From your friendly, neighborhood tank

85 Night Elf Death Knight
Healers,

Guys please let the DPS that pull for me die. it will
1. save your mana so you can keep me up, which i assure you is much easier than keeping trigger happy dps up
2. (maybe) help dps realize that its their job to mitigate damage, just like its my job. I mitigate damage by getting everything aggroed and mitigating it through talents that dps do not have.

I spent about 45 painful minutes in Throne of the tides with a high-and-mighty pally who kept facepulling for me. The healer would spend half his mana pool before i even got aggro. Since i'm not brain dead, i would wait for the shammy to drink up, but lo and behold the pally was at 1/4 health and the shammy just healed him to full. Everything goes a lot faster when everyone does their job, and healers, sometimes your job is to kill the DPS for the sake of your mana, the group, and the wow community. Thank you.

edit: sp and hyperbole toned down
Edited by Macarae on 12/9/2010 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
good in theory, doesn't work in practice. lol afterall, healers job is to heal. tanks job is to tank. dps job is to dps. so you think, " okay, i gotta heal that empty health bar!" not, "okay, let me see, that is a dps, eh, let him die!" lol

i get what you mean but that's a recipe for frustration, just so's ya know.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
He didnt say let the dps always die. He says let people like that paladin die.
Reply Quote
DPS needs to always remember that a healer's priority is the tank. If you died it was either because you did something stupid (pulled aggro, stood in environment hazard, etc.) or because the tank needed healing. If your tank is not at 80%+ health, don't expect a healer to save you.
Reply Quote
When a dps is really bad, I usually let them die, but lots of them are right in the middle - they do things that make things harder but they're not intentionally trying to, and just living with it is easier than explaining things.
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 11:07 AMPosted by Zapar
Also if a situation does get tight with mana I'm out of cooldowns, I'll let the lowest DPS out put die so I can keep my higher DPS up for a kill. Sounds mean, but it works and they never have a clue.

^what he said. :D
(and it is mean, and i don't like being mean. i'm a HEALER, that means i like to be nice lol not mean. mean is....well, mean!)
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
12/09/2010 10:59 AMPosted by Totelements
He didnt say let the dps always die. He says let people like that paladin die.

face pullers, i know. healer can just say, "don't face pull! thus saith the healer!"
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/09/2010 10:53 AMPosted by Compash
good in theory, doesn't work in practice. lol afterall, healers job is to heal. tanks job is to tank. dps job is to dps. so you think, " okay, i gotta heal that empty health bar!" not, "okay, let me see, that is a dps, eh, let him die!" lol

i get what you mean but that's a recipe for frustration, just so's ya know.

We should add to that:

Tanks job is to hold sustainable threat on as many mobs as possible and pull targets off of people who don't manage their threat, and not take unnecessary damage.

Healers job, sustain life to its minimally required level and to CC if possible.

DPS job is to kill the targets in order, manage threat (foregoing aoe damage if needed), CC, even if that becomes the primary focus on some pulls, and not take avoidable damage.

Please more additions!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I will stop an instance and take the 2 minutes to talk rather than spend an extra 30 minutes wiping every time.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
If the dps are lucky and I have globals they may get a rejuv/WG. Apart from that you stand in goop it's on you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm already onboard with letting facepullers die, what with being dual spec tank heals.
Reply Quote
lol afterall, healers job is to heal. tanks job is to tank. dps job is to dps.

See here is where i disagree. My job is to mitigate damage by taking as much damage as possible then using cooldowns and my built in tank mitigation talents to minimize damage collateral. DPS has the same job: mitigation by not standing in the fire, by using CC (to mitigate damage to the tank), by following kill order. In Vanilla and BC you kill the caster first because he does the most damage (and he is usally interruptable), thus mitigating the overall amount of damage sustained by the group.

When a DPS takes suicidal-level damage, he is not doing his job.

I'll let the lowest DPS out put die so I can keep my higher DPS up for a kill.

Again the DPS is not doing their job (sometimes). I do this on my druid. All i'm saying is you're gimping yourselves as healers by keeping people who take avoidable damage. Its more mana efficient to let the bads die and rez them after the pull.
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
macarae

only if you don't NEED dps to finish the encounter, otherwise, healer is gonna oom on you too.
Reply Quote
12/09/2010 11:36 AMPosted by Compash
macarae

only if you don't NEED dps to finish the encounter, otherwise, healer is gonna oom on you too.

Truth. But on trash pulls, DPS running in to tank for me should die; on boss encounters a DPS who is doing sub-par DPS and soaking up the healer's mana still might ought to die. I like the new enrage mechanics built in to the two new cata dungeons i've tanked so far, as it gives DPS some of the action as well as responsibility, but you (we) as healers can help effect that change.
Reply Quote
Don't heal stupid. It sends the wrong signal. Also, it's frankly disgusting when a healer risks OOM himself by healing stupid and then killed the tank. That wipe's on the healz, even the stupid has less to blame because healz could've let stupid die.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest

If a DPS facepulls I will try to keep him alive using my efficent heals. This is almost garenteed to fail if the tank doesn't pull off him, and thats the tank's business not mine. The reason being if I spam flash heals, I'm not going to be able to do my job. My job is to manage my mana and that means letting DPS who take too much damage for me to handle die, regardless of the reason. Its not about my ego or punishing the DPS, its about doing my job.

If a healer is spamming expensive heals to keep a DPS alive and going oom because of it, the healer is at as much fault as the DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I think the biggest thing is, don't take offense if somebody asks you to play a little differently. And be polite if you're asking somebody to do the same. But the bottom line is, LFD has drastically changed this game. You don't need the commitment to get a group together that you used to, and as a result a lot of people don't put the same effort into it. Easy come, easy go, though.

I do hope more balancing is done though. Chilton said this expansion took 6 months longer than they expected, I think it could have used another 2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]