Resto Druids - The Little Man

85 Tauren Druid
Ok, I've been doing a bunch of healing in Cataclysm heroics and I'm convinced druids are broken. Why and how to fix?

Our largest heal barely touches a tanks HP - Even in full heroic gear. 17k out of 130k? Someone takes a lot of damage and you need to get them up to at least half HP? Well you're out of luck, you would have to cast a HoT, then Healing touch, which has now drained your mana pool (10k mana in total, which is about ~13%) and you've wasted 3.5 seconds, now the tank has died while you were healing a dying DPS. I don't know how many times I've had Rejuv, Regrowth, Lifebloom(3), and been casting Healing Touch and the bar is barely moving close to 50%. Solution? Make our direct heals larger to fit in line so we can heal and actually see bar move.

Our "Quick Fast Inefficient" heal is too small. You know, that heal that is meant for "OH S***" moments? Well that heals for about 12k with a wee 5 second HoT for 800 a tick. Or, if you already have a HoT on the target (never mind that we can't keep them on multiple people now or we'll OOM) then you can SM and get 12k with 10 seconds or so of 700 HoT ticks, but only if they stay in the area. On players that have 100k HP. This doesn't even dent the health pool. We have no rescue heal. Someone's dying? Well we have to HoT them, then SM them, maybe Rejuv. By this time, they're dead. We have no rescue heal and we need one.

Regen, this is an issue across all classes, but druids are hit especially hard. When you are forced to look at someone and say, "Sorry, I have to let you die because it would be too much mana to save you" Someone get thrown against a wall by a boss ability? Well it would probably run us OOM if I saved you. At least Shamans can get mana back by casting a lighting bolt any time they need. Druids? We get a 3 min cooldown for 20% We need way to actively get mana back during lulls in combat

AoE Damage vs. Single Target damage. The largest issue that I've noticed with druid healing is that we can't really keep up if the tank is getting pummeled 1v1 because HoTs with a tiny (We don't have anything other than tiny) direct heal don't cut it anymore. But we don't have the mana pool for healing people when everyone gets hit with damage. People in my heroics are usually sitting at 20% life because I don't have the mana to keep them at 50%. I cannot heal them otherwise I'll run out of mana in 30 seconds or less. If a boss ability comes during this time, I just have to cross my fingers and hope.

In short, I'm running back to my other healing classes because druids really can't heal instances anymore. Changes need to be made to the amount of damage being dished out overall, or changes to heals need to be made. I realize that Blizzard wanted to make the game harder, but these aren't heroics. These are 5 man raids that you can't get the gear for.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You might want to do research before you post. Sadly, you'll probably end up rerolling, get to 85 when everyone's already in half raid gear and think other classes are better in pve.

Or maybe you just need a group that minimizes damage taken, understands how to CC, how to deal with boss mechanics and pump out great dps.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well said Sir Tauren.
Edited by Arlyanne on 12/9/2010 3:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Although I've had a bit of problems with mana when having to heal bad DPS, just keeping rejuv, 3xLB and spamming nourish does the job most of the time.

The tank never gets topped off, but he doesn't die either.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Why do people think that everyone must be at 100% health 100% of the time? Get it out of your heads and you will have an easier time healing. I still cast nourish if the tank is at 50% health. It's all about knowing WHEN he's going to take spike damage and using CDs at the appropriate times. Druids are fine right now.
Reply Quote
65 Troll Priest
Unhappily mana became something we hate at all costs, it didnt became something "fun", but something that limits us to use all the cool spells, to have enough mana we have to use all looong casting time boring spells that heals for nothing, and spend golds and golds on mana drinks, stop drinking every fight..... and be guilty after every pull for the group being dead.

And on PvP, "oh look, a healer!!! Let's go, free honor!!!!"
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/09/2010 4:12 AMPosted by Leafs
Why do people think that everyone must be at 100% health 100% of the time? Get it out of your heads and you will have an easier time healing. I still cast nourish if the tank is at 50% health. It's all about knowing WHEN he's going to take spike damage and using CDs at the appropriate times. Druids are fine right now.

I believe all of you are incorrect in thinking it won't be changed. Do not forget that blizzard is a business, and have one thing on their minds. Money. So would you think that they would go for the majority of casuals (Players that spend the most money and are in more abundance, thus the name majority) or the minors of the elite (World 1st - 1000st guilds, who takes up the challenge to have overall better players in the guild and are the elitist)?? Well if you didn't get the clues from the celestial mount or the 10 or so in game pets, or all the nifty abilities you can do with characters now a days, blizzard cares only of how much money they bring in, and will please only those that brings in that money.

Well like you all did for this fella at the end of your statements.

If I would have guessed for the lack of knowledge of this game, I would say you all just bought this game yesterday.
Edited by Proudlol on 12/9/2010 5:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think the main issue, as being a healer, is once we are out, we are out. Melee dps still get some sort of auto-attack, ranged classes have wands, hunters have auto-shoot. Healers dont have an auto heal. I think it would be awesome if each healing class had some sort of auto-heal aura that didn't heal for much, but at least pulsed out some healing. Maybe a healing stream totem type ability for all healer classes?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
healing is miserable right now, i got some heroics under my belt and it is just absolutely miserable

they changed how we heal, relearning the class and finding out it's completely different to what we're used to is terrible

i remember doing heroics in the burning crusade, sure it was very hard at first as well, but healers didn't go oom immediately after 1 hiccup
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
94 Night Elf Druid
Dear Anneleas - According to the Armory, here are some things you could improve to help out:

1 Empty Major Glyph slot
9 Unenchanted items
2 Pieces of cloth (you lost 5% int from equipping cloth)
1 crappy green & 1 ICC epic put you at 327 average ilevel equipped (below the 332 average ilevel you should have for heroics)

You should also drop malfurion's gift and take 2 points in Furor to boost the size of your mana pool. Furor is way more helpful right now, because your mana pool is 15% smaller than it could be (10% from Furor and 5% from Leather specialization). (Leave the 3 pts in moonglow, as moonglow is better than Furor.)

You can't just jump into heroics with crappy unenchanted gear and expect everything to be easy.

<3 Lissanna, Beta tester and Resto druid guide writer.
Reply Quote
23 Night Elf Druid
Agreed, druids need help.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
94 Night Elf Druid
Dear Peddi -
You have a 329 average ilevel equipped according to your armory (below the 333 recommended for heroics).

9 unenchanted items
6 items you could reforge to add spirit
3 bad green items you could replace with blues

Your spec seems to be okay. Heroics are hard because you are still slightly undergeared.

<3 Lissanna, Beta tester and Resto druid guide writer.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
94 Night Elf Druid
12/09/2010 5:52 AMPosted by Jotch
I think the main issue, as being a healer, is once we are out, we are out. Melee dps still get some sort of auto-attack, ranged classes have wands, hunters have auto-shoot. Healers dont have an auto heal. I think it would be awesome if each healing class had some sort of auto-heal aura that didn't heal for much, but at least pulsed out some healing. Maybe a healing stream totem type ability for all healer classes?

That is what your efficient heal is supposed to be once you hit about 5% mana - if you just use your efficient heal when you drop super low on mana, you still have an auto-attack (ie. on beta, once i hit 5% mana, I'd just keep up Lifebloom & nourish). Druids need LB for the replenishment effect, and LB is actually chaper than nourish, then I'd just use nourish on the tank and let the DPS know they were on their own.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Dear Lissanna:
There are 11-12 Million people playing this game. just because you don't have a problem with it, does not mean it isn't broken.
some snarky sign off line
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
12/09/2010 9:33 AMPosted by Mewz
Dear Lissanna:
There are 11-12 Million people playing this game. just because you don't have a problem with it, does not mean it isn't broken.

I love you.

Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
12/09/2010 9:33 AMPosted by Mewz
Dear Lissanna:

She's just trying to help people who say they're having a hard time.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid

In short, I'm running back to my other healing classes because druids really can't heal instances anymore. Changes need to be made to the amount of damage being dished out overall, or changes to heals need to be made. I realize that Blizzard wanted to make the game harder, but these aren't heroics. These are 5 man raids that you can't get the gear for.

I don't think druids are broken. The play style for a five man encounter has changed significantly. I was able to heal a couple heroics yesterday. (In my current lower item level gear, mostly unenchanted). It was a challenge. Heroics take a lot of team coordination. (I wouldn't suggest pugging yet) I found the experience very enjoyable.

What I am finding is that for trash pulls, I need to sit and drink after each pull while the rest of the group waits for me. (EVERY PULL) From what I understand the problem for healers is universal. This was not as pronounced at previous levels. I am currently flasking for spirit, using food buffs, and using at least one mana regen trinket. I never let replenishment drop.

I am hoping it will self correct with more gear. I am guessing our regen is tuned for raiding.

Reply Quote
80 Tauren Priest
Druids think druids heal are broken
Priests think priest heals are broken
Pallies think pally heals are broken
Shaman think shaman heals are broken

Every healer is dealing with these adjustments, it's not just your healing class.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]