The state of affairs and frustration:

81 Draenei Priest
Here's how healing is working right now to the best of my understanding with limited bias:

Healing is harder because of mana costs and heal per spell versus damage taken and total health pools.
Reassessing spells and changing tactics is necessary for each healer because of this.

Healers are less able to cover the mistakes of others compared to how much they could do so in the past.
Nonhealers do not understand this yet, on average, and think their healer sucks.
Nonhealing roles need to adapt to reduce their own incoming damage via proper play with CC, kiting, mobs being on the tank, and mobs being taken down in order based on the situation.

As it is many healers are frustrated due to:
- Others not understanding the added challenges the healers have to face due to the healing changes.
- Having trouble making up for the mistakes or poor tactical decisions of others and thus having people die
- Feeling as if all the improved stats and power they've worked to gain to 85 actually makes them less powerful, less epic, and ultimately less useful than they were at 80. **! (I believe this worth some additional emphasis.)

I can see how Bliz wants to make content harder but the first person that gets the extra strain is the healer as they are the ones expected to make up for the mistakes of other people the most. Tanks handle mistakes from incoming adds and healers handle mistakes from incoming damage. (Remember it's a mistake if the damage was avoidable.)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Thats why when I enter a pug dungeon now, I take a second and say the following:

DPS, CC if you can, it will save my mana.
DPS, watch your threat, it will save my mana.
Tank, plan your pulls, it will save my mana.
If you save my mana, I will save your life.
Note: Lightwell is now your lover, touch it constantly.

I macro it to them and people are actually pretty receptive to critique later if you tell them up front. You're more likely to get "my bad, I totally pulled aggro" than OMG HEALAR SUKS.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Priest
Tiffamy: Exactly how you need to do it, actually. That's essentially my plan when I work up the courage to go pugging again. (I'm undergeared compared to most so getting some quest items before stepping in.)

A lot of it looks to come down to expectations.
Lower the expectations the party has of the healer down to reasonable levels considering the changes made and life will be a lot easier for healers.
Let DPS know they're expected to be aware and actually CC and they start to do so.

The only thing that can't really be solved by reassessing expectations properly is people feeling a lot less powerful/epic/useful than they did in the past because, frankly, they aren't. The problem is that the other roles don't face this issue nearly as much. AoE damage may be reduced and AoE threat may be reduced but people still feel pretty powerful even with mobs having increased health pools.
Reply Quote
58 Draenei Death Knight

12/10/2010 7:19 AMPosted by Tiffamy
Thats why when I enter a pug dungeon now, I take a second and say the following:

And here is the problem, even with that..

If they fail to cc, healer is punished.
If they pull threat, healer is punished.
If tank pulls too much, healer is punished.
You can't afford to save their life anymore, you can only heal what blizzard planned for you to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 7:48 AMPosted by Lel

You can't afford to save their life anymore, you can only heal what blizzard planned for you to heal.

Well if the healer is punished that means they all die and thus are punished too. The problem is just idiots and baddies don't know that what they're doing is wrong yet. They'll learn eventually, these things take time.

Also once people move beyond their awesome FRESH 85 gear then you'll get a bit more wiggle room. The way things are now in heroics are literally the hardest they can ever be for this expansion. As gear and play styles improve it'll become easier by leaps and bounds.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

I macro it to them and people are actually pretty receptive to critique later if you tell them up front. You're more likely to get "my bad, I totally pulled aggro" than OMG HEALAR SUKS.

ROFL!!!

Yoar macro, it is stolen. Too bad I'm Disc, meh.

12/10/2010 7:48 AMPosted by Lel

Well that's why you pre-warn the group. Good people know that healers are no longer gods, uninformed people don't, and baddies don't care. Good people will make the run easier, the uninformed make a decision of which path they wish to walk, and baddies die in the fire.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
@82 in pure wrath gear I can still heal through big mistakes. I am noticing the increased mana cost though and am more aware of it. I am sure this will change

what really sucks is the fact that it is harder for me and another to 2 man skadi as I level up. At 82 I can barely do it now. At 80 it was easy. It feels like it wont be possible at 85. After aoe'ing the gauntlet mobs down and healing him & I back to full I am pretty much oom. As balance though. I am guessing the gear will make the difference though.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not 85 yet but normals are still ridiculously easy unless everyone in your group stands in the fire.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]