Priests Renew. Why bother casting it?

85 Blood Elf Priest
4k mana @ 85 for a 2800 tick. The scaling is all wrong. My flash heal still heals for virtually the same as it did with wrath health pools and I am now expected to spend 6k mana on it. I am already relegating this to tanks under 25% health. So renew is useless with Cata health pools, flash is relegated to 25% of the fight and forget about Heal...what a dumb idea that was to implement a light-as-a-feather >2 sec cast heal. My regen is toast (I am hearing priests have it the worst, but that may just be QQ as loads of healers are hurting atm).

I suppose my sentiment is why are healers so screwed when tanks can tank and dps can dps, why cant' healers heal?
I played for 5 years for those of you thinking I am wrath-born scrub, before you start to lace into me with your pro-ness.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Healing is broken, I totally agree. Scaling is totally wrong, and druids have it bad too, as we are constantly casting and rarely get to 5 seconds. The new "cheap" heals like Heal and Nourish are totally useless, as they take forever to cast and do minor healing.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Renew isnt useless, just not as viable now. Nothing has changed as it has been a % of your max mana. With your mana pool much larger, the cast costs more mana. I admit that the new Renew and Flash Heal right now have the lowest/worst HPM right now and Renew is not worth keeping up like we used to in WotLK. I do still find it viable in mobile fights or on a DPS that isnt worth you losing focus on the tank but that you can afford the mana to hit him with a renew.

Heal IS now a viable heal and is our new "Flash Heal" if you want to look at it like that.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/10/2010 6:43 PMPosted by Restochango
Healing is broken, I totally agree. Scaling is totally wrong, and druids have it bad too, as we are constantly casting and rarely get to 5 seconds. The new "cheap" heals like Heal and Nourish are totally useless, as they take forever to cast and do minor healing.

You may be right, Heal is a very long cast for its output but keep in mind, it is keeping your Grace active and reducing Weakened Soul.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 6:44 PMPosted by Insheadii
Renew isnt useless, just not as viable now. Nothing has changed as it has been a % of your max mana. With your mana pool much larger, the cast costs more mana. I admit that the new Renew and Flash Heal right now have the lowest/worst HPM right now and Renew is not worth keeping up like we used to in WotLK. I do still find it viable in mobile fights or on a DPS that isnt worth you losing focus on the tank but that you can afford the mana to hit him with a renew.

Heal IS now a viable heal and is our new "Flash Heal" if you want to look at it like that.

Obviously. My intent was to post something quickly. I agree with mobility usage, but the scaling of EVERY heal in the game is busted. We are still healing for virtually the same throughput as we did in Wrath, but are now expected to heal more incoming damage and and larger health pools. 50%+ of my mana to top off the group AFTER a pull. Come ON?!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Uh..I cast renew at the start of the fight on the tank and never cast it again? Heal+Chakra...keeps renew on the target permanently.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2010 6:51 PMPosted by Vazziera
Eh.. bubble is way to mana expensive to cast for its output.. so.. no need to worry bout reducing that weakened soul.. 3500 mana for 6k absorb?

Couldn't agree more. It is more beneficial to use it in Holy spec on a tank. Although I am getting 11k abosrbs out of mine. 3500 mana for 11k abosrb is pretty unbalanced to me considering you have hundreds of thousands of damage to heal in heroic boss content.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/10/2010 6:43 PMPosted by Restochango

The 5 second rule is gone, you can no longer get faster regen by not casting for 5 sec. Mana regen is constant during combat, and goes up when you are out of combat.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Renew is only worth casting as Holy while in Heal Chakra so you can roll it indefinitely. Worthwhile for a tank, but that's about it. I think the intent was to make Renew the Priest version of Lifebloom - we have the option to cast it on multiple people but it's so inefficient at this gear level there's no point. When we have enough haste to add another tick things might be different.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/10/2010 6:58 PMPosted by Enfermera
12/10/2010 6:51 PMPosted by Vazziera
Eh.. bubble is way to mana expensive to cast for its output.. so.. no need to worry bout reducing that weakened soul.. 3500 mana for 6k absorb?

Couldn't agree more. It is more beneficial to use it in Holy spec on a tank. Although I am getting 11k abosrbs out of mine. 3500 mana for 11k abosrb is pretty unbalanced to me considering you have hundreds of thousands of damage to heal in heroic boss content.

Take into account Divine Aegis as well. I know it isnt much but still it has to be accounted for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]