Is Inner Will better than Inner Fire?

85 Tauren Priest
I may have missed a Priest consensus in the last few days, but I think we'd decided going into Cataclysm that Inner Fire would still be the de facto. But I think a 15% cost reduction on some spells (that are cast pretty frequently) might trump the 532 spell power that sounded so incredible at 80.

Inner Fire...
...boosts my Renew by about 3.6%.
...boosts my GHeal by about 3.7%.
...boosts my Penance by about 3.4%.

And Inner Fire's contribution to spells will continue to decrease as we gain more spell power (and Mastery, for Discipline).

On the other hand, instants are cheaper, and in some cases cast less frequently, than things that Inner Will doesn't help, like Greater Heal, Flash Heal, Heal/Smite, and Prayer of Healing.

I'm kind of rambling, but anyone have some thoughts on this? I think I'm gonna try rolling with Inner Will as my default in some instances and see if I can feel the difference.
Edited by Believe on 12/10/2010 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I suppose I could just go through a day of instancing and compare times the spells were cast with their costs, and compare the 3%-4% boost to the discounts on the instants compared to my overall mana expenditure.

Math. Blegh.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
One's for output, one's for longevity.

With gear reset and the retuning of healing, longevity seems to be almost universally what's needed more (it's completely irrelevant if your heals hit a little harder if you don't have the mana to cast them).

As for default attitudes, I go with Inner Will. If the group wipes because I couldn't heal through (unavoidable) damage, and I wasn't on pace to be at risk of OOMing, when we try again I would switch to Inner Fire instead, but this has yet to happen to me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/10/2010 11:54 AMPosted by Victoriaaz
With gear reset and the retuning of healing, longevity seems to be almost universally what's needed more (it's completely irrelevant if your heals hit a little harder if you don't have the mana to cast them).

This. I feel like Inner Fire is more geared towards PvP priests where throughput (and armor) is the priority, and less emphasis is placed on mana-efficiency. Could be wrong, though. I haven't PvP'd since 70. Never enjoyed the change from long fights to lolburst.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I am using Inner Will during instances for now. As someone said earlier, the spell power increase from Inner Fire is useless if you have no mana to cast heals.

Really as a Disc healer there is no more shield spamming. It is only viable to keep shield up on the tank and maybe 1-2 other melee dps. I have been seeing a few priests mention using Renew, but in my opinion the HPM is way to high to be using in a normal fight. If you find yourself moving around often or have a dps that could use a few ticks, then sure toss one on him so you can focus on the tank.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Since they have no mana cost, I think the appropriate thing to do is switch as necessary. I have been going through most instances with Inner Fire up the majority of the time, but during heavy movement phases or times when I need to cast several Renews, I will switch to Inner Will.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
You guys, You do know that since they removed the mana cost of it they basically are urging us to stance switch for whats going on. If you are spamming heal use inner fire, And if you need to cast a bubble switch to inner will then switch back to heal spam. It's really not hard to do
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
Just a quick napkin calculation... if you use PW:S and Renew 10 times each and PoM 5 times during say, a boss fight. Assuming Rapture procs for every PW:S, by using Inner Will you will have saved about 12K mana. This isn't including situational instants like Lifegrip, Dispel, Fade, etc.

Obviously it'll be different depending on how much of these you end up using, but I found it helped a lot when I first switched from Inner Fire to Inner Will.
Reply Quote
The intent seems to be to swtich between them, but in order to do it optimally they need to be off the GCD.

It also seems a bit unfair to give priests such a high apm requirement (relative to other healers) since no other healer has something like this.
Edited by Vezex on 12/10/2010 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
12/10/2010 3:34 PMPosted by Nicolâs
You guys, You do know that since they removed the mana cost of it they basically are urging us to stance switch for whats going on. If you are spamming heal use inner fire, And if you need to cast a bubble switch to inner will then switch back to heal spam. It's really not hard to do

I'm not sure with the 2 GCDs required and the low Heal coefficient that it's worthwhile to stance switch for just Heal spam. Heal's coefficient is 0.3624 and Inner Fire gives 531 SP. This comes out to an additional ~200 hp healed before modifiers (crits, Twin Disc, Grace, Spiritual Healing, etc.). And if you suddenly need to say, PW:B or some other instant before you can switch back, you'll find yourself eating the full mana cost.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/10/2010 2:39 PMPosted by Sausagefan
If you're really paring your instants down that much, Inner Fire should be superior.

True, but at the moment for the groups I have been running, I never know whats going to happen or how they will react to pulls. So its much easier to keep Inner Will on for the majority instead of switching in between the 2. Especially in heroics, wasting a GCD during a fight hasnt been something I can spare, which is annoying me that some fights require dispels.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]