Healing - boring, weak and slow

80 Dwarf Shaman
First of all, the most messed up part of this expansion is that leveling from 80-85 has made us a lot weaker which feels backwards and stupid.

In WotLK your heals felt powerful because you could top players up easily and fast, now it takes like 6 casts to top up a tank or even a dps. You might say that the unlimited mana made WotLK boring but mechanics such as Jaraxxus Shield, steelbreaker's fusion punch and etc which required you to react fast with large heals made the healing really fun without making you feel weak. It feels like you are way underpowered compared to your group, like you are a level 60 healer trying to keep up a level 85 tank. The slow paced heals makes it really boring to heal, the only enjoyable part so far is that they made the dungeon encounters really well.

Also I remember wiping a lot on WotLK bosses when they came out, it only became boring and easy when you overgeared it or something like the ICC buff kicked in every month or if the fight was just simply undertuned (naxx/lots of regular modes)
Edited by Kfrx on 12/9/2010 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
17 Worgen Druid
Speaking as a druid, to a shaman, in regards to WOTL healing, I must say one thing: Chain heal.

If you thought that was fun, well, I guess I was just bitter that all I had to do was blanket with rejuv and WG CDs whilst having no beams of jesus.

I am just now starting to recover from mousey carpel tunnel.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
healing surge is better than chain heal, its just hard to not use as a replacement altogether in the interest of saving mana
Edited by Supabump on 12/9/2010 1:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I think it's important to try to think of your healing performance in terms of your ability to keep the group alive, and not basing your judgment so much on your impression of how quickly you can move a health bar. I've seen this "60 healer on an 80 tank" analogy a few times and that really doesn't account for any of the changes to healing, other than the big health pools.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/09/2010 2:50 PMPosted by Believe
I think it's important to try to think of your healing performance in terms of your ability to keep the group alive, and not basing your judgment so much on your impression of how quickly you can move a health bar. I've seen this "60 healer on an 80 tank" analogy a few times and that really doesn't account for any of the changes to healing, other than the big health pools.

Isn't that rather like telling a dps not to think of their damage on a mob or dps, but rather to focus on whether the mobs eventually dies?

If healers and tanks became incredibly powerful and dps was reduced, while mob health went up... I think that would be rather discouraging to dps players.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/09/2010 1:34 PMPosted by Supabump
healing surge is better than chain heal, its just hard to not use as a replacement altogether in the interest of saving mana

That's the whole point... do people not understand why the spells are they way they are?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I've actually been finding it pretty darn hard to keep a group alive. Main right now is resto sham with pretty much all 333 gear. Rynzo, same guild, same server.

When stuff goes FLAWLESS, 100% nothing wrong, with a TOOOOON of CC, i can heal fine, but some fights, you can't CC much, or even bosses with some sort of aoe dmg. Chain heal which costs nearly 7k mana crits the first person for 8k..and gets worse as it goes. An 8k heal on a target with over 80k hps taking more than that dmg, faster than i can cast it.

The only alternative then is to cast Healing surge, which in of itself is not mana efficient at all. Then you have Healing Rain. Well that sounds nice..but it costs 7k mana and ticks for...dun dun dun +-2000 per tick. Well that isnt gonna do much, now is it?

Single target also seems a bit harsh, tanks with 130k hps getting hit pretty darn hard, the most "Efficient" heal we have is Healing Wave which heals for a lul 2k. Healing surge is nice, crit in the high 20s, but costs 7k mana and i can't cast that much. And atm i dont see a real use for greater healing wave since its nearly the same mana cost and heals for a bit less.

All in all, being 85, i've quit resto for now, It's too much of a hassle drinking after EVERY SINGLE pull, whether its 2 mobs or 6. It has never been like this before.

For those of you saying, haha you suck, i come from Burning Legion as stormkiss, in Deadly Intent, #2 alliance guild on server, with 11/12 heroic ICC experience. I've seen every raid encounter to date on numerous toons, so yes, i do know what i am doing.

Anywho, enjoy being a rubbish healer until they buff it, which will happen, ill bet my account on it, cuz where it's at right now...complete rubbish. Ok, gonna go pewpew now as ELE!.

Rynzo -- over and out
Edited by Googled on 12/9/2010 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Priest
12/09/2010 2:57 PMPosted by Vidomina
12/09/2010 2:50 PMPosted by Believe

Isn't that rather like telling a dps not to think of their damage on a mob or dps, but rather to focus on whether the mobs eventually dies?

If healers and tanks became incredibly powerful and dps was reduced, while mob health went up... I think that would be rather discouraging to dps players.

Except that is exactly what happens. As the mob gets more powerful, it takes longer to kill it, regardless of your gear. The same applies to healing now, we no longer get to "1 shot" our tanks. We actually have to heal them.

In regards to the group situations and healing multiple people: most people are still retarded and are taking damage that is mostly avoidable. They were able to do this in wrath because of our overpowered heals.

Honestly, healing an encounter now is much more rewarding because it's a bit of a chore. It reminds me quite a bit of vanilla wow. Where stupidity was punished, not carried by healers with infinite mana.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest

No, I think you miss my point.

It seems like a lot of healers feel neutered not because they can't Flash all the time*, but because their biggest heals do 15% of the tank's health instead of 50%.

*most people seem to have handled that part well enough, actually
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/09/2010 3:09 PMPosted by Believe

No, I think you miss my point.

It seems like a lot of healers feel neutered not because they can't Flash all the time*, but because their biggest heals do 15% of the tank's health instead of 50%.

*most people seem to have handled that part well enough, actually

But do you think it's just the relative power of the heals to health pools... or do you think it is also related to incoming damage?

It would be one thing if heals restored a smaller amount of relative health, but were still scaling proportionately to damage... but a lot of the posts I have seen is that the health pools are bigger... the damage is still high, but the heals are smaller. That would mean a net loss of effectiveness. This is combined with the effect that levelling has on healing, which is negative.

I agree about the observation on dps being relatively weaker on new content. I wonder, though if it is commensurate with the diminished effect of healing, and if dps continue to diminish if they level? I would certainly think that would be met with some skepticism by players
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Healing Wave which heals for a lul 2k. Healing surge is nice, crit in the high 20s, but costs 7k mana and i can't cast that much. And atm i dont see a real use for greater healing wave since its nearly the same mana cost and heals for a bit less.

This is not at all an accurate depiction of restoration healing numbers... except for maybe the mana cost of Healing Surge. Seriously though, if you don't know what use Greater Healing Wave has, and believe that Healing Wave hits for 2k, then you have quite a bit to fix on your end before passing judgment on the new healing system.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]