Tired of being abused

85 Human Paladin
Whether or not the change to healing accomplished the stated goals of making healing more strategic and interesting may be a topic of debate. One thing's absolutely certain though, the change has made healers into punching bags for pugs.

First of all, we can no longer compensate for poor play with outstanding healing, it's just mathematically impossible. While the readers of this subforum may be all to aware of that the rest of the WoW population seems to think that heroics should still be facerolls.

Secondly, the change has put healers in the position of being "Cataclysm dungeoning instructors" for all intents and purposes. Unfortunately, polite requests for mana breaks, cc and avoiding damage gets perceived as whining or lecturing.

I'm getting really tired of every heroic pug run devolving into an argument with a tank or dps who thinks that I should be able to heal through everything and anything that a dungeon throws at them.

For the most part it's the behavior of tanks and dps that have to change but the only feedback mechanism to facilitate that change is healers which makes us the target of a lot of abuse.

Add to that the fact that we're all in the process of adjusting to the new paradigm and using the dungeon finder starts to seem pretty masochistic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's true, even though I've been able to heal fine and for the most part I enjoy it, I can't correct mistakes like I use to be able to. So when the dps or the tanks especially are unable to avoid the obvious damage while playing in a pug this usually resulted in me getting kicked from the group even after just one wipe.

Blizzard has made healing much more challenging but when you are using the lfg as a healer you are expected to be able to correct all the mistakes of the group. If I have to spam fol till I go oom something is very wrong, but the mentality of the dps or tanks hasn't really changed that much in a pug it's "gogogo" "top me off" "why didn't you heal me?"

In pugs I haven't seen (for the most part) the mentality change for dps of the tanks, because they still aren't use to watching their health bars.
Edited by Kafkah on 12/12/2010 2:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
After a couple of wipes I asked my tank if they had heared about CC. He said, "it's only three mobs." I said "ok, good luck," and then left.

Yes, it's a little bit rude to duck out like that. On the other hand, I bet he'll be more willing to CC next time.
Edited by Ramses on 12/12/2010 2:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/12/2010 2:42 AMPosted by Kafkah
It's true, even though I've been able to heal fine and for the most part I enjoy it, I can't correct mistakes like I use to be able to. So when the dps or the tanks especially are unable to avoid the obvious damage while playing in a pug this usually resulted in me getting kicked from the group even after just one wipe.

Blizzard has made healing much more challenging but when you are using the lfg as a healer you are expected to be able to correct all the mistakes of the group. If I have to spam fol till I go oom something is very wrong, but the mentality of the dps or tanks hasn't really changed that much in a pug it's "gogogo" "top me off" "why didn't you heal me?"

In pugs I haven't seen (for the most part) the mentality change for dps of the tanks, because they still aren't use to watching their health bars.

The issue is they increased the amount of mana it takes for a heal however they left the spell potency the same as if we were level 80. Some healing classes the ones with direct heals have it a little better then one who has to rely mostly on hots. While a pally can heal for 15-20k crit.. I heal for 10k w/ a hot when that doesn't dent the amount of damage that goes on in these heroics.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/12/2010 1:12 AMPosted by Prothead
Whether or not the change to healing accomplished the stated goals of making healing more strategic and interesting may be a topic of debate. One thing's absolutely certain though, the change has made healers into punching bags for pugs.

First of all, we can no longer compensate for poor play with outstanding healing, it's just mathematically impossible. While the readers of this subforum may be all to aware of that the rest of the WoW population seems to think that heroics should still be facerolls.

Secondly, the change has put healers in the position of being "Cataclysm dungeoning instructors" for all intents and purposes. Unfortunately, polite requests for mana breaks, cc and avoiding damage gets perceived as whining or lecturing.

I'm getting really tired of every heroic pug run devolving into an argument with a tank or dps who thinks that I should be able to heal through everything and anything that a dungeon throws at them.

For the most part it's the behavior of tanks and dps that have to change but the only feedback mechanism to facilitate that change is healers which makes us the target of a lot of abuse.

Add to that the fact that we're all in the process of adjusting to the new paradigm and using the dungeon finder starts to seem pretty masochistic.

This is pretty much spot on... And now the new thing I'm seeing is, you get these full guild groups where they don't have a healer and they que up and get you, size you up before the run even starts, and then all teleport out of the dungeon and say stupid things like "Back in 15 minutes, gotta eat lunch" or say nothing and leave you sitting there in the dungeon wondering "wtf is going on?" hoping you will eventually you just leave (and of course you are) and they que for another healer.

I've pretty much wasted 4 days of my life trying to run heroics... You cant get nothing done as a healer right now, the kiddies already have ridiculously high expectations after a week (didn't see that coming?) I had ONE group that was awesome and we ran a whole bunch of stuff and cleared a few heroics until they decided to restart the servers and that disbanded the group.. Didn't get one piece of gear..

Anywho... Its not so much the healing, its really all th bad players that don't want to do anything but tunnel vision dps. I asked one group why they weren't trying to interrupt the lightning bolts on those elementals in the uldam instance.. i got a "why?" and another guy that says "please stop talking"

Its the people that make this game not very fun... the OP is spot on, on everything... just too many irrational kiddies playing this game.
Edited by Cruzcontrol on 12/12/2010 3:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/12/2010 3:11 AMPosted by Twîstedkìtty
The issue is they increased the amount of mana it takes for a heal however they left the spell potency the same as if we were level 80. Some healing classes the ones with direct heals have it a little better then one who has to rely mostly on hots. While a pally can heal for 15-20k crit.. I heal for 10k w/ a hot when that doesn't dent the amount of damage that goes on in these heroics.

When I start seeing a lot of 15-20k crits I'll let you know. Hl usually heals for 7k-8k and my fol (6.3k mana) heals for 11-13k non crit. It's nice when I get a crit, but it doesn't happen much.

Paladins go oom pretty fast when people are playing poorly and that usually ends in a wipe.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I really feel for you guys. I healed for the first ~5 years of WoW and saw some ups and downs, but nothing like this. I have a feeling that in a few months, the way things are (DPS dies more often, especially if they make mistakes) will be more "the norm," and healers may get less of the blame.

My advice: Install Acheron (or similar) and use it liberally to paste the last few lines of a person's death log to party chat if they try to blame you for anything. If they were taking damage they could have avoided, you can't be blamed by any reasonable person.

There shouldn't be any mystery to deaths. It either was your fault or wasn't but you shouldn't be getting undue blame for the latter. Arm yourself with information and use it to protect your reputations! :D
Edited by Blynky on 12/12/2010 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
As an MVP, I'm probably supposed to say things like "Be polite and understanding of those in your group. If people are rude or mean to you, then don't take it personally and just let it slide."

As a healer though, I also know the right thing is probably closer to "Screw em. Life is too short to hang around with jerks. If they won't listen, don't just stay there wiping. Bail on em."
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Pretend you'll heal again, make sure they all die first, and ask them. "Remember who has your life at their hands?"

If they're still being a jerk, simply leave.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Dont leave the group just teleport out and wait for them to kick you - no reason you should get a 30 min debuff because they are retards!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Run with your guild until the majority of the community finally gets that Heroics will be difficult from now on.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
12/12/2010 5:09 AMPosted by Vìndictus
Run with your guild until the majority of the community finally gets that Heroics will be difficult from now on.

Shouldn't have to run with a guild.... What about the people who are not in guilds?

That is everyones solution to this problem when its not a solution at all.

Nothing in this game says you HAVE to be in a guild.

If blizz didnt want people interacting on a server wide level they would have never put in LFG.

Healing is not what it should be for people being 85.

We do not want a nerf in content by any means.. We want to heal like we are 85.. not 80..
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
12/12/2010 5:23 AMPosted by Twîstedkìtty

Shouldn't have to run with a guild.... What about the people who are not in guilds?

If blizz didnt want people interacting on a server wide level they would have never put in LFG.

We do not want a nerf in content by any means.. We want to heal like we are 85.. not 80..

The whole "wait a month" thing is ridiculous anyway. The game should be fun now, not in a month. :\
Edited by Melandris on 12/12/2010 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
This OP's thread is spot on.

I have healed many heroics in WotLK and it's always been like this.

Blizzard should have not did this to healers but instead discouraged dps by making every boss have a 2min hard enrage timer. That way bad dps would be discouraged and not healers.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/12/2010 5:23 AMPosted by Twîstedkìtty

You're correct. You're not required to be in a guild. However, this is an MMorpg. The first letters of that stand from MASSIVELY MULTI-PLAYER. If you don't want to be in a guild that's fine. You have more independence and are beholden to none.

However you lose some advantages too, like actually having people that you know are reliable to run with. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

OH WAIT! You can! Make and populate a friends list of people you enjoy running with!

Who knew it was that easy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]