can talk to each other?
3) Crowd Control. Fixes any trash problems.
4) The party members (not the healer) are doing something wrong, mostly by taking unnecessary damage or dying to a boss mechanic.

A healer can fix 1 and 2, convince people to use 3, but has to deal with 4 until its beaten into the other party members.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I am so glad you find absolutely nothing wrong with the healing system. Yay for you, let's all have cake.

There's nothing anyone can say that will change my opinion and the few thousand others that share the same one. You enjoy using a heal that barely heals anything, that's totally fine.

I didn't make a Discipline Priest to have all of these spells to simply look at. So pretty. Toooooooo cautious because I'll run out of mana, and when I neglect to use them, we have many wipes. When I do use them, we STILL have many wipes due to no mana.

I'm done debating. You guys enjoy it? Kudos.

Peace.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2010 7:46 AMPosted by Anorii
because I'll run out of mana,
Because we'll wipe is what I meant to say.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]