Stand in the fire, not do your part?

85 Troll Shaman
I, as well as many feel one thing from the jump from WotLK to Cata. Healers are being scapegoated on this tougher content.

Casual WotLK content was too easy and simple mistakes were overlooked and carried by extremely high dps or cast whatever you want, do whatever you want healing. I was extremely excited for the dynamic to change, so much so I rerolled to this Shaman to heal for Cataclysm.

As I leveled up and now as I start Heroic farming in preparation for the raiding content I have to say one thing. The design of "everyone is responsible for the group as a whole" feels extremely lazy and uncreative. Just simply taking damage for standing in the fire or not interrupting is short sighted and unfairly places extra responsibility on the healing core. I mean as I type this, I can think of a few improvements in no less than it took to type them.

Stand in the fire too long? Instantly die. Get ported 50 yards away. Get an undispellable debuff that limits your effectiveness.

Don't Interrupt a cast? Disarm a dps. Undispellable debuff that lowers dps. Mind control the tank.

Yes, some of these already do exist but the vast majority just increase damage taken. Damage taken that we can not effectively heal through with the current gear. So when we cannot heal through it, its easy for short sighted players to just simply blame a lack of heals. This is happening and this design is causing an unfair burden to those who simply enjoy healing.

WotLK spoiled players, that is absolutely no secret. Are healers now the game developers spokesmen in game to those who are unfamiliar with how drastically different the game is simply so we don't have to endlessly defend ourselves in PuGs? Sure as hell feels like it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Healing is fine as it is right now, DPS is just not competent enough to make it work. I have no mana issues when a dps actually AVOIDS all the random stuff Cata throws at you, or actually CC's/interrupts.

But since the difficulty of healing is directly associated to the skill level of a group it seems underwhelming.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I like the mechanics that just instantly kill someone for not paying attention to mechanics.

I wouldn't mind if it shape shifted them into a giant pile of poo, either. Un-dispellable, of course.

Anything short of death or incapacitation is expected to be handled by the healer.
Edited by Vidomina on 12/10/2010 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/10/2010 2:00 PMPosted by Nomadnecroma
Healing is fine as it is right now, DPS is just not competent enough to make it work. I have no mana issues when a dps actually AVOIDS all the random stuff Cata throws at you, or actually CC's/interrupts.

But since the difficulty of healing is directly associated to the skill level of a group it seems underwhelming.

last time I checked the description of a healer is "Reversing damage taken by party members" not "Beg dps to do their job or I fail at mine hard"
Reply Quote
I would just like to point out that healers are one of the easiest roles to get caught in bad stuff on the ground while busily trying to keep the group up. You won't see them die before very often because then probably save themselves first. Potential instant death to healers are not good for anybody.

Also I am unsure why the mentality of "I should be able to succeed w/o other people being competent" should continue for healers. Tanks have always relied on healers to do anything (ok, minus the silliness late into WotLK 5-mans). DPS have always relied on both tanks and healers to do anything (again minus late WotLK 5-mans). Healers have always been relying on competent tanks (minus late WotLK 5-mans).

5-mans is a game mechanism for having a... 5-man group game. I don't see the problem of relying on others.

"But PuGs are unworkable now!!" Relax, continue to do your best, be nice to others and make online friends. Join forces with them before venturing into the @*@*hole that is LFD.

Personally I am much more concern with citations of boring healing mechanisms and lvl 85s being weaker than lvl 80s.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
12/10/2010 2:28 PMPosted by Greengob

5-mans is a game mechanism for having a... 5-man group game. I don't see the problem of relying on others.

I agree in the fact that there you should have to rely on other people, however, the OP also is hitting on the issue that relying on others is going to punish the healer moreso than anyone else. As he suggested, why not have a mechanic where if something isn't interrupted, a DPS gets punished by being disarmed or stunned, instead of "haha dps screwed up, time to make the healer go oom"?
Reply Quote
MVP
83 Night Elf Priest
Oh wow.

I'm having flashbacks to tanking skeletal warriors while fools stand dying in the green gas in scholo.

It has always sort of been this way, it is just that instancing got so easy for a while that people forgot.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
In wrath as shadow I could stand in most avoidable damage and self heal all the damage, and even if I couldn't incidental aoe healing would cover me. Today the avoidable damage is quite powerful and even worse sucks so much healer mana.

If people (tank and dps) do their job I rarely have to drink. If people don't do their job then I end up drinking after almost every pull. Not only that, but I don't think I have seen a single person eat food while I'm drinking (even if they are at low health), though I have seen someone bandage.

I'm pretty close to start handing out a 5 stack of food to everyone (specifically melee) at the start of an instance, and letting those who continue to take avoidable damage die. Not in a revenge way, but as an instructional tool.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]