Leveling as prot Feasable?

82 Blood Elf Paladin
So i swore to myself that i wouldnt play Cata because i think most of the changes are rather dumb but i caved in today and bought it. Reading the forums puts Ret as a retarded spec and i have no shockadin gear, im mostly geared out in prot gear from ICC. Would it be a smarter choice for me to stick with Prot and level? I know the first thought is "Try both specs and see what works better" but im just wanting a few opinions thanks

Khas
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
And i once found a thread that posted the top builds for Ret and Prot but ic ant seem to find it atm considering nothing is stickied, anyone here know the thread?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
yes very possible. it might take a lil longer but the survivability + instant dungeon queue makes up for that.

i dont know the thread you are talking about but i mainly level prot. I kill a lot quicker as ret but i just like prot and tanking.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin
you have got to stop taking the wow forums so seriously.

Ret has problems in pvp, that is mostly due to dispels/mobility/mechanics. In pve they arent nearly as bad. They fixed a major bug with the mastery, and its more smooth though still conflicting.

The point is, Ret is still faster then prot, and not nearly as bad as every scrub complains about in pve. People just arent used to the fact the spec requires a lot of attention now, and its no longer just click/faceroll. The retards call it a retarded spec for not being so easily retarded anymore, got it? :P

you get a ton of ret gear just questing, if you want to go ret then do it. You wont be making any terrible decisions. If you want to stay prot, go for it too, instant tank ques are a nice break from questing. Dual spec and go both...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree, i think that leveling as prot is just fine. i think scurrychurry hit it on the head: survivability. i have doinked around a little bit the last couple on cata and found that i can kill mobs as quick as in ret form.

and yes, the instant que for random dungeons is also nice!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Leveling as prot is in my opinion the only way to go in Cata if you're questing. Ret gets steamrolled by the mobs and prot offers more survivability. Plus if you're on a pvp server you can fight off the horde fairly well. I haven't had too much trouble with 1v1's.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm leveling as prot :) so far so good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Totally Feasable, and not much slower if at all because you never die and have zero downtime.

If you're going to spec prot for leveling, i suggest you get the talents that buff up Word of Glory; you don't need to but it helps.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin
holy Jesus cow...

ret has 0 downtime as well, why do people keep claiming that lol. Ret is leaps and bounds faster, you can pull 4-5 mobs as ret and leave almost topped off. Use seal of insight, use WoG intelligently...its not hard.

If your dieing as any spec while leveling you either A.) got ganked, B.) Doing it wrong C.) Pulled something you shouldnt have.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I agree.....buy a dog
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 11:02 AMPosted by Brutorious
ret has 0 downtime as well, why do people keep claiming that lol. Ret is leaps and bounds faster, you can pull 4-5 mobs as ret and leave almost topped off. Use seal of insight, use WoG intelligently...its not hard.

If your dieing as any spec while leveling you either A.) got ganked, B.) Doing it wrong C.) Pulled something you shouldnt have.

Preach it brother.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Good luck pulling 4-5 mobs and killing them easily as ret in Uldum and TH. Mobs hit for 3k each...

*edit* As for the OP, I levelled as ret but I'd say prot is perfectly fine. You just kill stuff slower.
Edited by Aimicata on 12/9/2010 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
My prot pally is around level 72 and I can kill groups of mobs in 10 seconds or so. Not sure how that would apply to 80+ but I'm finding that leveling as prot is super fast.
Reply Quote
In fairness, I've only ever been Prot, so I can't say whether it's better or worse than the other specs. I can say leveling as Prot is very easy. I find it hard to believe things die much faster as any other spec. I usually build 3 Holy Power on 1 mob, then 2 shot the next one with AS/ShoR. If I can pull a whole pack, things die even faster.

I haven't come across any group quests yet, but I know that was always the big selling point for leveling as Prot in Wrath. While most of my other classes couldn't handle the 5 man quests, my Prot pally did them solo with ease.

I really don't think for questing is makes a heck of a lot of difference, but Prot is definitely viable for leveling.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i'm working my way through twilight highlands right now and i'm still able to round up a group of 3-4 mobs and aoe them down with out much issue.

i leveled as ret through wrath but i think for cata prot is the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I leveled 1 to 80 as Protection. My backup is Holy just cause I was trying some healing in dungeons. But I plan on staying prot through 85.

Lots of fun in my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I went prot with pvp dps gear had a blast
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/09/2010 11:02 AMPosted by Brutorious
holy Jesus cow...

LOL Tauren pally joke.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Leveling prot now. The survivability is money, and, as usual, it's nice to be able to solo any group quest with no difficulty at all.

The mobs hit much harder, so you can't scree-lag pull and burn 15 mobs down...but pull 3 at a time, burn, ???, profit.

Pro Tip: Wear a few choice pieces of DPS gear to up your firepower a little.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I've always leveled prot..1-80 and now from 80 to 83 so far. I find myself killing stuff at a acceptable pace. Plus being on a pvp server and having way more hp than the alliance running around questing it kind of deters them to gank me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]