71 Blood Elf Mage
Are we suppose to get xp for skinning?
85 Orc Death Knight
Yes. Also for mining and herbalism.
Support Forum Agent
12/09/2010 6:17 PMPosted by Mystico
Are we suppose to get xp for skinning?

Edit with updated information to avoid future confusion:

Directly, no. You gain experience through slaying the beast that you skin, not from skinning itself.
Edited by Vrakthris on 2/24/2011 11:52 PM PST
85 Troll Priest
How long until you stop gaining XP? Does it scale with levels? Which professions work like that?
Indeed. I've skinned a fair bit on this character (Core Hounds) and haven't recieved any XP. I have, however, half a level from Archeology. Worth opening a ticket for?
85 Draenei Shaman
im not getting any
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Please don't necro threads.
Edited by Sliceyaface on 2/24/2011 8:06 PM PST
100 Undead Warlock
Also no, you don't get any xp from skinning.
10 Blood Elf Warrior
02/24/2011 8:54 PMPosted by Diamora
Also no, you don't get any xp from skinning.

Oh, did they take that out? I WAS getting xp from skinning last time I played a skinner.... been a couple of weeks though....
100 Undead Warlock
Playing two right now, no extra xp that I've seen.
10 Blood Elf Warrior
Interesting.... not that it's a biggie anyway. In fact.... there's something totally obscene about getting more xp for herbing or mining nodes than you get from killing mobs....
85 Draenei Shaman
This makes staying in the same level range with my duo partners hard, actually. Since i usually go skinning and Hubby usually goes mining on our partners, i always have to spend a day catching up levels. By the end of our usual play time He's always 2 or 3 levels ahead of me, and we're doing the same quests/dungeons and always together. He just gets so much more xp gathering. It's very annoying. i liked it a lot better when gathering xp briefly shared with the party.
85 Night Elf Hunter
02/24/2011 8:06 PMPosted by Sliceyaface
Please don't necro threads.

Relevant topic is relevant. We aren't supposed to litter the forums with tons of threads on the same topic either. There was a reason that person responded to this thread, they are not breaking any rules.

I, too, am not and have never received any experience points for skinning on any of my toons that have skinning...ever. Not once. Three different toons, three different starting zones, three different levels, three different races.....no xp.

A few of my friends that have skinning say the same thing. We actually have all discussed how we thought it was very interesting that xp was added for herbalism and mining but NOT skinning.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Relevant topic is relevant. We aren't supposed to litter the forums with tons of threads on the same topic either. There was a reason that person responded to this thread, they are not breaking any rules.

Hi there.

You are not supposed to litter the forums with tons of threads on the same topic. Very true. Starting a new thread about this instead of resurrecting a 3-month-old one would not have been littering. It would have actually had a greater chance of being addressed by an SFA.

Necro-bumping is specifically against the Forum CoC. It is discouraged for a number of reasons, the primary one being that issues often change over a matter of days, let alone months, and a secondary one being that Blizzard posters will generally overlook a thread where help has already been given to the OP.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Perhaps they missed the date? If they used the search function and just saw the title, it could have been a mistake

I've missed the date on some threads before, I'm sure Blizzard is aware of that possibility.

I appreciate the fact that you try to uphold the CoC, I've seen you on the forums before and have never witnessed you being a jerk or rude or anything and I like that.

I do agree with you...perhaps it would have been good for you to suggest that the person start their own topic. Maybe they didn't think about that? Also, some people don't know it's against the CoC to necro threads, so they won't always understand why you are telling them not to necro threads. If you communicate that to people, it might help them for future reference :)

Like the way you explained it here was perfect:

Necro-bumping is specifically against the Forum CoC. It is discouraged for a number of reasons, the primary one being that issues often change over a matter of days, let alone months, and a secondary one being that Blizzard posters will generally overlook a thread where help has already been given to the OP.

Support Forum Agent
02/24/2011 8:05 PMPosted by Shocknorris
im not getting any

The reason why necroing is not a good idea is because the information and issue that you bring up can be horribly out of date. This post was made shortly after Cataclysm was released and at the time many of us assumed that all gathering professions gave experience.

It was soon discovered that due to the nature of the gathering method (i.e. you kill the beast in order to skin it thus gaining experience), skinning itself did not grant additional experience.

I'll amend my original statement and then lock this thread to avoid future confusion.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]