Healing throughput too low

1 Undead Warrior
So, people say that healing is more fun now because you actually have to think about going OOM, like healers did in Vanilla. Frankly, I agree with that philosophy, but my only gripe with healing currently is how little the BIG / EXPENSIVE heals' throughputs are.

For instance, flash of light heals for what? 15k? A buffed tank will have nearly 150k health. That's 10% health healed for a spell that costs nearly 10% of total mana. That means I'll be OOM after I top the tank off from zero. Now, I'm not speaking strictly for Paladins because I know other healers have the same issues with their "expensive, emergency" healers having tiny throughput.

If you take time to remember what healing was like in Vanilla, it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. My memory is quite vague, but I'm sure the "expensive" heals didn't heal for measly 10% of total health.

Also, if you look at it from the PVP perspective, this new change totally kills healers. It's either you OOM after 15 seconds, or you sit there casting 3 second heals, virtually asking for interrupts. For both PvP and PvE's sake, the healing throughput, at least for the "emergency" heals, need to be buffed a little; it's pretty ridiculous as is.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Healing isn't fun because you go OOM.

Healing is fun because you have the tools to go through encounters without going OOM.

Also, the content is balanced around the low healing throughput. Even the hardest-hitting raid bosses I've seen only four or five-shot tanks, and that's with 2-3 tank damage debuffs up in the fight (Cho'gall).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Personally, I think they need to up healing throughput up a bit to be at a decent level and make healing less stressful. Maybe up the mana regen, lower mana costs, or up the amount all heals heal for.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
12/13/2010 11:27 AMPosted by Philescius
Personally, I think they need to up healing throughput up a bit to be at a decent level and make healing less stressful. Maybe up the mana regen, lower mana costs, or up the amount all heals heal for.

That can be accomplished by healing the content in appropriate gear, something most of the forum complainers here do not attempt.

Looking at your armory, you're someone who is heroic ready. You've enchanted stuff, have ilvl333 or crafted items close to it, and are gemmed and ready to go.

Most people I see complaining (the more average skilled folk who are struggling with the changes) are trying to jump right into heroics just like WotLK.

And of course, if they get matched with undergeared dps or tanks, it just exacerbates the issue.
Edited by Eloderung on 12/13/2010 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
12/13/2010 11:18 AMPosted by Eloderung

Healing is fun because you have the tools to go through encounters without going OOM.

Also, the content is balanced around the low healing throughput. Even the hardest-hitting raid bosses I've seen only four or five-shot tanks, and that's with 2-3 tank damage debuffs up in the fight (Cho'gall).

That's true, but what about PvP? Right now, it's pretty hard to survive 1 DPS on you. Healers in BGs are free kills atm.

inb4 "resilience will fix it lolol"

Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
12/13/2010 11:33 AMPosted by Rlyboney
12/13/2010 11:18 AMPosted by Eloderung

That's true, but what about PvP? Right now, it's pretty hard to survive 1 DPS on you. Healers in BGs are free kills atm.

inb4 "resilience will fix it lolol"

It doesn't seem bad now for me but paladins are still quite powerful in PvP despite the nerfs. We'll have to see how it goes.

The big thing I've noticed about PvP so far is that even though I'm fragile, the enemy's dps and enemy healers are just as fragile as I and my teammates are. In Wrath healers won battles by keeping everyone alive for obscene amounts of time. In Cataclysm, if you even channel a few ten-thousand hit points into an ally, that can win the battle.

Healers can't really fend for themselves, but in group play you have healers and dps versus healers and dps.

I'm sure if my PvP opponents are anything like LFD PUG dps, however, that would change things...
Edited by Eloderung on 12/13/2010 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
12/13/2010 11:28 AMPosted by Eloderung
12/13/2010 11:27 AMPosted by Philescius

That can be accomplished by healing the content in appropriate gear, something most of the forum complainers here do not attempt.

Looking at your armory, you're someone who is heroic ready. You've enchanted stuff, have ilvl333 or crafted items close to it, and are gemmed and ready to go.

Most people I see complaining (the more average skilled folk who are struggling with the changes) are trying to jump right into heroics just like WotLK.

And of course, if they get matched with undergeared dps or tanks, it just exacerbates the issue.

THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
12/13/2010 11:35 AMPosted by Eloderung

Healers can't really fend for themselves, but in group play you have healers and dps versus healers and dps.

But that's the problem I have. Healers SHOULD be able to take on one dps. Blizzard themselves said a healer should stand up to one easily until they go oom. That's not the case right now. Healers are TOO fragile. Yeah, yeah I know res is supposed to fix it. So maybe we should wait until everyone is more geared before judging....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2010 11:28 AMPosted by Eloderung

This. Besides, OP, I find that I can double flash heal, greater heal and then serenity a tank from low to full without killing my mana too much provided: The DPS aren't taking damage they shouldnt or trying to tank because they pulled aggro, the DPS are properly CCing AND (this is a big one) maintaining their CC. That means resheeping, blinding a sap that pops and alerting the group, retrapping, a DK chaining a loose CC that they see has broken.

I absolutely love that the groups wipe does not fall on me now, it falls on every single person. Interrupts, proper CC, get out of the fire...its so much fun right now. I even want to macro my leap of faith to say, "Bring your retarded *** over here, stop standing in ****."..soooo much fun. Seriously 10/10 for this healing experience.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
...edit b/c my 4yr old son posted on the forums! oops!
Edited by Cinner on 1/7/2011 6:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

Gear is fine, still not really having fun. I did like Halfus Wyrmbreaker because I ACTUALLY GOT TO AOE HEAL but anything I have to single target heal on (heroics mostly) is so painfully boring. I like fast AOE healing not this constant cast slow single target heals watch the HP bar not go up at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]