Melee is a liability without LotP/JoL.

85 Night Elf Rogue
12/10/2010 7:25 PMPosted by Ailee
Nah, LOTP had an internal 6 second CD, so it didn't favor fast melee.

I simply meant all melee (as they all generally hit more times than casters).
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 7:30 PMPosted by Leonin
12/10/2010 7:25 PMPosted by Ailee
Nah, LOTP had an internal 6 second CD, so it didn't favor fast melee.

Imp LotP didn't proc off spells...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
12/10/2010 7:34 PMPosted by Tashre
12/10/2010 7:30 PMPosted by Leonin
[quote="14063568702"]Nah, LOTP had an internal 6 second CD, so it didn't favor fast melee.

Imp LotP didn't proc off spells...[/quote]

Exactly. They removed heals that benefited melee only.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I agree that so far it seems that melee are having it rough in the new instances. All around survival nerfs for melee compounded with heavy aoe damage in melee range.

I ran a few randoms with two melee + the tank, one ranged dps and a holy palladin healer. The rogue and I ended having to repeatedly run away and try to bandage ourselves due to the amount of damage and deaths were were incurring. Not sure if this was fail healing or limitations on aoe healing from a holy palladin, but this is pretty harsh. We weren't eating cleaves, just aoe damage..not even pulling aggro.

I will admit that the same group composition with a holy priest was a completely different story though. Maybe its a combination of the melee survival nerfs, encounter design, and healer choice. What ever the issue is...it has been enough for me to stop pugging for now and just quest for leveling.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I've done all normals except Tol'vir and HoO, and so far the biggest offender of this issue is Shatter in Stonecore.

It hits for something like 30k on normal unless you are quite far away, and pretty much only melee have to run out. I am actually a little nervous healing through it on heroic.

Melee almost always take more damage. It's quite annoying, but I doubt Blizz is going to do anything about it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
solution: buff melee self heals. Allow melee to have more self heals and thus equal out the melee taking more damage effect because their improved self healing means a net gain of all dps needing same mana from healers.
Reply Quote
7 Dwarf Hunter
I play a ret paly as a main and I feel sorry for the healers in my group. I dont stand in the fire and yet I take so much more damage than anyone else other than the tank it's emberassing. In every boss fight I'm popping Divine Protection and Holy Radiance to help out and sometimes I'm still having to Lay on Hands.

It also kind of makes me mad. Like someone else said, melee is hopping all over the place avoiding fires, cleaves, poor tank positioning, void zones and taking all this damage to do less damage than ranged who hardly have to deal with anything other than their rotation. Honestly, I love melee but I've been thinking about going caster because of Blizz's design faults. Over the course of the dungeons every role should be challenged the same: this boss is hard on melee, this boss makes ranged work, so on and so on. Good thing about melee right now, the only compeition on dps gear is from tanks. In about dozen runs this past week only 2 or 3 had another melee in the group. I feel like introducing myself like, " Hi, I'll be your mana sponge for the run. Sorry in advance."
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 9:18 PMPosted by Dreagan
solution: buff melee self heals. Allow melee to have more self heals and thus equal out the melee taking more damage effect because their improved self healing means a net gain of all dps needing same mana from healers.

They tried this and the qq was immensely annoying.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
12/11/2010 1:15 AMPosted by Janaire
12/10/2010 9:18 PMPosted by Dreagan

They tried this and the qq was immensely annoying.

QQ over what? pvp concerns? Then put in a bg /arena self healing temp nerf or something.
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 7:24 PMPosted by Leonin

This thread is basically a WTF BLIZZ.

You mean "Way To Fight BLIZZ," right?

12/11/2010 1:15 AMPosted by Janaire
[quote="14063569762"]solution: buff melee self heals. Allow melee to have more self heals and thus equal out the melee taking more damage effect because their improved self healing means a net gain of all dps needing same mana from healers.

They tried this and the qq was immensely annoying.[/quote]

Assassination Rogues (and Cats) can talent a +20% on received heals. Fury Warriors get heals on hits and being hit. Maybe a little boost to these wouldn't be out of the question. Pally's can spam their own heals (it isn't much, but it's more than the rest of us can do).

However.

If we want it to be worth it for people to take melee DPS into raids, a better solution might be to just boost the DPS of those hurting back up (ala those Fury Warriors and yes, we Rogues). At least that would help towards balancing PvP too.
Reply Quote
12/11/2010 3:13 AMPosted by Madcapmcgee
However.

If we want it to be worth it for people to take melee DPS into raids, a better solution might be to just boost the DPS of those hurting back up (ala those Fury Warriors and yes, we Rogues).

Hahaha, yeah, no.

You can't just piggy back DPS buffs to every topic you see. This is a healer QQ thread.

IF there is a problem with even moderately competent healers dishing out melee group aoe heals, then Blizz would buff said heals as, out of all the player side changes (meaning, not changing the boss), buffing aoe heals would affect PvP the least.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/11/2010 3:13 AMPosted by Madcapmcgee
[quote="14060470893"]

Assassination Rogues (and Cats) can talent a +20% on received heals. Fury Warriors get heals on hits and being hit. Maybe a little boost to these wouldn't be out of the question. Pally's can spam their own heals (it isn't much, but it's more than the rest of us can do).

Poor Enhance. No one even remembers they exist. Dks either apparently.

Considering all the damage you see hitting melee, maybe having lotp back to helping them would be a nice fix.

Of course unless you have a feral in every 5 man it doesn't fix anything.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I don't envy melee at all. In fact on my druid I usually run around as a cat. But when I enter a dungeon I change out to boomkin. No way I'm running as melee. I cringe when thinking of leveling my pally though. :(
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
RoE
I thought it was just me.

As I got geared up I got a little better. When I first hit 85 it was terrible. I also noticed that if you make a mistake as melee it's almost always equals death (especially on heroic). So hopefully as we get more experienced in the instances it should get a little easier.

The amount of unavoidable melee damage seems a bit much at times though. Watching your 100k life (not that you have a HP advantage anymore if wearing plate) fall rather quickly while not being targeted by anything or standing in the wrong spot is quite annoying.
Reply Quote
12/10/2010 7:02 PMPosted by Jenseits
12/10/2010 7:00 PMPosted by Tashre
If the melee are dying doing their job, it means the healer isn't doing theirs.

And if the melee are just taking that much dmg and no one is doing something wrong?

Then nobody will die....
Reply Quote
12/11/2010 1:24 PMPosted by Kenmore
12/11/2010 1:22 PMPosted by Chillbill
[quote="14059970629"][quote="14059970609"]If the melee are dying doing their job, it means the healer isn't doing theirs.

And if the melee are just taking that much dmg and no one is doing something wrong?

Then nobody will die....[/quote]

And melee will still be doing subpar DPS. World of Castercraft, hooah![/quote]
Did the boss die?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]