Mind Sear was fun; can I have a real AOE now?

100 Pandaren Priest
Given the large number of fights in heroic dungeons which require some form of decent AOE (Corborus, Lockmaw, Steelbender, etc.), it has become more apparent that Mind Sear, because of the mechanics with which it works, is inferior to other caster DPS AOE in the game.

I understand the need to make Shadow feel different than the other classes, but the spec should not be deprived of an important tool that nearly every class has for the sake of uniqueness. Possible solutions include allowing priests to target a spot on the ground and channel (like Rain of Fire or Blizzard) or allowing the channeling to continue after the target dies.

Thanks. I needed to vent after heroic wipes. XOXO
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
To clarify, unlike conventional AOE spells which target the ground and continue to damage that spot over time (like Earthquake, Magma Totem, Rean of Fire, Blizzard, or Explosive Trap), Mind Sear is instead attached to a target enemy and channeled over time. If the target dies, the AOE will end, and because AOE targets tend to not have a lot of health and are usually the focus of your group's DPS, the particular one you target may not live very long, forcing you to recast Mind Sear repeatedly while possibly doing zero damage the whole time while Blizzard continues to fall and damage all targets.
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warlock
Play a DPS class if you want AoE. That's how I look at it.

Hybrids should never be able to come close, but then people would complain.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
12/10/2010 9:39 AMPosted by Crinx
Mind Sear is instead attached to a target enemy and channeled over time. If the target dies, the AOE will end, and because AOE targets tend to not have a lot of health and are usually the focus of your group's DPS, the particular one you target may not live very long, forcing you to recast Mind Sear repeatedly

You mean... it's like Living Bomb.
Edited by Qbert on 12/10/2010 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
1.) Mind Sear damage was nerfed to the ground. It ticks for like 700.
2.) Mind Sear does not damage the primary target - making it always hit one less target than all other AoEs
3.) Channeled and is interrupted when the primary target dies
4.) No talents augment the spell.
5.) No glyphs augment the spell.

Honestly, at 4.0 - I marked it off as part of the great "we want to lessen the presence of AoEs" that Blizzard was boasting for Cataclysm. After I found that Deathknights, Boomkins, Warriors and some others had all the AoE they have always had - well, let's just say, Mind Sear needs some help.

If Mind Sear is to keep the aspect where it does not damage the primary target - then I'd like to see it spread whatever dots we have on the primary target to all targets hit by Mind Sear. That'd help the spell out quite a bit ... perhaps too much but we'll deal with that if it happens.
Reply Quote
Mind Sear is bad because it is a channel which targets one mob. The target takes no damage from Mind Sear but all mobs surrounding it take damage. This does not work because your target frequently dies (even when you select unmarked, high health option) in mid-channel.
Further if any dps decides to steal threat from tank an runs around like a newb, this pull your target away from the preferred cluster ... Sometimes into a new cluster which can mean dead spriest or wiped group.

I use holy nova in pugs... It is that much better than Mind Sear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, at this point Holy Nova is much better. It hits a bit harder, plus it helps the healer with the small group healing component.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
One problem with using Holy Nova instead is that in some fights, like Corborus, you don't want to be anywhere near the adds you're killing.
Reply Quote
I agree, Mind Sear is horrible. Back in Wrath, when AoE was much more prevalent, Mind Sear was worth the extra work because it hit very hit and was one of the best AoEs in the game. Right now, with AoE being incredibly devalued and nerfed, Mind Sear isn't worth casting. If Mind Sear is going to be so difficult to cast, it needs to do more damage than other AoEs, period. If they're not gonna fix that, then Mind Sear really has to affect the target it's on as well, or be castable on friendly targets. Right now, it's a lot more work to use than any other AoE in the game and despite that, it's one of the weakest in the game.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
12/10/2010 1:58 PMPosted by Quantify
try seed of corruption. sucks even worse to have your target die with that one.

I heard Soulburn Seed was pretty spectacular though, when it works.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The fact that holy nova does more dps as shadow is.... depressing
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
12/10/2010 1:58 PMPosted by Quantify
try seed of corruption. sucks even worse to have your target die with that one.

Um... mind clarifying? If the target dies with SoC it triggers the AoE explosion anyway...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You just didn't try to compare SoC to Mind Sear?
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 9:41 AMPosted by Qbert
12/10/2010 9:39 AMPosted by Crinx
Mind Sear is instead attached to a target enemy and channeled over time. If the target dies, the AOE will end, and because AOE targets tend to not have a lot of health and are usually the focus of your group's DPS, the particular one you target may not live very long, forcing you to recast Mind Sear repeatedly

You mean... it's like Living Bomb.

No, because Living Bomb is a powerful DoT that damages the target. Mind Sear does NO damage to the target that its channeled on. Living Bomb is also instant cast and can be on three targets at a time. Mind Sear is channeled, meaning that we can't do anything at all while doing piddly damage. The only thing Mind Sear has going for it is its really cool animation.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I haven't liked Mind sear since it came about. I was already sick of Mind flay so it was pretty much a slap in the face for me.

Currently, holy nova does more damage per hit and does healing. Sure mind sear channels faster, but glyphed into holy nova? yeah no.

In addition to it's crummy mechanics, mind sear does such little damage in it's current state that it's worthless.

My suggestion, if you want aoe damage, glyph holy nova and tell everyone who tells you otherwise to screw themselves.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
At least you don't have Fire Nova.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]