Blade Flurry: The Creation of a LiAbility

85 Worgen Rogue
So I played a combat rogue through much of Wrath, but I decided it would be fun to reroll as a worgen. That aside.

I understand that Blizzard is trying to rebalance combat to be PvP viable. I don't agree with doing so...I think not one but TWO jorm...er, PvP viable rogue specs are quite enough. But I understand what they're trying, at least, to do. Even if the costs it's taking on combat in its primary role as PvE dps are a bit troublesome.

As a part of this, the current state of Blade Flurry is well...odd. It's cumbersome and unwieldy in a lot of circumstances. I'll give a for instance.

I'm in an instance, and the tank pulls two sufficiently chewy mobs at once. I go in and pop BF. Only...ut-oh, here comes the mage with a lucky crit string. Bam bam bam, first mob dies really fast. Now I'm down to one mob with BF active.

The problem now, is in that BF has had both the haste buff removed, AND been saddled with this odd energy regen nerf. The result is that on a single target, not only is BF not benificial, it is actually a DPS NERF to have it active. Therefore if other targets die faster than expected the only way to keep your dps running 100% optimal is to reach up and click off the BF buff. It's odd, it's unwieldy, and it's just plain become an ugly hack of a mechanic.

There's a few routes you could take here. You could re-introduce a haste buff sufficient to not result in a net dps loss on single target. (From what I'm hearing combat could now use some buffs anyway). At the very least you could make the energy regen nerf dependant on actual 2ndary attacks landing on targets, or just remove the energy regen nerf completely. Just get it to the point where I'm not having to click off a buff midcombat just to keep my dps max'd.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Just get it to the point where I'm not having to click off a buff midcombat just to keep my dps max'd.

So it's fine, you just need to l2click?

I don't like antagonizing things I don't know much about since I don't really know rogues that well yet, but your issue boils down to having an AoE ability be less DPS against a single target (this certainly isn't a new concept) and having to click it off when a target dies. If anything it sounds like you just need it to be a toggle rather than a buff.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I didn't like that about instances as Combat either.

Felt clunky and wrong to have to click the buff off every time we had 1 mob left in that particular pull.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
12/09/2010 10:11 AMPosted by Qbert
Just get it to the point where I'm not having to click off a buff midcombat just to keep my dps max'd.

So it's fine, you just need to l2click?

I don't like antagonizing things I don't know much about since I don't really know rogues that well yet, but your issue boils down to having an AoE ability be less DPS against a single target (this certainly isn't a new concept) and having to click it off when a target dies. If anything it sounds like you just need it to be a toggle rather than a buff.

The problem is that it functions extremely differently from an AoE ability such as Blizzard. With Blizzard, either you're casting it, or you're not. if you need to go single target, you simply stop casting and switch to a new spell. Blade Flurry continues to affect your damage dealing even if you're just trying to do your normal, single-target rotation.

L2Click? I can click just fine. But it's an ugly hack of a fix to the ability that breaks combat flow. Is it the biggest deal in the world? No. But it's an ugly mechanic and could stand to have a fix. A toggle would indeed be nice, but I doubt blizz would move this out of Cooldown territory.
Edited by Riese on 12/9/2010 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
Although i have since specced out of combat and will not be speccing back into any time soon, Every time i used BF I ended up canceling the buff about half way through it's duration because of situations exactly like that which you described.
it's %%#%ty, /shrug
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]