Vanilla Healing & You

90 Human Priest
So, I'll be 85 in less than 24 hours.

When I am forced to heal, here is what I will remember from Vanilla.

- You have 1 efficient spell to spam (for priests, this is heal, druids get nourish, etc.)
- You will spam this one spell on the tank while keeping your HoT or HoTs up on the tank
- If the tank gets taken below about 30%, you'll have to flash heal a couple of times
- If DPS take dmg, you're gonna toss them a HoT, that's about it
- Stopcasting macro or esc key are good for healers, only let casts through when you need to.
- If the healer dies (tank fault). Tank dies (healer fault). DPS dies (their own fault).
- If you OOM and wipe, post the dmg taken meters and pawn it off on bad DPS taking too much
- If you think the fight will last longer than the CD of your regen spell, pop it early

Keep in mind that healing is very FRACKED up for the foreseeable future.
Pretty much the entire game revolves around your mana bar. Hopefully, this will change. But it may well NOT.

What we know WILL change, is people will learn the fights and gear will improve.
While healing might not get much better, tank dmg should go down while dps goes up, which translates into shorter fights which will likely help healers more than anything Blizzard is willing to do.
Edited by Falter on 12/10/2010 3:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
I like this post. =P

"If DPS take dmg, you're gonna toss them a HoT, that's about it"
haha, so true
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Blargh. I gotta buy Cata already and see what all the fuss is about. I like this post most out of all that i have read so far. Sounds like good, common sense.

Also, a note for DPS: "Click the f'n lightwell!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I like the way you think. Lol.

12/10/2010 4:03 AMPosted by Fure
Also, a note for DPS: "Click the f'n lightwell!"

You would think a shiny lightwell would be attractive enough for them to notice, but no they dont. Agree.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Stand in healing rain too! I say in party about 4 times -"Hey when you see healing rain or the blue circle, please run into it."

The mages, warlocks, priests, and shamans stay out. Hunters stay even further away.
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT COSTS 7K MANA AND HEALS MORE THAN CHAIN HEAL STAND IN IT I BEG OF YOU.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I played Rogue in vanilla. DPS had bandages and pots. Heals were for tanks.

I'm glad its back!

They do need to make pots have a regular cooldown again tho. One per fight is pretty gimp.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 3:02 AMPosted by Falter
So, I'll be 85 in less than 24 hours.

When I am forced to heal, here is what I will remember from Vanilla.

- You have 1 efficient spell to spam (for priests, this is heal, druids get nourish, etc.)
- You will spam this one spell on the tank while keeping your HoT or HoTs up on the tank
- If the tank gets taken below about 30%, you'll have to flash heal a couple of times
- If DPS take dmg, you're gonna toss them a HoT, that's about it
- Stopcasting macro or esc key are good for healers, only let casts through when you need to.
- If the healer dies (tank fault). Tank dies (healer fault). DPS dies (their own fault).
- If you OOM and wipe, post the dmg taken meters and pawn it off on bad DPS taking too much
- If you think the fight will last longer than the CD of your regen spell, pop it early

Keep in mind that healing is very FRACKED up for the foreseeable future.
Pretty much the entire game revolves around your mana bar. Hopefully, this will change. But it may well NOT.

What we know WILL change, is people will learn the fights and gear will improve.
While healing might not get much better, tank dmg should go down while dps goes up, which translates into shorter fights which will likely help healers more than anything Blizzard is willing to do.

Everything you say is completely true except that 1 small part where it says: "If the tank dies (healer fault)" because a tank may die if they do not use all of their CDs, pull too much trash in a Heroic Dungeon etc.

I don't believe healing is "hard" when you get a good group, the problem is very few of those exist. Only thing that is really annoying at the moment is having to drink after even small pulls.
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 4:18 AMPosted by Bashera
Stand in healing rain too! I say in party about 4 times -"Hey when you see healing rain or the blue circle, please run into it."

The mages, warlocks, priests, and shamans stay out. Hunters stay even further away.
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT COSTS 7K MANA AND HEALS MORE THAN CHAIN HEAL STAND IN IT I BEG OF YOU.

:*( sadly this happens A LOT. I offspec Resto, but I am very excited to heal dungeons once i get a few more blues. When i try to save the healer some mana by maelstrom weapon casting Healing rain, i see everyone including some tanks run out of it ><. That blue circle on the ground with the awsome sound, is not fire, water=/= fire, please stand in that :(.

Edit: It costs healers 10k+ mana to cast at lvl 85, so please don't waste a precious resource.
Edited by Bellasaurus on 12/10/2010 5:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
66 Undead Priest
12/10/2010 4:27 AMPosted by Scarebear
I played Rogue in vanilla. DPS had bandages and pots. Heals were for tanks.

Yes, I am happy to see bandages being used again! Also, everyone needs to start carrying food again. If the healer is drinking and your HP is low, you should be eating!

You are actually better off using greater heal (or the equivalent if not a priest) in here too as it is more HPS than heal at the cost of some mana efficiency, but not nearly as bad as flash heal efficiency.

And yes, click the lightwell and stand in all the healing sparkles, they are lonely!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/10/2010 4:18 AMPosted by Bashera

Maybe if you tell them its blue fire and not to stand in it......then they might very well run to it
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
What about classes with no hots? HMMMM? -.-

Yeah, dps my my groups are screwed ;(
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
um...you confused the boring "does nothing but stop the spell" stopcast macro with the "awesome, makes you jump" spacebar.

Also? you should make a macro for healing rain
"/p Hey guys, this boss [target] has a massive watery void zone. Ya, I know. it's weird. I think Neptulon's powers were stolen by the old gods. It's a MASSIVE damage spell, and it looks like water. DO NOT STEP IN THE DAMN WATER, OR I WILL PUNCH YOUR SOUL!"
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Pallies don't have true HoT's, sure.
But they do have Holy Shock, and that Word of Glory spell or whatever. And bacon means you won't totally stop spamming the tank.
Plus the mastery bubbles or HoT's, doesn't it?

We can't totally blame DPS for not clicking LW's, this is probably the first time they have ever seen them.

Further, the dps have been well trained by blizz for multiple expansion packs not to stand in circles on the floor, so they have to really fight their instincts to stand in one, even if it heals.

If that ain't proof blizz has a wicked sense of humor, I don't know what is.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/10/2010 9:16 AMPosted by Falter
But they do have Holy Shock, and that Word of Glory spell or whatever. And bacon means you won't totally stop spamming the tank.
Plus the mastery bubbles or HoT's, doesn't it?

We can't totally blame DPS for not clicking LW's, this is probably the first time they have ever seen them.

Further, the dps have been well trained by blizz for multiple expansion packs not to stand in circles on the floor, so they have to really fight their instincts to stand in one, even if it heals.

If that ain't proof blizz has a wicked sense of humor, I don't know what is.

Holy shock heals for 6k on a 6 second CD. WoG I use on tank. Beacon makes tank only get 50% of the heals.

DPS will die, and I don't care, beause almost all of the damage i've seen them take is avoidable so far.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid

Only dps that have an priest-healing-alt click on lightwells.
The rest, just dont understand or as you say...never seen em'
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
In Classic and BC, guilds require max First Aid skills on all players. AE damage fights require some players like rogues and hunters to bandage themselves while the healers keep tanks, healers, and clothies alive.

Today, people are spoiled. They don't bandage or pop pots. They die because it's the healers fault.
Reply Quote
81 Goblin Shaman

I got a giggle out of this.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Well said my friend. I think ALOT of the QQ is from people who never experienced the vanilla playstyle. I remember in BC when AOE became prominent. All the oldschool guys were like:

"Oh SNAP you can JUST AOE everything now, this is so EASY!"

Once DPS get into the mindset that keeping themselves alive is mostly THEIR job, healing will get a lot easier.

I just let DPS die now if they do dumb sh!t, I tell them this on the front end: "If you pull aggro or take unnecessary damage I will not heal you, welcome to cata! :D"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]